Flow Issues With New Cs Nib

Thornton

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dandy Heritage with a fine nib that is having some flow problems. The pen will right fine at first, sometimes up to a page and then it completely dries up. I shake the pen and the ink starts flowing again for about a line or two and then dries up again. I've flushed the repeatedly with water and dish soap but still nothing. I've also tried several different inks but still nothing. Has anyone else experienced this with a CS nib? If so, were you able to correct it yourself or was it off to Conway Stewart for repair? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wpk123

• jar

• Thornton

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what you say, it sounds like an issue with the feed canal. There may be a small particle blocking it, or the channel at the end of the canal may not be deep enough, or it may not be lining up with the slit in the nib right. In any case this can be easily fixed. You can unscrew the feed and nib and make the adjustments, but I would recommend sending it to Conway Stewart. They fix their pens and your pen may still be under warranty. Also my diagnoses could be wrong.

I would recommend sending Mary Burke an email.

I am dealing with a similar issue with one of my pens. I will pop out the feed when I get a chance.

From what you say, it sounds like an issue with the feed canal. There may be a small particle blocking it, or the channel at the end of the canal may not be deep enough, or it may not be lining up with the slit in the nib right. In any case this can be easily fixed. You can unscrew the feed and nib and make the adjustments, but I would recommend sending it to Conway Stewart. They fix their pens and your pen may still be under warranty. Also my diagnoses could be wrong.

I would recommend sending Mary Burke an email.

I am dealing with a similar issue with one of my pens. I will pop out the feed when I get a chance.

Thanks for the response. I think it may very well be that there is something blocking the feed. I noticed some kind of grease around the area of the pen where the converter meets the feed and when I unscrewed the nib and feed from the section there was more of this grease. I'm wondering if some of this grease could have gotten in the feed canal. I've worked with Mary Burke before and she is always wonderful. I'll play with the pen a little more and see what happens.

Would still love to hear others' experience.

I'd first clean out as much of the "grease" as possible, then do a regimen of flushing. Next I'd try a cartridge and see if the problem continues.

I've had flow problems with 2 of my 4 modern CS's; in both cases I sent them to the CS NA distributor for repair.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I'm having the same problem with two of my five Conway Stewarts. Exactly the symptoms you describe. It's gotten so I just don't pick them up because I don't want to get part way through a document and be hassling with a pen flow issue. One of the problem nibs came from CS support as a nib trade. Please report back on what the ultimate solution might be. I'd really like to have full use of these beautiful pens.

I cleaned the pen again last night and have not had any more problems as of yet. I'll try writing with the pen a little more today and see what happens.

I had similar issues with my Churchill (lever fill) skipping and drying up after a page or two. The retailer was very good about it - we tried three different nib/feed combinations before I gave up and sent it in for warranty repair. Currently waiting to get it back.

Greetings,

There are a few things you can try that may lessen the problem.

If you think that there is contamination or the pen has sat a long time without use, consider using a 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water solution. Let the nib/feed assembly soak in this overnight. During this time, use the converter to bring the solution up through the nib/feed assembly. Do this 10-20 times or until you are certain that there is no more ink coloration or other contaminates and then do it 5 more times. You might have to do this for 2 or 3 days but the result is worth the effort. In addition to this, I always clean my pens before putting them aside if I'm not going to use them for a week or two.

With regard to the nib running dry, there are a few steps to take.

1. If you can slide a piece of paper between the nib and the feed, the nib is not tight enough against the feed to promote capillary flow of ink to the tip of the nib. If this is the case, send it away to be repaired.

2. If the nib is tight to the feed, take a very close look at the space between the tines. Use a jeweler's loupe if you have one. If you cannot see daylight then you may not be getting enough ink, in a continuous flow manner, up to the tip. One way to fix this is to open ever so slightly - ever so slightly - the space between the tines. I use a safety razor blade for this. Insert the razor blade between the iridium tips and push it forward and down on the top of the nib. Do not press to cut or indent the feed. Just to insert the razor blade between the tines ever so gently - or, ever so gently. This will open the space between the tines and help to promote more ink flow. If you feel at all nervous about doing this second suggestion, do not try it. It takes a steady gentle touch.

Cleaning a nib thoroughly with the ammonia/water solution may well solve the problem. I advise caution if one were to consider using a razor blade to open the space between the tines. If you feel at all uncomfortable about doing it, send the pen away to have the nib tweaked. However, this is something that has worked well for me.

Peace,

Phroneo's Pens

Current Pen Set Rotation: Conway Stewart 27 Green Hatch Broad Nib, Vintage Conway Stewart '58' Tiger's Eye Medium Italic Nib & Conway Stewart 60L Red Herringbone Broad Italic Nib

• 1 month later...

I've just bought my first modern CS, the exquisite Spirit of Life pen with the Henry Simpole overlay. Amazing pen and wonderful to hold and admire.

The nib is a real problem though, with the same issues others have described above. Out of the ten made, two had nib issues.

And from what others have said here, well, I'm less than impressed with CS's quality control as far as nibs are concerned. Can't see myself rushing to buy more if that's the standard I can expect, which is a shame, as they make some really beautiful pens that I would be happy to own.

Edited by Miranda

Wow this is like deja vu all over again.

Every few months another one of these "Trouble with ink flow on my modern CS" threads pop up. By my count there are 7 problem pens identified in this thread at present.

Invariably the recommendation is that the troubled member email the wonderful Mary Bourke who I understand always provides prompt assistance to the customer.

As I have said a number of times before:

1. Ms Bourke is to be complimented for her personal attention to customer satisfaction:but

2. When will Conway Stewart realize that they are in the business of manufacturing and selling high end writing instruments, not just pretty paperweights, and give more attention to the writing facilities of their pens.

I have owned 5 modern CS pens in the last few years . I now have one, a Churchill which has a modified and ink-flow corrected nib thanks to a US- based nibmeister.

All the others were sold off due to, you guessed it folks, consistently poor or intermittent ink flow.

These are undoubtedly beautiful pens but will someone with an in with the CS management please pass this message on for me? - "A lot of the pens you sell do not write well "

I had a similar problem with my Coronet, and it ended being serviced under warranty. I also recommend sending a note to Mary Burke.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I have a Belliver that originally had an Italic Fine nib. It had the same flow issues that others have described. Dick Egolf of Luxury Brands in the US took care of the problem for me by swapping out the IF for a Fine which was adjusted by Mike Masuyama. Since receiving the pen back a couple of weeks ago, it's one of my favorite pens -- wet-writing, starts immediately, no flow problems, smooth as silk.

Since the Belliver was my first Conway Stewart, I'm not in a position to know if these problems are common -- though this thread sheds some light on the subject.

I look forward to owning more Conway Stewarts for two reasons: the pens are beautiful / exude quality and CS will make them right (at least in the US) through Dick Egolf at Luxury Brands and his nibmeister -- Mike Masuyama.

John

I too seem to be having flow issues with a new CS nib. It writes perfectly for a few pages, and then a big blorp of ink floods the feed and drops onto the page. It's acting kind of like an eyedropper pen just before it runs empty--you know that tell-tale blorp of excess ink just before the pen needs refilling--but I am using the converter and the pen is about 80% full. This is the second time it has happened, using two different kinds of inks (Noodler's and Montblanc). Neither blorps occurred directly after filling, and I always blot the excess ink from the feed after filling anyway. The blorp lasts for a word or two and then flow returns to normal. I don't think it could be a pressure or temperature change as the pen has remained indoors, in the same room of my house. I don't know what would cause such blorping... any ideas?

I too seem to be having flow issues with a new CS nib. It writes perfectly for a few pages, and then a big blorp of ink floods the feed and drops onto the page. It's acting kind of like an eyedropper pen just before it runs empty--you know that tell-tale blorp of excess ink just before the pen needs refilling--but I am using the converter and the pen is about 80% full. This is the second time it has happened, using two different kinds of inks (Noodler's and Montblanc). Neither blorps occurred directly after filling, and I always blot the excess ink from the feed after filling anyway. The blorp lasts for a word or two and then flow returns to normal. I don't think it could be a pressure or temperature change as the pen has remained indoors, in the same room of my house. I don't know what would cause such blorping... any ideas?

An air leak in the system.

Thanks, Jar. Do you think the problem will be solved if I put in a new converter? Or is it likely a feed issue?

Thanks, Jar. Do you think the problem will be solved if I put in a new converter? Or is it likely a feed issue?

First thing I'd try is a few cartridges. See if it happens with cartridges.

Well, I was writing shortly after my last post, and the pen blorped again, so I switched to a cartridge to see if the issue would persist. It was fine for a page or so and then blorp. So cartridges do not help. :(

PS: Is this something that could be solved by a nibmeister?

Edited by reprieve

Well, I was writing shortly after my last post, and the pen blorped again, so I switched to a cartridge to see if the issue would persist. It was fine for a page or so and then blorp. So cartridges do not help. :(

PS: Is this something that could be solved by a nibmeister?

The next step I'd suggest would be to contact Conway Stewart. If in the US contact Mary Burke, if in the UK I'd contact CS direct, or you can contact the store you bought it from.

Thanks for your help, Jar. I bought the pen from Bryant, and I know he'll take care of it for me. I'm just sad to have to send it back! :(

To the OP: sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope your flow issue is resolved soon.