The Best Legal Pads Which Are Fountain Pen Friendly?

Boston Brian

My legal pad of choice has been Black N' Red.

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Bookman

• amberleadavis

• scribere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pro-Stat-Plus make the best legal pads. All the best solicitors use them and I should imagine some of the worst ones as well.

No idea where to get them though.

I'm going to have to try the staples sugar cane paper. I just looked at a small notepad on Saturday, but went with a different one with heavier weight paper. I can't recall the brand, but I've used them before and they are pretty good and you can get leather bound ones relatively inexpensive.

I have had good luck with older Ampad Gold pads. Recently I have been using with great success Dollar General Stores DC Office legal pads made in Indonesia. The inks I have had success with are Waterman, Sheaffer Skrip, Private Reserve, and Pelikan 4001 inks; while using both medium and fine nibs. The exception has been with some Diamine inks, go figure. At the price they are sure worth a try IMO.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

• 2 months later...

My legal pad of choice has been Black N' Red.

Discontinued and completely sold out, unfortunately. AARGH! You can still get the paper in notebooks, though.

I've had great success with TOPS and Docket Gold from Office Depot. I write with FP on these, under a document camera projector in my classroom, with no trouble.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

Recently I have been using with great success Dollar General Stores DC Office legal pads made in Indonesia.

Me too. I was impressed with their letter writing paper. When I went back to the Dollar General store I picked up a pack of the legal pad paper. I was amazed at how well the paper took fountain pen ink. In fact, it's the first paper I have used that really shows off the sheen of my recently accquired Parker Sapphire ink.

I just ordered some Ampad Gold Fibre writing pads from Amazon. They had a 4-pack of 50-page pads for $8.94. White, letter size. Regular price $18.49. Free 2-day shipping w Amazon Prime!! :thumbup:

The Staples sugarcane paper, in pads, is very good stuff. They still have it and it is not too expensive

I was an enthusiastic user of Ampad gold fibre pads as well as their 10 x 8 account books, until they transferred production from Canada to Mexico and started the use of recycled paper. Now, all bleed and feathering. But I did locate a stash of the canadian product and am hoarding them. I apreciate this thread as I look for susbstitutes...

+1

I read some old posts recommending the Ampad Gold Fibre and bought some, now it is the worst paper you can buy for a FP.

• 2 weeks later...

Red and Black has some good legal pads.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

If you are in the UK:

Cambridge Legal Pads (yellow/canary) are good. The paper feels slightly coated so it might not agree with every ink. No feathering or bleedthrough with most inks (the only one I have that seems to show through quite a bit is Noodler's #41 Brown). The total block size is A4, so when you tear paper out, it is 2 cm shorter than A4. Tears out cleanly and easily.

Pukka Pad "Comfort in Colour" series (brightly coloured paper pads, allegedly good for dyslexic people) - A4 with four punched holes, very good quality. The colours (including yellow) are quite intense, so they will not suit everybody. I like green the best. See http://www.pukka-pads.co.uk/our-products/colour-products . Pukka has some premium quality pads with 90 gsm white paper, too but I haven't tried them.

Rhodia pads - available in Paperchase or online. High quality, very fountain pen friendly, off-white. They come in oversize A4, so the torn-out page is full A4 in size. I especially like their dotpads.

Levenger notepads are excellent. I'm a hoarder of their old legal size 8.5 x 14 which they stopped producing and cleared them out at ridiculous prices years ago. They're less expensive than Rhodia and have super heavy paper.

• 3 weeks later...

Topps Docket Gold

Docket Diamond (the very best)

Doane

and Miquel Ruis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Recently I have been using with great success Dollar General Stores DC Office legal pads made in Indonesia.

Me too. I was impressed with their letter writing paper. When I went back to the Dollar General store I picked up a pack of the legal pad paper. I was amazed at how well the paper took fountain pen ink. In fact, it's the first paper I have used that really shows off the sheen of my recently accquired Parker Sapphire ink.

My wife and I went to the local Dollar General today, and I bought some of the yellow legal pads and one of those spiral top bound notebooks. This is a very nice paper for a buck! A tiny bit of showthrough, no bleedthrough, the ink dries quickly, and it isn't all scratchy like the printer paper I used to use. I don't get sheen though with my P51 and PR DC Supershow Blue, but my wife's pen filled with Supershow Green shades very nicely instead.

ken

Edited by loudkenny

Red and Black has some good legal pads.

Hello, I am new to FPN but have been using fountain pens with 'legal pads' for over 30 years. I used to really struggle at work, because they would chop and change what was available in the stationery cupboard, so now I just buy my own. The very best I have found, as adamselene alludes, are indeed Black n' Red. Specifically, I use their 200 page 'project books' which are made from premium 90gsm paper with a registered 'OPTIK PAPER' logo; they feature ruled, margin and 4-hole punched pages that are really easy to tear out. I would say they are the easiest of this style of books to cleanly tear out, leaving a full A4 page ready for a 4-hole ring binder etc.

I use a MB No 146 with Midnight Blue ink, but prior to that used MB black ink which is more 'watery'. The former ink is permanent and more forgiving, the latter tends to bleedthrough and feather; but both work well with the Black n' Red project paper. The ref. no. for the pads I use is: K66070 and tend to work out just under £10 (GBP) for the 200 pages, so around 5p (UK) per sheet which I guess is €0.04 and $0.03 at current exchange rates.

Kind regards

Edited by gauge_boson

Please do not adjust your mind, there is a temporary fault in reality

• 1 month later...

Topps Docket Gold

Docket Diamond (the very best)

Doane

and Miquel Ruis

Do you find the Docket Diamond pads better than the Rhodia R series? I have a stack fo the R series but I'm always looking for note pads and the Docket Diamonds are about half the price.

Thanks!

Edited by BiggieD