The Best Legal Pads Which Are Fountain Pen Friendly?

Boston Brian

I have been very pleased with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

The last time I bought them was about a year ago, but they were very FP friendly.

greg

I agree. Cambridge pads are also nice.

Agree as to both Ampad Gold Fibre and the Mead/Cambridge line, except that I think the Cambridge pads tend to be at a higher price point than Ampad.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Bookman

• amberleadavis

• scribere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want yellow, I highly recommend Staples Signa. This became my everyday writing paper months ago because I just got sick and bloody tired of white. It is smoother and more fountain-pen friendly than any other yellow paper in its price range. Be advised it is 15lb., and so it is one side only. Brick-and-mortars sell it in wide-rule, but I believe you can get narrow-rule online. I prefer wide. (Also be advised: Stay away from white Signa. I found it bargain-basement quality.)

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 1 month later...

I feel that Levenger quality has gone way down, and ink feathers, bleeds through, and I've given up on it. I am addicted to the "Circa" disc-binders, and use HP 32 lb copier paper and print my own templates. This is probably the best paper I have found, but I am not well versed in what is out there. It gives me the best smooth feel, and ink performs very well.

For work, I use the Tops narrow lined Double Docket. This is adequate for my needs, but not ideal. They have a higher quality "gold" legal pad, but it is not narrow lined, and not ok for my work. I don't know how they compare with the Ampad.

I very much like the Red and Black pads, but again they are not narrow lined, and I don't have occasion to use them much. They are a little slick.

I took advantage of this Stock-Up Sale to which I referred earlier and have found these newer pads to be even more fountain pen friendly than before. I am experiencing no bleed through or feathering and I use them daily with nibs of various sizes. I use the circa sheets as well, but I have not ordered new circa refills in a while because I had stocked up on them previously. The paper in the newer legal pads and the circa refills does not seem to be the same, but the newer circa paper might be different.

I would highly recommend any Levenger product, but as with anything it is a matter of personal taste.

Peace,

K. Byrd

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this thread is really helpful. I tend to take class notes on legal pads and also use them to write up problem sets to later tear out and hand in.

I just bought an Ampad Evidence Dual-Pad (extra thick backing board and more sheets than a usual pad) last week, I'll have to see how it takes fountain pen ink. The paper seems kind of thin, so I'm worried ink will bleed through.

it does not work at all with Aurora black. feathering and bleeding all over the place. quite disappointed since i like the law ruled papers... now it just sits home for pencil stuff.

works well with lamy blue-black though.

I am searching for paper too.... im starting to take notes in pen, to improve my writing with FPs, My handwriting is acceptable with pencil... I think.. but with FPs.. uhm.. yeah its sad.

I have been using Ampad Gold project planners for a long time and I thought that I would share that not all of it seems the same. I judge that by the feel because I have no need to buy variations that dont suit my peculiar needs. I have now a very wet writer and there is a little bleed when I stop the pen. This never was the case before with a normal medium point. So though it is very good it wont work for everyone.

• 2 months later...

I have used the planners which I buy from Staples for a long time and I noticed last year that they changed the paper. I judge this by the fact that it started showing through to an objectional degree. I emailed them about it but got no reply.

Be aware that they produce a similiar product for Walmart but with a white cover that is terrible. Cheaper yes but unusable.

• 2 weeks later...

Staple's Eco Friendly Sugarcane paper is fantastic and it comes in legal pads. I think I got 8 pads for about $12 so it's pretty cheap too.

Yep! That's the bagasse I'm talking about.

Hmm. I may swing by a Staples tomorrow after work, check this stuff out!

Dum spiro spero -- Cicero

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

+1 on the Ampad Gold Fibre pads

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Staple's Eco Friendly Sugarcane paper is fantastic and it comes in legal pads. I think I got 8 pads for about $12 so it's pretty cheap too.

I'm not finding any of the sugarcane paper on Staple's website. I must be looking in the wrong place.

I'm not finding any of the sugarcane paper on Staple's website. I must be looking in the wrong place.

It's under the Eco Friendly label here.

Edited by scribere

It's under the Eco Friendly label here.

Thank you! They have nice coupons too ... I wish we had a Staples near where I live, but the closest one is 100 miles away!

Do you know if there are any sugarcane envelopes??

Good question. Now I'm curious. Perhaps a new thread about this is needed?

Ampad Gold seems to be the clear favorite here, and I would have to agree. I can also recommend Tops Docket Gold. The paper isn't quite as smooth, but it's still better than average. I picked up a pack because I couldn't find Ampad at the local office store.

Ampad Gold seems to be the clear favorite here, and I would have to agree. I can also recommend Tops Docket Gold. The paper isn't quite as smooth, but it's still better than average. I picked up a pack because I couldn't find Ampad at the local office store.

+1 Tops Docket Gold. I use them every day.

Bob

I never finish anyth

• 1 year later...

Based on reviews, I got an Ampad Gold Fibre "Writing Pad" yesterday (wrong pad, oops)...tried it with four different pens (Sheaffer Craftsman, Waterman Phileas, Parker Vacumatic, and Baoer 3188) and four different inks (Diamine Red Dragon, Diamine Umber, Diamine Aqua Blue, and Diamine Sargasso Sea). Each time it feathered like no other. At this point, I can only presume the paper doesn't like Diamine ink.

I've read some of the other review, as well as this one (Duh!!), and I think I need to try the "Project Planner" or the "Planning Pad" versions of the Ampad line. When I get one of these two, I'll let you all know how they responded...

I received some samples (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, De Atramentis Havanna and Turquoise Green, and J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie) from Goulet and will be trying them out this weekend on the "Writing Pad" to see if it's an ink issue. Hopefully I'll have better luck with some of these.

I'll let everyone know ASAP.

~ Topher

I just discovered another paper source that is very fp friendly, Russell + Hazel.

http://www.russellandhazel.com/category/paper

The medium flip top pad is going to be one of my favs, it is 7.25 x 9.75, roughly the size of an iPad. This will make it very nice for meetings at work as we use both. I tried several pens and ink on each of the four different products that I was testing. No feathering at all, not even from my gushy Targa!

Oh, and the flip pad has dot lines rather than solid lines, nice. I an also trying two other post it pads and a spiral notebook. The notebook has a very rigid cover and back which is nice for lap writing. It is lined and ruled as more of a planner.

They even have some Lamy fountain pens listed under accessories, guess they would have to be fp friendly.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

I've found Tops Stinger pads to be excellent legal pads. Never had a problem with bleed-through on mine. They are meant only for single-sided use, though.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Life's too short to write with anything but a fountain pen!

• 1 month later...

I was an enthusiastic user of Ampad gold fibre pads as well as their 10 x 8 account books, until they transferred production from Canada to Mexico and started the use of recycled paper. Now, all bleed and feathering. But I did locate a stash of the canadian product and am hoarding them. I apreciate this thread as I look for susbstitutes...