The Best Legal Pads Which Are Fountain Pen Friendly?

Boston Brian

I use a lot of legal pads, or A4 pads as they say back in the UK, and I have a both an Office Max and Staples in my area, what is the best fountain pen friendly legal pad around, one that some of you guys have used and liked. I have no problem ordered online if a really good one is available from another source?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Bookman

• amberleadavis

• scribere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rhodia has some longer yellow (close to American legal sized) notepads but I rarely see them in shops. Amazon appears to have it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I have been very pleased with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

The last time I bought them was about a year ago, but they were very FP friendly.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Ampad Gold Fibre is great, and you might be able to find the Rhodia at Taget. Staples bagasse is also nice. It has a lot of show-through, but no bleed through, and I've used both sides many times. Pens write wider line than normal by one width, but it's very smooth and CHEAP!

Staple's Eco Friendly Sugarcane paper is fantastic and it comes in legal pads. I think I got 8 pads for about $12 so it's pretty cheap too.

Staple's Eco Friendly Sugarcane paper is fantastic and it comes in legal pads. I think I got 8 pads for about $12 so it's pretty cheap too.

Yep! That's the bagasse I'm talking about.

that stuff rules!

I used Ampad gold till I retired.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I have been very pleased with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

The last time I bought them was about a year ago, but they were very FP friendly.

greg

I agree. Cambridge pads are also nice.

Regards,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I do not really like the RHodia paper. It's shiny and slick and I have more issues with my nibs on it than other paper. I prefer my stock of Esleek onionskin and crane. I also like the Ampad gold but prefer single, unlined sheets as I write on one page at a time, never on a stack.

My pad of choice is the Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pad. I use it almost daily. The front side is gridded and the back side is ruled. It has a nice cover much like a Rhodia pad. In my experience it handles many fountain pen inks very well, especially Lamy Blue, Black, Blue-Black and some other ink brands/colors such as Sheaffer Skrip Black, Blue, etc.

So far the paper that's in the Franklin-Covey Executive Padfolio has been very good in my opinion.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

My pad of choice is the Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pad. I use it almost daily. The front side is gridded and the back side is ruled. It has a nice cover much like a Rhodia pad. In my experience it handles many fountain pen inks very well, especially Lamy Blue, Black, Blue-Black and some other ink brands/colors such as Sheaffer Skrip Black, Blue, etc.

I like those a lot, too. A bit toothy, which can be good, and the cream color is easy on the eyes--less glare.

My favorite paper is staples eco friendly. Unfortunately the pads it comes in suck; its very difficult to tear out a page, over a short amount of time the top pages will fall out practically on their own, and there are only 50 pages per pad which goes extremely fast.

So the best pads are rhodia. I don't like the paper as much because inks aren't as vibrant, shading isn't as visible, pens write thinner lines, ink dries slower, and the feel of drag is much greater than writing on eco friendly paper. Not to mention the pads are something like $10 each, compared to ~$2 per eco pad. On the bright side its very easy to remove a page if needed, they have a robust cover which protects the paper, comes with 80 or so sheets, pens write thinner lines so the paper lasts longer, and no quality control issues (although infrequent, sometimes half sheets of eco friendly are unusable due to crazy feathering or some kind of coating which prevents ink from setting).

Wow this thread is really helpful. I tend to take class notes on legal pads and also use them to write up problem sets to later tear out and hand in.

I just bought an Ampad Evidence Dual-Pad (extra thick backing board and more sheets than a usual pad) last week, I'll have to see how it takes fountain pen ink. The paper seems kind of thin, so I'm worried ink will bleed through.

MY ARTWORK

http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~irlin/paperwingsbanner.jpg

[sorry if the page does not load, the school server is sometimes slow]

I purchase my writing paper and pads from Levenger. All of their papers are designed to be fountain pen friendly. I have been looking, just today, to try and find something local that I could use that would be more readily available in case of short supply. Levenger is having a stock-up sale right now, so it is the time to buy.

Peace

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

I feel that Levenger quality has gone way down, and ink feathers, bleeds through, and I've given up on it. I am addicted to the "Circa" disc-binders, and use HP 32 lb copier paper and print my own templates. This is probably the best paper I have found, but I am not well versed in what is out there. It gives me the best smooth feel, and ink performs very well.

For work, I use the Tops narrow lined Double Docket. This is adequate for my needs, but not ideal. They have a higher quality "gold" legal pad, but it is not narrow lined, and not ok for my work. I don't know how they compare with the Ampad.

I very much like the Red and Black pads, but again they are not narrow lined, and I don't have occasion to use them much. They are a little slick.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Wow this thread is really helpful. I tend to take class notes on legal pads and also use them to write up problem sets to later tear out and hand in.

I just bought an Ampad Evidence Dual-Pad (extra thick backing board and more sheets than a usual pad) last week, I'll have to see how it takes fountain pen ink. The paper seems kind of thin, so I'm worried ink will bleed through.

Evidence is Ampad's 2nd quality line after Gold Fibre and still pretty fountain pen friendly. Their third and lower lines can only be described in words the auto-censor will object to.