Midori Traveler's Notebook

cubic archon

Just a quick note. I picked this up the other day as I immediately loved the rough tactile heavy leather. I preferred the very well-worn store sample, but they wouldn't sell it. Anyways, first impressions are very positive but it is also a bit strange... what the heck is the purpose of the round lump thing sticking out anyway. Also I am unsure about the cord system and why its that way. Heirphoto's post has inspired me to think about the possibilities of modifying it to my own purpose. The paper is wonderful for my fountain pen... a pleasure to write in....

more later.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cubic archon

• hedera

• inkypete

• KrazyIvan

What is Latigo - a stiff type of leather?

Latigo is basically a steerhide that is impregnated with oils and waxes. This makes it somewhat water repellant and gives it a rich looking, yet rustic finish. It will pick up scars with use that to me enhances the look. I use this on my covers. While similar to the Midori design I did away with the cord on the outer spine and added two additional cords inside so multiple inserts could be used, and not just a specialized size from a single source. I also moved the fastening point for the keeper away from the back cover so you have a flat right side page to write on without the knot making a bump there.

Tony

Thanx for you post. Having trouble understanding how you modified cords. Any chance of posting inside/outside pix?

Thanx

what the heck is the purpose of the round lump thing sticking out anyway

It's to... er... it's because it... um... it holds the ends of the bits of elastic together. Or something.

Whatever the reason, it gets less irritating after a while. Honest.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you put more than one notebook refill in the cover at the same time?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

When you put in a zip bag and a cardholder can you get in two refills as well?

Or can you fit those and one refill.

I want to get one today, if it can store a bit of paper and these inserts.

Yes, you can get a zip bag, a cardholder and two refills in quite easily, if you use the extra elastic that comes with the cover. :thumbup:

I recently got the Passport sized Traveler's notebook, and loved it so much I immediately bought the regular sized TN after!

I've already customized it with the zipper insert (for both), and plan to do the same multi-book elastic mod that is posted on one of the Flickr sets for TNs. As soon as I figure out how to properly (and nicely) punch the extra holes, I'll post some photos as well! I used my TN for the first time in a work meeting today and it was fantastic - the page size actually works quite well for flowing thoughts and capturing diagrams, etc.

Keisuke_Z, there is no need at all to punch extra holes to put in more inserts!

You can use the spare elastic, and/or use the 'short end' of the elastic that's already in there.

If you configure it right, you could put at least 5 or 6 inserts in, in total - which would be too thick I think, but if a few of those are zipper pockets, etc, it works great.

Ordered from new Aussie supplier. Quick service and I love it. The paper in the notebooks is very good. I have had a qucik test with Lamy, Duofold and 51s in fine and medium. All wrote well, no bleed and no showthrough. Great paper. Love the whole system but the Aussie supplier only has limited refill range. I have emailed Journal Shop in UK for a quote on freight for extra refills but no answer after three days. That's disapointing.

Keisuke_Z, there is no need at all to punch extra holes to put in more inserts!

You can use the spare elastic, and/or use the 'short end' of the elastic that's already in there.

If you configure it right, you could put at least 5 or 6 inserts in, in total - which would be too thick I think, but if a few of those are zipper pockets, etc, it works great.

hedera - I tried to thread a new elastic through the existing holes to add more loops for extra inserts, but couldn't fit it through... I like having the refills in consecutively instead of just stacked (does that make sense? >.<). Ah well - holes are punched, so it's a one way street, and it doesn't look too bad either! If I eventually consolidate the elastic tips into the metal knob thingy, then it'll look almost factory. =)

I have been interested in these notebooks for a while but never really looked for a US distributor. I eventaually purchased a similar hand made notebook by a Flickr member that goes by the name toku chan, iirc. She calls it the Brain Pocket. I will have to link to my photos of it later as I am not versed in linking from within my iPod.

Here are the photos of my Brain Pocket. I should really say it's my wife's but I will claim it back soon. :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/sets/72157616964478679/with/3456120185/

The person that made it is toku_chan on Flickr and lives in Japan. It was a little awkward communicating since her English is not the best and my Japanese is non-existent, but we communicated fine.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Here are the photos of my Brain Pocket. I should really say it's my wife's but I will claim it back soon. :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/sets/72157616964478679/with/3456120185/

The person that made it is toku_chan on Flickr and lives in Japan. It was a little awkward communicating since her English is not the best and my Japanese is non-existent, but we communicated fine.

Hey, that's nice. How do the notebooks attach to the cover, and where can you get the refills?

Hey, that's nice. How do the notebooks attach to the cover, and where can you get the refills?

They attach via an elastic cord similar to what the Midori uses to keep closed. Just find the center of the book and insert through the cord. As far as refills in the US, I have not found any but I think a Kinokuniya stationery store might have them and if not, they might have a similar size that will work with it. I might be able to get some through Toku_Chan. So far, my wife has not needed refills but if I claim the notebook I might.

Edited by KrazyIvan

Dang you all! Now I want one too... it looks so nice :(

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comprehensive review Cubic.

I cracked and bought one, even though I thought it was a bit pricey. I've been using it for a few days now, but as soon as I had it in my hands I knew it was the notebook for me. Like you say, there is just something about it. Simple yet elegant. The ability to have multiple different refills in it is perfect for me, as is the paper quality. It's simplicity also makes it easy to add your own customisations.

EF

Loving my Midori - getting it ready for a forthcoming trip to the USA and Canada. For any aussies interested notemaker.com.au now carry the range. The paper is very FP friendly and the options to use different refills is fantastic. This travel notebook is very addictive.

Loving my Midori - getting it ready for a forthcoming trip to the USA and Canada. For any aussies interested notemaker.com.au now carry the range. The paper is very FP friendly and the options to use different refills is fantastic. This travel notebook is very addictive.

Welcome to the cult!

Welcome to the cult!

Do we have a secret handshake? Always wanted one of them.

Well I finally caved, after all the rave reviews I got the limited edition "Camel" Midori and its amazing!