Thanks for Your Company

Bradley

I am a host at Bilmore House in Asheville, North Carolina. I have enjoyed fountain pens since elementary school, my first being a Sheaffer "school pen" purchased from a drug store. I have a similar pen amongst my collection now, and it is still one of my favorites and most reliable. Although I used ballpens mainly throughout school, I dabbled with fountain pens growing up and for my graduation from Connecticut College received a satin chrome Sheaffer Targa and a lustrous chrome Century fountain pen. I still have both of these pens, and they work better than ever.

For the past couple of years, I have been especially interested in fountain pens and have probably bought far too many. I caught the Parker "51" bug and have acquired a few, but my handwriting is fairly large and quick, and most of these needle-point pens don't suit my hand -- save for an English cordovan "51" with a nice round medium nib. I guess I never really learned to hold a pen properly -- my third finger is right up there next to my index finger -- but my penmanship is okay and, at 42 years of age, it seems extraordinarily awkward to change my grip now.

At Biltmore House, we starch our shirts and shine our shoes, so my fountain pens seem perfectly at home there. I never understand the well-dressed and well-groomed person who whips out a cheap disposable plastic pen. If one uses a pen day after day, as most do, why not at least have a decent ballpen, let alone a fountain pen. I enjoy ballpens as well, but I vote for the standard refill; the gel refills, in my opinion, dry out when you least expect it and are on the whole unreliable. I even tried the Itoya gel refill in my Parker ballpens, but was not impressed.

I live with my partner of fourteen years, Darren, and we have a chihuahua-rat terrier mix "daughter" named Betina Consuelo de Juarez Chihuahua, though we know her simply as "Tina." I enjoy travelling, old movies, cooking (sometime -- eating out is nice too), playing the violin once in a blue moon, and writing letters and poems.

I am glad to be in such good company and look foward to sharing my pen experiences with you. I have found the information here to be very helpful indeed.

--Bradley

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bradley

• JimStrutton

• playpen

• Ruaidhri

Another from the Great State of North Carolina......If we keep this up maybe one day we'll have as many fountain pen users as.....as.....well, I dunno, but someplace with lots of 'em. <G>

Welcome!

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Hi bradley!

welcome ( i feel a little strange saying that because I am so very new, too :ph34r: ) but as a new member everyone here is so lovely and helpful ... and ... well.. welcoming..

the bad side about these people is that they FUEL your addiction and make you LOSE SLEEP about the incredible pens they review...

it's a really fun community and I hope you have as much fun here as I do. My wallet is really sad, though. :)

I have to say, I am intrigued by "host at Biltmore House"

what is Biltmore house? I would love to hear a bit more about it....

Hello Bradley,

Welcome to our very special group of Pen-nauts (or pen nuts). There is a lot of great stuff to learn here and both or experts and our newbies share lots of opinions, some of which is actually useful!

We also have a bit of strange fun, weird humor, recipe exchange (both ink and dessert) as well as some very fine pen reviews, contests, and scandal.

Many of the worlds greatest FP collectors and restorers and nibmeisters hang about with us on FPN and NONE of them (or none of us) are crass merchants, blithering idiots, or too big-headed to answer a question that has been asked or answered many times before.

Welcome again and we look forward to your active participation!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Welcome to FPN. The wealth of experience in all things involving pens and ink is inexhaustable here. Enjoy. Share your experiences with us. We all enjoy hearing of others' experiences. ( Boy, I've got to get out out of the experience rut.)

Edited by mike1

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Welcome, Bradley!

And WOW! What a job! I can't think of a more beautiful place to go everyday. My last visit there was about 20 years ago.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Welcome Bradley! We're very glad you've joined us!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I caught the Parker "51" bug and have acquired a few, ...

Me. too. I dunno why, they're funny looking. With the exception of the Empire cap, which I would kill for. Hey, only kidding! (Kinda.) ;)

... we have a chihuahua-rat terrier mix "daughter" named Betina Consuelo de Juarez Chihuahua, though we know her simply as "Tina."

We have a "Chihuweenie", a Chihuahua-Dachshund mix, named Peanut (though "Fat Sausage" might be more appropriate). My wife wanted a fluffy little white dog, and so the kids got her a sleek (like a fat seal) not-so-little-as-he-should-be black dog. Hinky as he is, he owns the bed, but generously allows us to sleep there at night. :lol: Welcome to FPN from another relative newbie, just don't boast and make me squirm on mint Fleabay 51s and Vacs gotten at under $20. :roflmho:

Nihonto Chicken

and we have a chihuahua-rat terrier mix "daughter" named Betina Consuelo de Juarez Chihuahua, though we know her simply as "Tina

wow, what an elegant name is that!

Welcome aboard!

I am especially glad to welcome another "51"er to this board :D

You are bound to get along here with your fine taste in Fountain Pens and also I agree, the Parker Gel refills just don't work, if I have to use a BP the I will use a Parker BP Refill :rolleyes:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Hi Bradley,

Give Tina a hug from me :)

Don't buy any more "51"s. They are nasty, smelly, dangerous things.

In all honesty I should also mention that this will leave more of them for me :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

What a nice, warm welcome from all of you! Thank you. You made my day.

Nipu, Biltmore House is America's largest home! Naturally, you would expect to find this in Texas, but. . . Biltmore House was completed in 1895; she celebrated her 110th birthday last Christmas Eve. Biltmore House was (is) the home of George Washington Vanderbilt, the youngest child of William Henry Vanderbilt, who for a number of years in the mid- to late-1800s was the wealthiest man in the world. The Vanderbilt fortune was begun by Cornelius Vanderbilt (the "Commodore") who began the Staten Island Ferry system in New York City and later became involved in railroads, most notably New York Central. Unlike his father and grandfather, George Vanderbilt did not care for business and was of an artistic temperament, enjoying travelling, reading, and collecting things. Mr. Vanderbilt was quiet and reserved, bright and studious, and a very sensitive and charitable man. It is my belief that he built Biltmore House more for his guests than for himself; he saw the house as a showcase for his great collection and as a way to share his good fortune with others. Today, the house remains completely privately owned by Mr. Vanderbilt's descendants, by whom I am employed. The house still has all of its original furniture, although the upholstery is an exact reproduction of the original where possible. In a nutshell, it is our wish that you see the house just as Mr. Vanderbilt's guests would have. But I simply cannot stop myself from going on about this paradise, and so I urge you to visit Biltmore.com for more information.

By the way, the house is chock-full of old dip pens and desk sets!

Judybug, you must come back and visit. All four floors have been restored now, and the grounds are more beautiful than ever.

Nihontochicken, your little chihuweenie sounds like a gem indeed!

Ruaidri, Tina says thanks for the hug. Oops! There she goes again, chewing up another Parker "51" convertible. C'est la vie!

Mr. Strutton, have you tried the Itoya gel refills? They do fit Parker Pens nicely, but to me they write like a 60s ballpoint that skips and they are shaped like a needle. On the positive side, they are buttery smooth.

Zorroflores, Tina appreciates the fact that you find her name elegant, but she thinks that yours is far more so and, while flattered, has exhibited signs of jealousy since reading your post.

And thank you so much, HyperCamper, sonia-simone, mike1, amh210 ("both ink and dessert" -- that takes the cake -- so to speak!) and everyone else for your kind greetings. I am greatly appreciative.

--Bradley

Playpen, thank you for your interest. In the past few days, I have purchased a Parker "51" mechanical pencil and a Parker "21" pen and pencil set, both from eBay. I am unsure of the exact color of the "51" pencil, but I am hoping it is navy grey and that it will match a "51" pen that I already have. Of course, the pen has a fine nib, not my preference, and so now I'm keeping one eye peeled for a medium- or broad-nib navy grey pen -- and so it never ends. I have two Parker "21"s already: one is black, which I purchased in mint condition, and lovely indeed -- one of the best and "wettest" nibs I have encountered -- quite impressed; the other, a burgundy one with an arrow clip, a bit fine for me and nice enough, but not as nice as the black. I do miss the little grey pearl, though, that one finds on the "51"s.

I am trying to be more cautious with my eBay purchases, however. Almost two weeks ago, I ordered yet another "51" pencil, and when I enquired about whether or not it had been shipped a few days after my immediate payment, the seller responded that he would "probably" be shipping it soon. This did not set well with me: not so much the delay in shipping, for there is often a good reason, but his attitude was not an especially friendly one -- and I've yet to receive the pencil. Just the same, it hasn't been two weeks yet -- quite -- and so I will remind myself to be patient and let this rest over the weekend, and then... Before that particular transaction, I had purchased a Brooks Brothers sweater, and it took the seller more than four days to ship it by the slowest means possible, even though in his listing he stated that all shipments would take place within 24-48 hours after payment had been made. But please don't get me wrong; I've had for the most part very good experiences with eBay, but now I have learned to be a little more cautious. I believe that some sellers have a very positive feedback rating because they "hold the buyer" hostage and will not leave positive feedback for the buyer until the buyer has left positive feedback for the seller, which to me is not right. I believe that the seller should leave feedback for the buyer once payment has been made. But, I digress...

Naturally, now that I am openly a pen addict, I am always watching several auctions on eBay, and I spend just a little bit too much time in office supply stores. I will be away this weekend and -- who knows? -- I might come across a nice pen that fate had in store for me!

More importantly, Playpen, what pens have you purchased lately? And do tell me a little about yourself.

--Bradley

Er....I "bearly" know what to say! Let's see...I just purchased a Frank Lloyd Wright fountain pen and a Medici in sapphire from Levenger's wacky website. I say wacky because if you dare to try to put in an order online, you may be charged very much more in shipping fees than if you call the order in on the phone. They claim their software can't handle multiple items....my nineteen dollar shipping charge was reduced to six dollars when I called the order in.

As for the other part of your question...let's see....I can absolutely resist buying fountain pens....and if you believe that one..guess what? I'll tell you another one!!

Hi Bradley,

Mr. Strutton, have you tried the Itoya gel refills? They do fit Parker Pens nicely, but to me they write like a 60s ballpoint that skips and they are shaped like a needle. On the positive side, they are buttery smooth.

I have not tried them, in fact I don't think I have ever seen them on sale in the UK, not that I have looked that hard. But to put it into perspective, the last time I bought a BP Refill was about three years ago, the last time I bought Ink was yesterday :eureka:

Thanks for the tip though, in about two years I will go looking :ltcapd:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Hello Bradley,

I'm familiar with the Biltmore House because I am a fan of the New York Central railroad and am familiar with the Vanderbilt Family. I've never had the pleasure of seeing it in person, but from the A&E and History Channel documentaries I have seen- it is a beautiful place; however, I would imagine working there is a demanding job so I am more inclined to lend you my sympathy rather then my envy.

At any rate, welcome to FPN- it's a happening place if you love pens or inks or preferably both; I'm big on inks but I’m also quite fond of pens because without them, what good is the ink? :unsure:

Here you will find answers to any pen or ink question you can think of- some of them will even be right! :) Rest assured, if you ever post a question you will probably receive several answers from varying POVs but that is what makes the FPN such a valuable resource for pen and ink information- the wide breadth of knowledge and personal experiences; albeit somewhat confusing sometimes, occasionally leaving the inquisitor more confused then he was before asking the question. :D

Enjoy, but be very, very careful- this site has ruined many marriages, businesses and lives- its extremely addictive. It won’t be long before you find every waking hour spent in front of your monitor with a glazed expression on your face. :huh:

Best regards & welcome,

Sean

corniche

:)

* Edited for spelling and grammatical error correction. :huh:

Edited by corniche

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.