The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor 1911 (ef) And Pilot Falcon (sf) For Sketching

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 16:51

Posted Image

Just received my Sailor 1911 this morning and I'm a happy bunny! :bunny01:

My first impression is that the Sailor 1911 (EF) fits very well unposted in my hands. I'm amazed at how smooth the EF nib is considering it lays down a needlepoint line.
It pretty much translates every movement to paper, so I've found with writing I'm having to slow down for greater control.
In terms of sketching, the Sailor EF is a dream to use. Unlike the Pilot Falcon, I don't have to worry about any skipping or dry starts.

At the moment, my only ink is Lamy Black. I've got some Sailor Kiwa-Guro ink coming in soon so hopefully this may solve the falcons dry starts and I can have some fun with watercolours!

Sponsored Content

#2 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 17:25

It sounds like there may be something not quite right with your Falcon. It should be very smooth when little pressure is applied and only skip if you are doing a lot of flexing and it can't keep up with the ink demand.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#3 Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 18:18

The skipping with the Falcon is probably due to my technique whilst sketching: drawing long varying line widths quickly.
I'm still learning how to compensate for this, where shorter slower strokes will work.

As for writing with the Falcon, it never skips but suffers from dry starts occasionally using Lamy Black ink.

#4 limesally

limesally

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2010 - 18:59

The skipping with the Falcon is probably due to my technique whilst sketching: drawing long varying line widths quickly.
I'm still learning how to compensate for this, where shorter slower strokes will work.

As for writing with the Falcon, it never skips but suffers from dry starts occasionally using Lamy Black ink.

I'm glad you're enjoying the 1911, but like Lloyd, am surprised you're having trouble with skipping or dry starts with the Falcon, even used as described. It's certainly worth trying some different inks to see what works better for you - I've had no trouble with Noodler's black, Tsuki-yo, Legal Lapis, among others.

Great sketches! I just figure that you now have two great sketching pens instead of just one :)

oh - and for either pen - I really like playing with the Noodler's near-bulletproofs, when you wash over it with water the black stays, and the colored part releases. Fun.

Edited by limesally, 28 August 2010 - 19:05.

#5 Crewel

Crewel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2010 - 19:05

Great sketches!

I would have to agree with Lloyd and Limesally, your Falcon should not be having that much of skipping issue. Even when I write Copperplate letters with my Falcon, there wasn't any problem. I would suggest a clean and flush to see if that might alleviate your issues. Mine is fairly wet for normal writing so YMMV.

As for the Sailor, how smooth is the nib? Does it equal to the praises many have about Sailor nibs?

#6 Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 20:16

The 1911 was bought new and the Falcon off an FPN member. I'll leave the Falcon nib in a tub of water overnight and see if a flush and clean will help.

limesally: had fun going through your blog. Your sketches are really lively and vivid.

Crewel: These are my only fountain pens (for now) so I don't really have the wealth of reference to compare nibs.
After purchasing the Falcon, for contrast I wanted something better for journalling in Moleskines and something with a stiff fine nib.
After a bit of research, I narrowed it down to either a Sailor 1911 ef or Pelikan m800 ef. It seems that the Sailor 1911 was a safer choice with factory nib.

I'll see to improving my sketching and handwriting before delving into a Pelikan pen :happyberet:

#7 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2010 - 22:24

Cool drawings, Mockingbird. The 1911 looks like a real winner!

Regards,

Joey

http://flexiblenib.com

#8 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:26

My Falcon gave behaved as yours does. I eventually sent it to Mike It Work and he fixed the problem and tuned it to fit my drawing hand.
I draw very fast and want a pen to keep up with me.

Sponsored Content

|