Graf Von Faber-castell Classic Review

rogerico

That is unfortunate to hear..Hmm, perhaps I could take it off you for about 150$. Just to give you a hand there as you seem to be struggling with the pen. ;)

Rogerico, GvFC have a website where you can order spare parts, including nibs. Take a look at the second and third pages.

http://shop.fabercastell.com/c/spare-parts_fountain-pen-nibs?pp=12&pg=1

I recently purchased an Oblique Broad and I find it writes beautifully. You might wish to change the nib, for a different size and this might improve the feel of your pen.

On the other hand, though I might get in trouble for saying this, seeing as this is fountain pen site, the classic series rollerball and fountain pen have identical bodies and section/front piece threads. You can replace the fountain pen section with a rollerball front piece (the rollerball sections are also sold on their website). I have converted one of my rollerballs into a fountain pen this way after being informed of this bit of knowledge from a service technician. I still have the rollerball section and can post pictures if you would like to see. By the way the platinum plated rollerball front piece retails for approximetely $44.

Your GvFC is such a beautiful pen it would be a shame if it was not being used.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• clear1

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogerico, GvFC have a website where you can order spare parts, including nibs. Take a look at the second and third pages.

http://shop.fabercastell.com/c/spare-parts_fountain-pen-nibs?pp=12&pg=1

I recently purchased an Oblique Broad and I find it writes beautifully. You might wish to change the nib, for a different size and this might improve the feel of your pen.

On the other hand, though I might get in trouble for saying this, seeing as this is fountain pen site, the classic series rollerball and fountain pen have identical bodies and section/front piece threads. You can replace the fountain pen section with a rollerball front piece (the rollerball sections are also sold on their website). I have converted one of my rollerballs into a fountain pen this way after being informed of this bit of knowledge from a service technician. I still have the rollerball section and can post pictures if you would like to see. By the way the platinum plated rollerball front piece retails for approximetely $44.

Your GvFC is such a beautiful pen it would be a shame if it was not being used.

Thanks for the website! But the problem with de nib is that it's too small. If I could "taste" the magnum nib of any Pen of the Year! The GvFC Classic is a beautiful pen, which wears a tiny nib. I think that this is the problem, this is why it has no soul. Nevertheless, today I've written again with my GvFC. Not bad. It's only ii has to struggle with my other pens: Parker Duofold Black Mosaic, Pelikan 1005 Silver and Black and Sailor King of Pens. These are really unbeateble nibs!

Roger

Thanks for the website! But the problem with de nib is that it's too small. If I could "taste" the magnum nib of any Pen of the Year! The GvFC Classic is a beautiful pen, which wears a tiny nib. I think that this is the problem, this is why it has no soul. Nevertheless, today I've written again with my GvFC. Not bad. It's only ii has to struggle with my other pens: Parker Duofold Black Mosaic, Pelikan 1005 Silver and Black and Sailor King of Pens. These are really unbeateble nibs!

I can understand this reason, I am also fond of large nibs, it is one of the reasons I am thinking of getting a Montblanc 149. I have a friend who has a Pelikan 1000 and the nib appears much larger than the GvFC nib. Even so I really enjoy writing with the Grafs, they are one of my favourite pens to write with, especially the OB nib. It puts down a very wide line with nice line thickness variation and I really like the way it feels.

The Pens of the Year on the other hand are quite substantial, I have seen and held few and would love to get one, I especially like the amber (2004) and the petrified wood versions (2007), however the prices seem to be astronomical for me, but if I did get one I imagine I would find the classic series to be to small to write with as well.

this pen has already added in my hunting list for year, lol

really love the design and the brand, because of the price I am still struggling

• 3 years later...

Looking at your pen, I believe you may have one of the first generation "Graf Collection" (as it was originally called) pens, where Faber-Castell still used silver rather than rhodium.

Please excuse me for reviving an old thread. How can I tell if it's a silver or rhodium plated?

Is there some mark?

I recently found one of this pen. It has some tarnish or discoloration, but there is no sign like '925' saying it's a sterling silver. Is it because it's just silver plated?

I wonder if it's a silver-plated cap, or just damaged rhodium plating.

Edited by clear1

Please excuse me for reviving an old thread. How can I tell if it's a silver or rhodium plated?

Is there some mark?

I recently found one of this pen. It has some tarnish or discoloration, but there is no sign like '925' saying it's a sterling silver. Is it because it's just silver plated?

I wonder if it's a silver-plated cap, or just damaged rhodium plating.

The silver GvFC Classic cap has two top rings IIRC. It will be silver and not plated and also hallmarked.

Edited by jar

The silver GvFC Classic cap has two top rings IIRC. It will be silver and not plated and also hallmarked.

Thank you, but that is for the current sterling silver Classic pen.

I was talking about wood pens. Sorry, I was not clear about that.

As shown in the photos on this topic, those early version of Classic wood pens with silver cap and barrel end had only one top ring.

And there seems to be no hallmark.

Quite confusing...

Edited by clear1

Thank you, but that is for the current sterling silver Classic pen.

I was talking about wood pens. Sorry, I was not clear about that.

As shown in the photos on this topic, those early version of Classic wood pens with silver cap and barrel end had only one top ring.

And there seems to be no hallmark.

Quite confusing...

I only own a few of the GvFC Classic wood pens and only owned them for about 20 years or so but the real Silver capped versions always had two rings. I don't know of any silver plate versions. But drop the company an email; my experience has been that after sales service is great.

I only own a few of the GvFC Classic wood pens and only owned them for about 20 years or so but the real Silver capped versions always had two rings. I don't know of any silver plate versions. But drop the company an email; my experience has been that after sales service is great.

Wow. 20 years? When was this Classic pen first made? I didn't know it was that old..

The starter of this topic, rogerico, said his pen has a silver cap.

Along the line, bugmd showed us his tarnished pen, which is apparently made of silver.

Both of their pens have just one top ring. Do your Classic wood pens with silver cap have two top rings?

Could you kindly show some photos? This is very interesting.. :)

I sent an email to the company already. However, I wonder if they will give me proper answer.

Last time I asked a question, they were not so knowledgeable, which was embarrassing.

Wow. 20 years? When was this Classic pen first made? I didn't know it was that old..

The starter of this topic, rogerico, said his pen has a silver cap.

Along the line, bugmd showed us his tarnished pen, which is apparently made of silver.

Both of their pens have just one top ring. Do your Classic wood pens with silver cap have two top rings?

Could you kindly show some photos? This is very interesting.. :)

I sent an email to the company already. However, I wonder if they will give me proper answer.

Last time I asked a question, they were not so knowledgeable, which was embarrassing.

None of mine have the silver top. All my silver pens are other brands.