The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Rollerball?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 lewis

lewis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2010 - 13:21

Hi Bruce. I have a Waterman Carene RB which is a fun pen. I bought someone recenty a Cross ATX RB and this was beautiful. A colleague of mine has a Montblanc 146 RB and that looks and performs fantastic! I have seen videos on eBay of people using MB refils in Pilot G2 pens! As pointed out above, the experience is really determined by the refil, the design is more an aesthetic thing. Personally I'd always recommend a fountain pen, but if they really weren't my thing or I couldn't get on with them, I'd probably have a big collection of Rollers to choose from!

Lewis
Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Sponsored Content

#22 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 13:28

I really do not know if there is a best but the Pelikan and Aurora refills I have used in both a M605 and Talentum pens have been wonderful to write with.
Much better than both Schmidt and Parker refills in other pens I have used in the past.

#23 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 16:20

The Schmidt rollerball refills are smoooooooth, albeit, finnicky.
Technically, the G2 is a gel pen, as is the Signo 207
Pure rollerballs- UniBall Vision Elites rule

#24 Bruce-YVR

Bruce-YVR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 18:17

Hi Bruce. I have a Waterman Carene RB which is a fun pen. I bought someone recenty a Cross ATX RB and this was beautiful. A colleague of mine has a Montblanc 146 RB and that looks and performs fantastic! I have seen videos on eBay of people using MB refils in Pilot G2 pens! As pointed out above, the experience is really determined by the refil, the design is more an aesthetic thing. Personally I'd always recommend a fountain pen, but if they really weren't my thing or I couldn't get on with them, I'd probably have a big collection of Rollers to choose from!

Lewis

Thanks Lewis... Lamy 2000 is my fav FP and I use it daily... however at times when I visit my job site I dont want to carry that so thus I "need" a roller :-) I like the look of the Waterman Perspective and from what Elysee was saying that it takes Pilot G2 ink gel refill... thats even better :-)

Thanks

Bruce

#25 Julio

Julio

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:01

Elysee, thank you for sharing such complete and informative page.

#26 veganmark

veganmark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 19:34

I have a lamy swift which I really like a lot. It uses a clip action like a ballpoint to push out the pen tip or retract it. No leaking and no cap. It's a really sweet rollerball pen. I don't use it much since I've developed this obsession with FP's but it's still a nice pen. Oh, and I do have a Cross Townsend and A Sensa that are pretty smooth writers as well and, in the case of the cross townsend, it does double duty. It's a highlighter with the change of a refill, or a pencil. Pretty sweet!

Posted Image

Edited by veganmark, 10 September 2010 - 19:36.

Marcos

Be nice, cause wherever you go...there you are!

#27 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:46

I'm a little confused by the description on Page 12. Can a Pelikan Rollerball pen (M150) be converted to a gel pen, or is it just the ballpoint that can be converted to a gel pen? The description talks about capless pens, but my Pelikan rollerball has a cap. :blink:

My Pelikan has a cap too.

Monteverde really does make a gel ink refill for the Pelikan rollerball pen -- this is different from the Parker-style Monteverde gel ink refill but they have the same type of ink.

How about a picture -- my brown Pelikan rollerball with its Monteverde refill!

Thanks!!!!!!! Do you happen to know an item number for ordering?

Here's a screen capture of the information about the Pelikan gel ink rollerball refill from page 12 of the Monteverde refill catalog.

Pelikan_Rollerball_MonteverdeCatalog.png

#28 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:47

Elysee, thank you for sharing such complete and informative page.

I am always glad to help. : )

#29 penspouse

penspouse

Happy Granny

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:14

I'm a little confused by the description on Page 12. Can a Pelikan Rollerball pen (M150) be converted to a gel pen, or is it just the ballpoint that can be converted to a gel pen? The description talks about capless pens, but my Pelikan rollerball has a cap. :blink:

My Pelikan has a cap too.

Monteverde really does make a gel ink refill for the Pelikan rollerball pen -- this is different from the Parker-style Monteverde gel ink refill but they have the same type of ink.

How about a picture -- my brown Pelikan rollerball with its Monteverde refill!

Thanks!!!!!!! Do you happen to know an item number for ordering?

Here's a screen capture of the information about the Pelikan gel ink rollerball refill from page 12 of the Monteverde refill catalog.

Pelikan_Rollerball_MonteverdeCatalog.png

Thanks!
Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug
- Some of my amateur photography.

#30 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:21

Is there a list of pens that can take G2 refills? Or pens that can take the refill with a little modification?

Also, does anyone know if the Uni-ball Power Tank High Grade can take a gel refill?

Edited by WillSW, 12 September 2010 - 18:35.

#31 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 982 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:34

IMHO, the best rollerball is any one that will accept Zebra JF gel refills. And since those are very close in dimensions to standard Schmidt rollerball refills, a lot of pens could potentially use them.

If for some reason I wasn't able to use a fountain pen, that would be my second choice. I've got to say, though, that I've left rollerballs pretty far behind. It's been a long time since I used one for anything.

Tony,

Thanks for this advice.  What do you like about these refills in particular?  What do you like about Gel ink over standard Rollerball ink?  I think these will fit my Cross Century II... I'll have to check.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Flexible Music Nib from any brand in any usable condition with or without a pen.

2. User Grade Parker Vacumatic in Red.

#32 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• 1,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 00:44

My Karas Kustoms EDK came with a Schmidt P8126 capless RB refill. I like it a lot - smooth, even, fine line without feathering or bleed-through. Before the EDK, my RB of choice was my Cross Signature - again smooth, even, fine line, etc. the Cross Slectip is not capless.

Another feature of the KK EDK is that it accepts all Parker-Style BP and Gel refills with no modifications to the pen - just pop it in. This, of course substantially opens up your choices to BP (including broad), Gel, colors, and manufacturers. Also, you will be able to use a Fisher Space Pen refill with the Parker-style adapter that comes with it. Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Karas Kustoms.

While I prefer a true fine line FP to other modes, I probably currently prefer Gel to RB and BP. That said, on any given day I probably write with all of them - FP, MP, BP, RB, Gel, and highlighter.

CFTPM

#33 C95

C95

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 22:20

Compared to a gel ballpoint a good rollerball as MB is smoother? Gels are faster to dry so why should I purchase a Rb?

#34 C95

C95

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 22:20

Compared to a gel ballpoint a good rollerball as MB is smoother? Gels are faster to dry so why should I purchase a Rb?

#35 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 00:22

I LOVE the Cross Century II rollerball. It puts out a smooth and wet line. Plus it's very classy looking.

#36 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• 1,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:28

I'm convinced I do not need any of the pens I buy with the somewhat exception of those that fit my arthritic hands better. Thus, I will buy a pen largely because, for some reason, I just like it at that time whether it be a FP, RB, Gel, or BP. But, that's me.

CFTPM

#37 gbell

gbell

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 00:01

I own a Cross Apogee in Sable with silver trim, and it not only writes beautifully, even better than my MB le grand Rollerball, but it looks and feels good too. Nor sure if Cross still make the Apogee but they are readily available online either from auction sites or pen shops

#38 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:09

I like the pilot precise v7 rolling ball, there is a book by a french writer that I dont remember his name who wrote a book about the pilot precise v7 in fine. Maybe sombody perhaps knows about it in fpn.

Edited by penrivers, 15 November 2017 - 17:39.

Sponsored Content

|