The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Do You Store Your Wax Seals?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:20

I have just purchased a few more seals, so had to organise them in some sort of order. I used to just keep them in a plastic container (an unused lunch box), but that became a bit too messy. Anyway, I found this 'rack' in a storage store. It is meant for make-up, but the slots of lipsticks are perfect for most of my seals :)

I'm a happy littl' bunny :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Surfbits

Surfbits

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:00

Wow! What can I say except wow!
Ok, my mouth is closed now, so tell us about the seals you have and what they are used for please. Also, where did you get them from?
Take care,
Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)
http://www.surfbits.com : Blog
http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

#3 Enai

Enai

Boo!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:13

It looks like your seals and the case were meant for each other---very nice find! I only have one seal, so I don't really need a case. It just sits on my desk, and I kinda like it that way.
I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark
"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick
"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?
I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

#4 Stargazer34683

Stargazer34683

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:39

I currently have mine in a cigar box I picked up at the flea market :)

#5 sygyzy

sygyzy

No Affiliation

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:51

I only have one seal. I can't see having more than one but then again I have more than one FP so I definitely have that capacity. For the sake of my wallet, I hope I don't get sucked into that world!

#6 Twyla

Twyla

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:00

I just have the one seal tucked in my one desk drawer as of now, and until I get out of school and start actually making decent money I think I need to keep it that way.

Well... maybe just one more....

#7 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:48

I love re-inventing uses to fit other purposes. Congrats! Looks like you'll need more soon. :happyberet:

#8 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• 7,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:17

I have my Chinese name-chop, which has its own little box.

I have an "S" seal which sits on my desk. And I have a gold dragon-ring which isn't a seal or a signet-ring, but which has been repurposed as such.

It sleeps on my pinkie-finger.
http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

#9 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:40

Glad that you like my seal collection and storage method :rolleyes:

I have bought all of my seals online. The last few have been from letter seals.

I usually put a seal on my snails. Very occasionally, I have placed one next to my signature at the end of the letter.

A couple of the seals are of my initials. The others are just of motifs that I like.

Happy sealing!

#10 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:43

I have my Chinese name-chop, which has its own little box.

I have an "S" seal which sits on my desk. And I have a gold dragon-ring which isn't a seal or a signet-ring, but which has been repurposed as such.

It sleeps on my pinkie-finger.

Hey Shangas,

I've always wanted a signet ring! I shall have to look out for one. I am still lusting after a fob watch, no thanks to you :roflmho:

Oh, I forgot about my Chinese chop (oops!). Better pop it in the tray :embarrassed_smile:

Warm regards,
FP xx

#11 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:45

I love re-inventing uses to fit other purposes. Congrats! Looks like you'll need more soon. :happyberet:

Thanks, BR! Yes, it looks like I may need to get another one of these trays.....soon!

I love improvising and re-inventing uses for things as well :thumbup:

#12 welfvet

welfvet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 15:11

I have only a couple of seals, of which only one is used and that still lives in its original box. I do also have an heirloom in the form of my father's signet ring which bears the family's shield and crest. That lives in a special little wooden box made from huon pine, found (only?) in Tasmania.

I hope this doesn't hijack the thread too much, but while we're on the subject of seals, I'm in the process of working on a design to have a modification of my dad's family crest turned into a paper embosser, but keep getting sucked into possibly doing it as a seal as well. For the first time Google threw up a new name, I'm sure it will be as expensive as Dexter or even Piccolo Press for having this kind of custom work done, but it looks very interesting as a possibility for those who want the ultimate custom engraved seal. Has anyone heard of this company / individual before?

Neil Oliver

#13 cecarey13

cecarey13

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 19:28

An old cigar box: I only have one and I may have over paid but, it’s a custom intertwined “CC” for my initials I bought it on vacation / honeymoon in Italy. I recommend everyone own at least one besides being fun to use they are cool to receive on a letter or note. (But, don’t forget to oil them about every 10 to 15 seals)

#14 Pentech42

Pentech42

Extremely Rare

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 20:11

I use a pistol CAse to hold my wax seals and a large cigar box with a foam liner cut to hold my chops
Dear Art, English, Music Business and History Majors,

Please stop complaining about not having jobs. Your major only included about 60 credits and you had time to go out on weekends.

We're even.

Sincerely, An Engineering Major

#15 cecarey13

cecarey13

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 20:11

I have only a couple of seals, of which only one is used and that still lives in its original box. I do also have an heirloom in the form of my father's signet ring which bears the family's shield and crest. That lives in a special little wooden box made from huon pine, found (only?) in Tasmania.

I hope this doesn't hijack the thread too much, but while we're on the subject of seals, I'm in the process of working on a design to have a modification of my dad's family crest turned into a paper embosser, but keep getting sucked into possibly doing it as a seal as well. For the first time Google threw up a new name, I'm sure it will be as expensive as Dexter or even Piccolo Press for having this kind of custom work done, but it looks very interesting as a possibility for those who want the ultimate custom engraved seal. Has anyone heard of this company / individual before?

Neil Oliver

I’ve never heard of the engravers but, an old colleague of mine went to a local jeweler whom engraved his press plate for his seal. (It cost around $350.00) Also you might try to contact notary service seal companies; when you receive your notary license you purchase the applicable state notary seal from an appointed dealer.

#16 welfvet

welfvet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 22:20

I've never heard of the engravers but, an old colleague of mine went to a local jeweler whom engraved his press plate for his seal. (It cost around $350.00) Also you might try to contact notary service seal companies; when you receive your notary license you purchase the applicable state notary seal from an appointed dealer.

Thanks for that. We do have a couple notary seal / embosser vendors this side of the pond, a couple will do custom work and I am tempted in that direction. I suspect that I will only do the embosser and leave the seal for another day.

Sponsored Content

|