The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Safari Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:46

I recently purchased a Lamy Safari Vista fountain pen from a fellow-FPNr. The Vista arrived with an extra-fine steel nib. The Vista, with its transparent barrel and cap, brilliant inner chrome workings, and red Z24 converter is a very cool looking pen to me ... modern, hi-tech, and light weight. This is a high quality pen, and for the price, perhaps the most value-based fountain pen on the market. The extra-fine nib with the Z24 converter writes smoothly, evenly and without skipping. So, in addition to great nib, there's an excellent ink flow system. The Z24 fills completely and I recommend it highly. The Lamy logo while not molded into the plastic looks appropriate for the Vista. The clip works very well which is good for me as I am a bit nit-picky about clips. The cap is a friction fit which I like for fast access, and it has just enough oompf to it while not being so strong that ink gets sucked out on cap removal.

This is not a pen with heft, it's light in weight. I find it most comfortable uncapped and not posted when writing. When posted it is very long, top heavy, and for me too awkward feeling. Additionally, one can pull the nib out from the plastic casing to better clean the pen, something one cannot do with many other fountain pens. You don't need to press hard for the ink to appear on paper which relieves hand strain. I find the extra fine nib to be perfect for everyday uses. The strong clip is a yielding one, the shape of this tough workhorse will prevent it from rolling off the desk, and triangular thin grip is strange for me, but isn't bad. I definitely recommend buying this pen.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by dapv, 24 August 2010 - 02:46.

CFTPM

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluecloud

Bluecloud

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:46

I'm also most comfortable to write with my pens uncapped ;-)

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

#3 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 16:15

Posted Image Posted Image
CFTPM

#4 Edgar Allan Bo

Edgar Allan Bo

- ~ * ~ = Antique = ~ * ~ -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 17:37

Wooop! A LAMY Safari review... once again... but there is never enough! :thumbup:

#5 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 20:06

It's arguably a modern classic. However. . . I had trouble with the converters on my two Safaris, they didn't always seal well. The pens worked Just Fine with cartridges, but I don't care for those things.

I have a suspicion that the cult status of the Safari may be eclipsed after the TWSBI 530 is in full production. Yeah it's a little more expensive, but it's a heck of a pen for the money.

#6 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• 1,361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:34

tonybelding: You may already know this, my Z24 converter had to be lined up with two little plastic nubs on its sides.
CFTPM

#7 Lyutsin21

Lyutsin21

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:12

You are the only one I've seen who mentions the main or only reason I like fountain pens: they don't require pressure. I had a lamy Vista and I couldn't use it without the cap on. Even with teh cap it was still too lightweight.

Sponsored Content

|