• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• safetyfast

• J English Smith

• OcalaFlGuy

• holzmeister

Because the jewels shear off rather easily the OEM jewels are getting to be rather scarce, so "reasonable price" does not exist. The last ones I bought I found at a pen show about 3 years ago. I give my clients the option of a modern replacement jewel made by Ariel Kullock, and given the difference in price, most of them take it.

You might want to contact Ariel to buy some.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

He sells them on eBay as singles and multiples. Seen alone, they look brighter/lighter and not like the originals, but once screwed in the top, to my eye, they look very very good. I was in other words pleasantly surprised.

Edited by J English Smith

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I was curious. He's got quite a variety-->pearly gray, black, aluminum. $15 for 5 delivered. Maybe pricey if you're just looking for the one, but Ron Z's points are valid.

An example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parker-51-Pearly-Gray-BP-Pencil-s-Jewels-5-/380262073383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

for an aerometric

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_k2HuEPkFBP8/TThGRwBFFQI/AAAAAAAAAE0/vHzP5ssKm3g/s128/Porkopolis%20Penners.png.jpg

I only need the one. Hate to pay $15 for 5 to get one. Aren't the cap and blind cap different sizes? Unfortunately, I destroyed the original, though it was far from perfect. I could not get it to budge. Tried heat, rubber grip, etc. Apparently someone glued it in and I had to get it out to tighten the clip. Finally had to burn the remains out of the middle of the screw because the glue would not soften.

Ariel's gray jewels looked kinda rough in the pics to me.

Now, I haven't held one in my hand, but my first thought was perhaps they would look nicer with some aggressive polishing

to the tops of them to help bring out "the jewel". If I was gonna use one, from what I saw of them, that's what I'd try.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ariel's gray jewels looked kinda rough in the pics to me.

Now, I haven't held one in my hand, but my first thought was perhaps they would look nicer with some aggressive polishing

to the tops of them to help bring out "the jewel". If I was gonna use one, from what I saw of them, that's what I'd try.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I've bought both gray & black replacement jewels, as well as aluminum for that matter, in various sizes from Ariel Kullock on eBay. They all have an excellent finish, perhaps they look a bit grainy in low resolution jpeg format. I've never had any need to polish them.