The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are There Replacement Nibs For The Noodler's Piston Pen?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Flatland2D

Flatland2D

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 18:48

I'd like to try my hand at various grinds to see what I like writing with best and need a stock of nibs to practice on. I have a Noodler's piston fill fountain pen and have removed the nib before - it's just a friction fit. I was wondering if there was a place to buy just the nibs, or compatible nibs? Or is there a better way to do what I want to accomplish?

I also have a Lamy Vista, but replacement nibs for that are only $1 cheaper than the Noodler's pen. In that case I may as well just buy the whole pen.

Thanks.
Upward, not Northward!

Sponsored Content

#2 Running Hand

Running Hand

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 20:22

I'd like to try my hand at various grinds to see what I like writing with best and need a stock of nibs to practice on. I have a Noodler's piston fill fountain pen and have removed the nib before - it's just a friction fit. I was wondering if there was a place to buy just the nibs, or compatible nibs?

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Noodler's Piston would already seem to be a great platform for experimenting but soon there will also be flexible nibs (The Goulet Pen Company).

The description on the Noodler's Ink site states

The nib size is the classic #2 – the most common nib size of the past 100+ years….and thus the pen can be fitted with a larger number of nibs than any other size.

Searching for "nibs" on eBay shows many offerings in the right price range. However, what is not so clear is the size of those nibs and whether they would fit the Noodler's Piston. Since you didn't get a lot of response to your post, it seems we might have to email around. If you do find a source, please let us know how your grinding goes.

#3 Senate1123

Senate1123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 21:14

I've posted a similar question not too long along an did not get many responses either.

But from my search, I learned that #2 is kind of a standard size but not all manufacturers retrofitted perfectly. Also, by looking at pictures, it appears that the shape of vintage #2 nibs are different than the Noodler Creaper. The Creaper is a bit squared off where it fits into the pen. You can probably duplicate that with other nibs but I haven't tried.

I'd love to hear what you have found because I'm in the same boat as you two.
Posted Image

#4 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

Old World Ink - Iron Gall Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 22:16

I'd like to try my hand at various grinds to see what I like writing with best and need a stock of nibs to practice on. I have a Noodler's piston fill fountain pen and have removed the nib before - it's just a friction fit. I was wondering if there was a place to buy just the nibs, or compatible nibs?

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Noodler's Piston would already seem to be a great platform for experimenting but soon there will also be flexible nibs (The Goulet Pen Company).

The description on the Noodler's Ink site states

The nib size is the classic #2 – the most common nib size of the past 100+ years….and thus the pen can be fitted with a larger number of nibs than any other size.

Searching for "nibs" on eBay shows many offerings in the right price range. However, what is not so clear is the size of those nibs and whether they would fit the Noodler's Piston. Since you didn't get a lot of response to your post, it seems we might have to email around. If you do find a source, please let us know how your grinding goes.

a number 2 vintage nib fits perfectly - i have done that on one and i have a vintage flexible nib pen now for $20 plus the nib cost
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#5 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 23:12

I would love it if Noodler's nibs were available for purchase on their own. It seems like something Nathan would be willing to do, since he's a tinkerer's pen maker.

Edited by WillSW, 06 December 2010 - 23:13.

#6 GouletPens

GouletPens

Write On!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:51

I would love it if Noodler's nibs were available for purchase on their own. It seems like something Nathan would be willing to do, since he's a tinkerer's pen maker.

I'll ask about this, it's definitely not the first request I've heard for it.

#7 Jared

Jared

Broad Italics & Stubs

• Member - Gold

• 865 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 13:50

I'd only be interested in other nibs if they were of different nib tip sizes, like the Lamy nibs.

#8 tawanda

tawanda

Over the hill but refusing to wear roller skates

• Member - Gold

• 1,802 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 16:59

Manuscript calligraphy nibs fit perfectly.

http://www.calligraphy.co.uk/

You can buy the fountain pen sets from a few £s (don't get the dip nibs) and the nibs just ease out and transfer straight in to the Noodler's pens.
For Sale:
Penman Ink http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11952-penman-mocha-ink/
Pilot Elite (Short-Long)http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11951-pilot-elite-short-long/

#9 singer

singer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:28

Found this through this blog...

Modification

One claim to fame for these pens is that the nib and feed can be pulled out since they are friction fit. Why do that you ask? Well, if you have a #2 vintage nib lying about you could stick that into your pen and voila! A whole new writing experience! Technically a stub, italic, or even flex nib could be fitted if you wish a change. In reality there are some problems since not every #2 nib is the same nor even usable in these pens. The major issue is that the steel nibs from the factory are rather thick in cross-section and vintage nibs seem for the most part thinner. This is especially true of nibs that have some flex. What you wind up with often is a lose nib pushed way back into the section to get some purchase. This isn’t acceptable for me. I did find a few nibs that fit better but were more a #3 size so that’s something to keep in mind.

Posted Image

Edited by singer, 11 February 2011 - 07:31.

#10 InkStainedHands

InkStainedHands

I think, therefore I am.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:30

I would love to replace the nib on my Noodler's flex Ivory Darkness pen, It writes pretty well but I should have bought a normal "fine" version.

#11 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:03

I would love to replace the nib on my Noodler's flex Ivory Darkness pen, It writes pretty well but I should have bought a normal "fine" version.

why is that? The flex gives a TON of line variation... I'm quite used to getting a hairline out of it, and boosting thickness from a slight increase in pressure.
Posted Image Member since Sept 7, 2010
TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado
Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood
Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

#12 bwahaw

bwahaw

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:06

well, i would gladly swap out one of my standard noodlers nib and feed for those from your flex.
let me know - i'd have to think about how to pack it effectively yet inexpensively, but i'm sure it can be done.

#13 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:06

why is that? The flex gives a TON of line variation... I'm quite used to getting a hairline out of it, and boosting thickness from a slight increase in pressure.

i think writing with a flex is not for everybody. i'm happy with mine, but i can see why someone else would wanna have a more consistant line w/o pressing down on the nib.

BTW, my thistle powder ink comes out the best out of the Noodlers Flex!!!!!

Edited by lovemy51, 11 February 2011 - 20:08.

#14 InkStainedHands

InkStainedHands

I think, therefore I am.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 21:45

I'm going to try different inks in the pen and try to get used to it. It is my first flex pen and it just doesn't feel "natural" to write with it - if that makes since.

#15 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2011 - 17:22

My two cents...
Waterman's Ideal #2 for the Ink-vue has the perfect flex for my hand. I took it off a Lady Patricia that I was going to attempt to fix, but stuck it in a Noodler's Ebonite, that was turned into an eyedropper fill.
This pen will always be inked.

#16 El Mocho

El Mocho

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 17:43

Not quite what this post is after, but adding some knowledge:

I've swapped out the standard Noodler's nib with the nib from a Sheaffer Admiral from a desk-set Snorkel with a crumbling section. I've tried it with both Noodler's feeds-- flex and standard-- and it writes well with either, though a little more wetly with the flex.

I'm also trying out the nib from a Kaweco Sport. I need to check its performance against what it actually does in the Kaweco, but if you have both and like the feel of the Noodler's pen better, that's another suggestion. I believe the medium Sport nib writes more wetly with the Noodler's pen than it does when it's in the Sport.

I wish Nathan would also make the nibs available.

#17 Sanglant

Sanglant

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:32

I'll ask about this, it's definitely not the first request I've heard for it.

+1 on the nibs. and it would be nice to be able to buy the feeds, both for fountain pen nibs, and the rollerballs, but support might be a nightmare. maybe being upfront with "you're going to have to learn how to fit and set feeds to use this" warnings? :blink: on second thought, it might be best to leave the feeds to luxury brands.

#18 andybiotic

andybiotic

Check out my 14K flexible...

• Member - Gold

• 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 19:46

My two cents...
Waterman's Ideal #2 for the Ink-vue has the perfect flex for my hand. I took it off a Lady Patricia that I was going to attempt to fix, but stuck it in a Noodler's Ebonite, that was turned into an eyedropper fill.

A flexy Waterman Ideal #2 on a Noodler?!! I don't quite know what to say...

Edited by andybiotic, 01 June 2011 - 19:48.

Posted Image

#19 Mike

Mike

So Cheap He Squeaks :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 20:01

A friend of mine has an ebonite Noodler's pen whose nib he replaced with one from a Wearever, which he claimed was a substantial improvement over the original. Possibly the furthest extreme possible from a flex Waterman. :)

#20 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:08

My two cents...

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|