Anyone Heard Of Elysee Fountain Pens

cnr479

Elysee,

Thank you so much for joining in this discussion. I have always wondered if my mechanical pencil was a different model than my fountain pen. I bought them as a set, and the seller and I had a nice e-mail exchange regarding Elysee. We noted the thin lines running through the body of the pencil (unlike the pen), but neither of us were able to confirm whether they were mismatched — not that it bothered me other than curiosity. From your post, I now see that my pencil is a Fineline Blue.

Your collection is beautiful! I've always been particularly smitten with Impressions 1, and you have this stunning pen!!

According to your post, my hunch that the 3 bars indicate a newer production is wrong; rather, it indicates an older pen. Do you have any information to add about why some cap bands are marked Germany versus W Germany? Thinking about how this is something that indicates timeline in the German Pelikan pens, I thought maybe it could mean the same in Elysee pens.

Thanks again! :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Dib

• Hennypenny

• Rena

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Victor on Pentrace provided me with an interesting link about Elysee pens. If you cannot read Spanish, you may want to use Google web page translator. I'm unable to link with the translation, so here is the original in Spanish:

http://soloplumas.blogspot.com/search/label/10%20-%20Elysee

I did not know the logo is actually a stylized "D" for Dummet, the founder!

Incidentally, the bookstore still has about a dozen rollerballs (leatherette & lacquered), all still priced at ~$55, sitting in a display case. Periodically, I make an offer to take them off their hands, but nothing has happened yet.

Kristi

What models does the bookstore have? Would you be willing to post a picture? ; )

Sure. I'll try to get over there this week and take a picture.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

I just rediscovered this thread - thanks to all for all the great information! I don't want to like my Elysees because they're so thin, but I keep coming back to them because they're so beautiful and pleasing to write with. And I like the way the cap snaps when it posts. HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I have always wondered if my mechanical pencil was a different model than my fountain pen. I bought them as a set, and the seller and I had a nice e-mail exchange regarding Elysee. We noted the thin lines running through the body of the pencil (unlike the pen), but neither of us were able to confirm whether they were mismatched — not that it bothered me other than curiosity. From your post, I now see that my pencil is a Fineline Blue.

Your fountain pen is part of the series often referred to as the Engraver and/or Classique. I gave a blue set to my mother who uses her fountain pen as a rollerball and her ballpoint/pencil as a ballpoint. Any time you want to use your Fineline pencil as a ballpoint all you need to do is unscrew the pencil insert from the lower body of the pen(cil) (remove it carefully since some have a snug fit and be careful of the end of the pencil insert since some of the ends unscrew a little bit -- just tighten it up if it does unscrew) and the put in a Parker-style refill with a spring on the writing end of the refill. A spring taken from a Bic Click pen works just fine but some springs work better than others -- check around for one with tension that you like -- and make sure that the spring just covers the writing end of the refill, about an inch in length. Unlike most other pens, the springs in Elysee ballpoint pens are not fitted to remain in the end of the pen. The springs that came with Elysee ballpoint pens had a slight thinning in the middle so that they would slip on the refill and stay in place on the refill until the user removed the spring from the refill.

Your collection is beautiful! I've always been particularly smitten with Impressions 1, and you have this stunning pen!!

I am still amazed that I won the auction for the Impressions No. 1 set on eBay for just $203.50 USD! I had watched auctions for other sets that had wear on them pens be sold for far more than that and I thought that I would never have the opportunity to own such a lovely set. November 27, 2005 was the day that I won the set -- I still have the end of auction notification from eBay and all the emails between the seller and me. I had even asked the seller if he wanted to cancel the auction so that he could relist the set but he said that he was happy that the set was going to someone who would enjoy it and take care of it; I had told the seller about my "visiting" the Elysee pens while I was in graduate school in one of my emails durng the course of the auction.

According to your post, my hunch that the 3 bars indicate a newer production is wrong; rather, it indicates an older pen. Do you have any information to add about why some cap bands are marked Germany versus W Germany? Thinking about how this is something that indicates timeline in the German Pelikan pens, I thought maybe it could mean the same in Elysee pens.

I have never seen a pen marked with W. Germany on the band. All of my pens are marked with Germany. I would be curious to see one marked with W. Germany. The bars on the crown (I always think of the top of the Elysee pens that way) as well as the type of clip and the middle rings vs middle ring do provide a timeline for the pens though.

I am glad that I could help and I enjoyed sharing the pictures of my absolute favorite pens! They take my breath away every time I use them. : )

Edited by elysee

Incidentally, the bookstore still has about a dozen rollerballs (leatherette & lacquered), all still priced at ~$55, sitting in a display case. Periodically, I make an offer to take them off their hands, but nothing has happened yet.

Kristi

What models does the bookstore have? Would you be willing to post a picture? ; )

Sure. I'll try to get over there this week and take a picture.

Great! I will look forward to seeing the picture! : )

Victor on Pentrace provided me with an interesting link about Elysee pens. If you cannot read Spanish, you may want to use Google web page translator. I'm unable to link with the translation, so here is the original in Spanish:

http://soloplumas.bl...10%20-%20Elysee

I did not know the logo is actually a stylized "D" for Dummet, the founder!

Great! Thank you for sharing that hyperlink! I had not found that page in my Elysee searches. I added it to my collection. : )

I just rediscovered this thread - thanks to all for all the great information! I don't want to like my Elysees because they're so thin, but I keep coming back to them because they're so beautiful and pleasing to write with. And I like the way the cap snaps when it posts. HP

1990's Cartier pens, for which I have developed a fondness as well, are much thinner than Elysee pens. They too are lovely lacquer on brass and have a nice solid feel as well as the beauty of luxurious lacquer. : )

• 1 month later...

I finally got back to the bookstore to photograph the pens. When I look closely at the photos, I can see that several are not Elysee. Sorry for the quality- it was poor light with my cell phone.

By the way, I talked to a manager and offered to buy both trays for the right price. I pointed out that I bought the fountain pens @$20 each three years ago and the company has been defunct since the late 1990s. I may even have mentioned that they'd had the trays sitting there untouched for almost that long.

So, the manager is talking to the purchasing person and they'll get back to me. I won't pay much, but we'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted.

Kristi

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Kristi,

I would be VERY interested in purchasing several of these pens if you are willing. : ) In the first picture, I would be interested in purchasing the burgundy pen (is this pen a rollerball or a fountain pen?) given here post-33231-090730700 1286586090.png

and, in the second picture, I would be interested in purchasing the blue ballpoint, the burgundy pencil, and the blue pen (is this a rollerball or a fountain pen?) (the second, third, and fourth from the top in the second picture), that is, the pens given here

post-33231-036912900 1286586147.png.

Thank you VERY much for posting these pictures! AND THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for letting me know that you had posted the pictures!!! That was VERY kind of you!!! I greatly appreciate your kindness! :)

None is a fountain pen. I bought all the fountain pens three years ago. I didn't go through them closely today, as I knew that they weren't fountain pens. Right now they are priced from $35-65, and I'm hoping they'll come back with a $10-15 per pen price if I buy the bunch. I should know next week.

If they don't come back at a good price, do you want any of them at the list price or (hopefully) reduced price? I'll be happy to get them for you if so.

I'll let you know what happens.

Kristi

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

None is a fountain pen.

Kristi,

That's fine -- I need some rollerballs! : )

Yes, I would like to purchase each of the four that I pictured -- the burgundy pencil, the burgundy rollerball, the blue ballpoint, and the blue rollerball with the lines.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! : )

Edited by elysee

I have an Elysee and it's quite nice. I don't use it much because it's c/c, but it's still an exceptional pen.

What do you mean by "c/c"?

I have an Elysee and it's quite nice. I don't use it much because it's c/c, but it's still an exceptional pen.

What do you mean by "c/c"?

C/C is short for cartridge/converter--a reference to the filling system.

hi, just got an elysee pen and im looking for information on it, i know it must be an 1980's model as it is stamped w.germany but thats about all i know, hopefully someone can enlighten me .... thanks for any replies

http://i55.tinypic.com/f9p081.jpg

Hi Goldie2k9,

Let's see if anyone else chimes in, but I'll take a guess that yours is the Dynamic line in barleycorn pattern.

Hi Goldie2k9

You pen is a model in the 60 series. The model is a Barleycorn and is referred to as

"Barleycorn Platinum Plated". In early Elysee catalogues, the pen was shown with a

gold plated nib and later changed to the silver nib.

The barleycorn series is different from the Dynamic and Caprice models.

Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...