Anyone Heard Of Elysee Fountain Pens

cnr479

Hennypenny

The one on top is a Parthenon for sure, it is the Parthenon Bi-Color.

I am not sure the the other one is a Parthenon too. I have one that looks exactly the same as yours. The clip is different from the Parthenon clip and mine has a nib that does not say anything about gold content, so I assume it is gold plated steel. Elysee gold nibs have the gold content on them. Parthenons are supposed to have 18k nibs.

I bought this pen without any papers, so I don't know what the name is. The steel nib writes very nice, but it is somewhat stiffer than the gold ones.

The front section is, however, interchangeable with the Parthenon and front sections were also available as spare parts, so it's possible that swaps have been made.

What is the nib on yours?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Dib

• Hennypenny

• Rena

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the nib on yours?

Mine has exactly the same nib as the bi-color and is marked as 18K. I had noticed the slightly different clip, and the top of the cap is slightly different (3 small bars on either side, rather than 2 larger ones). It was sold to me as a Parthenon, but without box or papers, so no proof. As you say, the sections are interchangeable, so there could have been swaps made. Interesting ... thanks for the info. I'll have to dig further. Anyone else know?

Both are very nice pens - Mike Masuyama narrowed the nib on the bi-color for me at the DC Show and did a great job - it's now between an F and an EF (it was an M). I also have the red Lyric in an F. The other one is a BB -- yikes! what was I thinking? I was going to have Mike narrow it, too, but it's somehow just wrong to destroy all that iridium! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I don't think I've ever seen so many Élysée pen people gather together before and I'm pretty excited. Hennypenny, thanks for posting pictures of yours!

Here is my set, Élysée Parthenon. I believe this pair, circa 1992, is called Laqué Classique. Because of the brass body underlying the lacquer finish, the pen is on the heavier side, but it's well-balanced with the cap posted or not. The cap posts with the click-lock feature which keeps it secure, a feature that appeals to me even though I usually don't post. No corrosion so far on my section ring.

The nib on this pen is exceptional. Platinum plated two-tone 18 karat gold, the nib is smooth but not slippery, and helped me understand what people were talking about when they referred to “feedback” while writing. It’s almost as though the nib comes to life when it touches paper. When I say "feedback" I'm not talking about scratchiness at all, but more like the nib communicates "the feel of the road" and gives me a sense of control and maneuverability while writing. Like Hennypenny, I find the shape of the nib very appealing.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/ElyseeSet.jpg

Great pics, Rena - that's a lovely Elysee. And the top of the cap looks exactly like the cap on my gold-color pen (the one we're questioning). There are 3 "bars" on each side. So maybe mine is one of the Parthenon models after all.

I, too, love that nice snap when you post the cap! I normally don't post, but secure posting is one of the feature of Elysees.

Here's my red Lyric - it has a totally gold-colored nib marked 14K.

Edited by Hennypenny

and the pen itself is of a lovely resin, mainly green but flecked with gold.

I believe you're describing the Lyric model - I have a similar one in red/burgundy (with gold flecks). Is the nib monotone gold?

The Parthenon style, as well as the LEs, have a 2-tone nib, I believe.

And I don't think it's a resin pen, is it? Isn't it some sort of finish over brass? Elysee was known for its cloisonne pens, but I don't think the Lyric is cloisonne. Nonetheless, the finish is over brass and is quite attractive.

I love the nibs on these pens - their shape creates the illusion of writing with a brush. HP

Yes, the nib is monotone gold. And, sure, you are undoubtedly correct. Not resin, but some kind of finish over brass. It feels colder than resin.

Great pics, Rena - that's a lovely Elysee. And the top of the cap looks exactly like the cap on my gold-color pen (the one we're questioning). There are 3 "bars" on each side. So maybe mine is one of the Parthenon models after all.

I, too, love that nice snap when you post the cap! I normally don't post, but secure posting is one of the feature of Elysees.

Here's my red Lyric - it has a totally gold-colored nib marked 14K.

The red is lovely. My green one is so similar. But only has two "bars" on the side. And the nib is not quite the same.

My green one is so similar. But only has two "bars" on the side. And the nib is not quite the same.

My Lyric (the red one) has only two bars as well. And the clip is like the one on the bi-color Parthenon - it sits up, away from the cap at the end where it's attached to the cap. The ends of the clips on my gold Parthenon and Rena's Parthenon are flush with the cap (and the cap is cut away so the clip can go into it when the other end is pushed up).

I've seen pics of green, blue and red Lyrics -- wonder if there are any other colors?

HP

Elysee also made lower end (~US$60 in the late 1990s when they ceased production) fountain pens. I bought a bunch from my college bookstore about 3 years ago, only one of which I kept, a green leatherette with a lovely nib.

Incidentally, the bookstore still has about a dozen rollerballs (leatherette & lacquered), all still priced at ~$55, sitting in a display case. Periodically, I make an offer to take them off their hands, but nothing has happened yet.

Kristi

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

Nice, Kristi. I like that leatherette look. :) Your particular model is pictured in Andreas Lambrou's book, Fountain Pens of the World, page 243, listed as Laqué Leather, green, c. 1992.

I've been pondering the differences in the number of bars/prongs on the caps and clips. Until Afruba and Hennypenny mentioned it, I'd never noticed that some have 3 and some 2, and that there is a difference in in clips, even on the same models, as it turns out. My pen is also pictured in Andy Lambrou's book — pen # 11, although in rouge/red, is the same as mine. However, the pen in the book shows 2 bars (unlike my 3) as well as some ridges on the sides of the clip as in Hennypenny's topmost pen. These details match what I see on Jim Mamoulides' Pen Hero website too.

Paying a little more attention to some of these details, I noticed Jim mentions that the backs of the cap bands are stamped W. Germany. Mine is stamped Germany. I wonder if later production was changed to reflect the unification of Germany, and in that process, the clips and the number of bars/prongs were modified. If that is the case, then mine would be later production. This is just a guess. HP, I'd be curious about how yours are stamped.

Paying a little more attention to some of these details, I noticed Jim mentions that the backs of the cap bands are stamped W. Germany. Mine is stamped Germany. I wonder if later production was changed to reflect the unification of Germany, and in that process, the clips and the number of bars/prongs were modified. If that is the case, then mine would be later production. This is just a guess. HP, I'd be curious about how yours are stamped.

All of mine are stamped "Germany" - regardless of the number of bars. Curioser and curioser ...HP

• 2 weeks later...

HennyPenny

You ask if there is other Elysee lyric pens.

There is one uncatlogued version called the Lyric Illusion.

This one has veins of silver and blue with silver trim on the pen.

I have tried to attach a pic from the Old Scool Pens website many years ago.

Hope this helps.

LarryKpost-1108-082435000 1283657278.jpg

This is one topic to which I must contribute! : )

I fell in love with Elysee pens when I was working on my Doctorate in Mathematics. I used to "visit" the various Elysee pens in the area pen stores. Of course, being a poor graduate student, I could not afford them.

I purchased my first Elysee pen in a smoke shop (I saw the Elysee logo through the window and could not resist entering in order to "visit") in Toronto, Canada when I was there to present two papers during the Mathematical Association of America's MathFest in 1998. The sales woman had mercy on a new Ph.D.and let me purchase their one and only Elysee En Vogue Lapis ballpoint pen with two pencil converters for 75 Canadian Dollars. Then, starting in 2003, eBay took care of the rest.

Some of the Elysee pens that I enjoy using include the En Vogue Lapis, En Vogue Cobra, Fineline green, Edition No. 1 (not to be confused with the Edition 90 which is a lighter pink), Edition No. 2, and Impressions No. 1.

Here is a group picture of the above listed pens,

post-33231-032883500 1283759321.png

and some close ups,

En Vogue Lapis ~~~~~~~~~~~~ En Vogue Cobra ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Fineline Green

post-33231-077284900 1283759383.png ~~~~~~~ post-33231-046559100 1283759426.png ~~~~~~~ post-33231-018107600 1283759457.png

Edition No. 1 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Edition No. 2 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Impressions No. 1

post-33231-092919400 1283759507.png ~~~~~~~ post-33231-013716500 1283759529.png ~~~~~~~ post-33231-031688900 1283759553.png

Elysee pens are not only beautiful but also versitile: my ballpoint pen becomes a pencil with the pencil insert and my fountain pen becomes a rollerball with the rollerball converter. In addition, the rollerball converter allows me to use standard international rollerball refills as well as Montblanc ballpoint refills with the extender snapped in place and Cross gel ink Selectip refills; with the new Monteverde gel ink refills of various types, I have even more variety now. Of course, it is nicest to have an extra ballpoint to be a pencil and an extra fountain pen to be a rollerball -- and I do enjoy having full sets. ; ) Another nice feature of Elysee pens is that the fountain/rollerball pen cap posts without marring the body since it snaps on the back of the pen. They have the perfect balance and feel, and the lacquer finish is absolutely beautiful on each!

A lot of thought went into the Elysee pens, and the company's slogan "jewels that write" is definitely true! :cloud9:

Edited by elysee

I'd heard this pen mentioned a couple of times. I did not know it was German. On German Ebay is a BP and FP for bid start at € 400 or buy now at € 600.

No wonder I'd not heard much of these pens....I'm still playing little League and that's Major League.

It's not quite my style, but for a bold and modern art way of expressing one's self, they did.

So odd to think of a German pen company not being a Piston filler...even though there are Diplomats and Senators.

That company came to be and died in the 40 years I was not paying attention to Fountain pens.

I am not going to tell my wife about that turquoise one. She loves that color. For that money I can get more black German pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

But only has two "bars" on the side. And the nib is not quite the same.

The older models had three "bars" and the newer models had two "bars"; the high end pens such as the Edition 90, Edition No. 1, Edition No. 2, and Impressions No.1 have two deep/distinct/pronounced bars.

The 18K nib was two-tone like that displayed in Rena's picture in post #23.

The style of pen clip changed as well. If you look at my pictures of the En Vogue Lapis and the En Vogue Cobra, you will see the older style pen clip as well as in Hennypenny's gold pen and Rena's fountain pen (pictured in post #23 and #24). The newer pen clip has the open top such as that on my green Fineline, Edition No. 1, Edition No. 2, and Impressions No. 1 as well as Rena's ballpoint in post #23, LarryK's post #26, and Hennypenny's Bicolor and red Lyric.

The high-end pens always had the double gold bands in the middle; see my pictures for the two 80's high-end pens, the En Vogue Lapis and the En Vogue Cobra, and for four high-end 90's series, the Fineline, Edition No. 1, Edition No. 2, and Impressions No. 1, the latter three being the top of the line limited editions for the 90's.

I should mention that I purchased my rarest set, the Impressions No. 1 (unused and pristine condition), on eBay for $203.50 US -- ballpoint and fountain pen with 18K gold two-tone nib in collector's box with documentation -- and my most expensive Elysee was an Edition No. 2 fountain pen (unused and pristine as well) with 18K single-tone white gold and platinum broad nib with collector's edition box with documentation for $250 US that I purchased from a seller that I met on eBay.

Edited by elysee

Incidentally, the bookstore still has about a dozen rollerballs (leatherette & lacquered), all still priced at ~$55, sitting in a display case. Periodically, I make an offer to take them off their hands, but nothing has happened yet.

Kristi

What models does the bookstore have? Would you be willing to post a picture? ; )