Why Buy A Mont Blanc?

kanajlo

" Please give me your best arguments about why this line of pens is worth the high price."

There really is NO reason what so ever.

Lot's of other pens write just as good or better and don't have the same leak problems MB's have.. . . or at least my MB's. . . . every one of them.

http://www.fountainp...99#entry1640099

So think about it twice before you spend your money on them.

A

MB want its pens to be special, desirable... therefor they are constantly increasing the prices for no "real" reason other than that, their products have to be premium and not for "everyone"... if the sales go up too much, they increase the price once again, just to keep them desirable.

But that's the MB policy and people have accepted it... well, not everyone, but it seems that MB can allways get away with everything they do.

All (successful) companies in the free market play that game as best as they can.

Matt

sure, but no one plays it THAT straightforward like MB... every other company would try to hide/explain the increasing costs with excuses about material costs and stuff like that, but not so MB - they smile in your face and tell you that too many "standard" people can afford a MB and buy an MB and therefor they have to increase the prices, they DON'T WANT to sell their pens to everybody anymore - that's why they've cancelled the cheaper versions and lines that they've made earlier and advanced into a pure luxus brand.

But as I said, that's their policy and they say that straightforward... and the most important thing is - they can afford it!

Edited by Edgar Allan Bo

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• wspohn

• jar

• kanajlo

" Please give me your best arguments about why this line of pens is worth the high price."

There really is NO reason what so ever.

Lot's of other pens write just as good or better and don't have the same leak problems MB's have.. . . or at least my MB's. . . . every one of them.

http://www.fountainp...99#entry1640099

So think about it twice before you spend your money on them.

A

MB want its pens to be special, desirable... therefor they are constantly increasing the prices for no "real" reason other than that, their products have to be premium and not for "everyone"... if the sales go up too much, they increase the price once again, just to keep them desirable.

But that's the MB policy and people have accepted it... well, not everyone, but it seems that MB can allways get away with everything they do.

All (successful) companies in the free market play that game as best as they can.

Matt

sure, but no one plays it THAT straightforward like MB... every other company would try to hide/explain the increasing costs with excuses about material costs and stuff like that, but not so MB - they smile in your face and tell you that too many "standard" people can afford a MB and buy an MB and therefor they have to increase the prices, they DON'T WANT to sell their pens to everybody anymore - that's why they've cancelled the cheaper versions and lines that they've made earlier and advanced into a pure luxus brand.

But as I said, that's their policy and they say that straightforward... and the most important thing is - they can afford it!

You are right MB has defined itself as a luxury brand.

But they can only play that game as long as the quality of their product lives up to the image.

Matt

Edited by meiers

There's no law that says a brand has to cater to all markets. When you're comparing higher end brands, don't forget, the majority of foreign brands in the US require their pens to be sent back overseas for service which can mean higher shipping/insurance costs and in some case you have to mail the pen overseas if there is no distributor to do that, and of course that means much slower turnaround and poor communication. Montblanc has a service center in the US and other non-German countries where they will provide service for their non LE pens. Much better turnaround time and communication and cheaper domestic postage. If you have a boutique, they can even mail it in for you for free. Montblanc's customer service is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the brand. I'm sure the support system costs MB plenty. Now look at some other foreign brands. Besides the lack of in country customer service/repair centers, many other brands are not complete pen makers and farm out nib production to someone else and use off the shelf convertors instead of designing their own filling systems, yet demand prices comparable to MB! Now that's something to get mad about.

Edited by Blade Runner

if you ever neveed to sell, you'll get much more response for MB than other brands. even used. it's a brand that keeps its value unlike most others LE's included.

i don't buy to sell but this argument is very good and true. same goes for namiki.

There's no law that says a brand has to cater to all markets. When you're comparing higher end brands, don't forget, the majority of foreign brands in the US require their pens to be sent back overseas for service which can mean higher shipping/insurance costs and in some case you have to mail the pen overseas if there is no distributor to do that, and of course that means much slower turnaround and poor communication. Montblanc has a service center in the US and other non-German countries where they will provide service for their non LE pens. Much better turnaround time and communication and cheaper domestic postage. If you have a boutique, they can even mail it in for you for free. Montblanc's customer service is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the brand. I'm sure the support system costs MB plenty. Now look at some other foreign brands. Besides the lack of in country customer service/repair centers, many other brands are not complete pen makers and farm out nib production to someone else and use off the shelf convertors instead of designing their own filling systems, yet demand prices comparable to MB! Now that's something to get mad about.

the service of namiki in the us are excellent too

Because I said so.

Or...

Do so because, in the absence of MB, I would imagine the luxury writing instrument segment would be as populous as Chernobyl. (For those a bit slower... The marketing dollars MB spends has bolstered the segment (beyond just benefiting MB) beyond belief...)

Your ad here.

You know... Montblanc isn't for everyone. Perhaps one shouldn't buy a Montblanc. See how easy that was?

:notworthy1: because you make me smile

The quick answer is ppl buy Montblanc because they like it (with an exception of ppl who buy MB for resale at a later day which, in this case, profits is the reason if I may be blunt).

For me, I have MBs given to me by others which I appreciated. I have not used FPs for many years and just recently came back to use them since I find the RB to be extremely business-like nowaday and BP is just simply boring.

I will tell you a story about MB. I remember walking into a MB store a long long time ago accompanying my dad. I remember the services were excellent and the sales reps were attentive and very polite to the customers (in this case my dad) and very knowledgeable. That's a good memory. Also their pens were of good quality, at least the one I was given long time ago.

Fast forward to about 2-3 weeks ago. I walked into a MB store looking for the Mark Twain WE. While the services were reasonable (ie., the sales were polite and well manner), their understanding of FPs was lacking. A serious problem that I observed is that MB store, nowaday, offer absolutely nothing better than other retailed channels. They focus too much on sales and not enough enthusiasm on the art of writing instruments. While I understand that MB is a business but it could be better, significantly better especially if you are going to sell $1k+ pen. For me, I actually prefer to buy MB from a local old fashion retailer more than from the boutique. The old fashion local shops at least have deeper understanding of why we like FPs and are willing to spend (what is an insane amounts to others) significant sums for a pen.

Having said that the Thomas Mann and Mark Twain WE looks absolutely fabulous. If only they can have nibs that have some souls :)

You know... Montblanc isn't for everyone. Perhaps one shouldn't buy a Montblanc. See how easy that was?

I like that you stated that as a fact ("Montblanc isn't for everyone.")... means more for me!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

• 3 weeks later...

Fast forward to about 2-3 weeks ago. I walked into a MB store looking for the Mark Twain WE. While the services were reasonable (ie., the sales were polite and well manner), their understanding of FPs was lacking. A serious problem that I observed is that MB store, nowaday, offer absolutely nothing better than other retailed channels. They focus too much on sales and not enough enthusiasm on the art of writing instruments. While I understand that MB is a business but it could be better, significantly better especially if you are going to sell $1k+ pen. For me, I actually prefer to buy MB from a local old fashion retailer more than from the boutique. The old fashion local shops at least have deeper understanding of why we like FPs and are willing to spend (what is an insane amounts to others) significant sums for a pen.

I had this exact same experience a couple of weeks ago. I was sorely disappointed with the service at the Montblanc Boutique. I am gleeful to give my money to WorldLux and wait a few extra days. When I go in there, they take the time to geek chat pens, talk shop, joke around, and don't have some goofy condescending attitude. I can hang out in there for hours and feel welcome. I certainly can't do that in an MB store.

(std disclaimer: no affiliation to WorldLux other than devoted client)

the point is that none of us really need to buy an expensive pen. we don't, we just don't. if you want different types of inks for roller balls or ballpoints, then there are pens that are under twenty that will do just fine. my point is that why do we need to justify spending the money to, say, buy a MB 149 for $350 (it seems that's the max going price on th MP lately), but an M1000 from Pel there is no justification needed?

that's all.

The word "need" is pretty loaded here. Do people in temperate climes really need clothing? To say that something is a luxury item because you won't die with out it is absurd.

An item with utilitarian purpose which is used for that purpose is called a tool, not a luxury item.

The more you use an item, the more intimate you become with its characteristics, the more you become aware of both its limitations and its benefits.

For someone who writes (or draws) all day, comfort and smoothness are real issues. If a professional writer can work all day with a $800 pen (that's closer to the MB149's MSRP) but only two hours at a stretch with a biro before developing hand cramps, the $800 pen is much more cost-effective than the 10¢ Bic.

I'll grant that it's not so cut and dry in most of our lives, and I'll also grant that any pen that is purchased for a reason other than to use it qualifies as a luxury. But to paint anything over an arbitrary price limit as a luxury item without looking at who uses it and why, that's ignorant.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

I had not bought an MB because so many people have the MB Star sticking out of their pockets. I also thought that black pens are boring (I know there are many that are not just black). At a recent trip to pick up some ink at MB, in talking with the salesperson, I shared that I had all these nice Italian pens and not ever even tried a MB FP (I have 2 RBs). She handed me a 149. It felt really good. I couldn't help myself. A bit later I was poking around on eBay and saw an auction about to finish and the price was low for an immaculate pen.

I didn't think I would win but did. I am very impressed with it. True, I have others that write as nicely or nicer, but there is something about it that impresses me. And, yesterday, for its maiden voyage out of the house (Just got it 3 days ago), the first 2 people who saw it gave huge compliments. I was quite surprised at that, and am quite surprised at how much I like it.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

I bought mine (Mark Twain) because it is a beautiful writing instrument. I am also fond of the literature of Mark Twain, so I had to have it! Finally, I also bought it because owning a Montblanc is a symbol of certain social status, IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Jar,

I was surprised by your comment (below - pasted):

Can't think of a single reason unless you fondle one and like it. Montblanc makes very nice pens, certainly not among the most expensive pens by any stretch of imagination, but great everyday workhorse pens.

Since when would anyone consider Montblanc pens not among the most expensive? I'm talking generally speaking. Sure, Waterman or some company might have a solid gold with diamond pen worth a quarter of a million, but I'm talking about the bulk of their pens. I know of no other manufacturer that is more expense than Montblanc. I also would not call a Montblanc a workhorse pen. They are durable enough, if taken care of, to be that, but that comment seems to put them in a category of a common $8 ballpoint from the local drug store. It's like calling a Lamborghini a decent car to get the weekly groceries.

DJ