Why Buy A Mont Blanc?

kanajlo

I would like someone to make a case for purchasing a Mont Blanc at any point in my future! Please give me your best arguments about why this line of pens is worth the high price. So far, you see, I've noticed that there are cheaper pens out there which write truly wonderfully. Who is the greatest lover of this trademark? We can carry the conversation elsewhere if the rules insist on it. Enquiring minds want to know.

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• wspohn

• jar

• kanajlo

.....I've noticed that there are cheaper pens out there which write truly wonderfully.....

There is no need to buy anything more expensive if cheaper options fulfill the same needs and carry potential to give the same delight. No need to feel victimized by branding premiums. Easier said than done though. One way is to buy a nice, cheaper pen you like and never browse FPN again (no, I am not trying to drive any one out of here!), else you won't be able to restrain spending. Also, if possible, try before you buy any pen (including Montblanc).

Disclaimer: I own various models, including limited editions, of Montblanc.

Can't think of a single reason unless you fondle one and like it. Montblanc makes very nice pens, certainly not among the most expensive pens by any stretch of imagination, but great everyday workhorse pens.

My Website

In most cases I've bought a MB for strictly aesthetic reasons: some of the Writers Edition LE's have been simply stunning IMO (Hemingway, Wilde & Fitzgerald in particular, but others as well). I've long since sold a couple of the Writers Editions I've owned (an Agatha and a Kafka), but I've kept (so far!) the Fitzgerald and it gets into regular rotation as it's one of the few MB's I've had that also happens to write really well -- to me, it's a very elegant looking pen without being overstated (not to mention I love the Art Deco touches B) ).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

I bought a MB 146 and some 144s in 1983 because of the reputation. I have enjoyed using them since then. These pens have all been serviced or need to be serviced by Montblanc because of piston (146) leaks or material failure in the resin, mainly on the section of the 144--threads, capping ring. So, they don't seem to last like Parker 51s do. Pelikans probably have smoother nibs. Montblancs do write nicely and give pleasure. They are a luxury. They are just something you want.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks very much for your thoughts jigesh, pajaro, ttakacs, schadowrider, jar. :thumbup:

Edited by kanajlo

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

I would to try an MB, but these issues come to mind:

- high cost

- sealed nib unit requires service center to reseal if I remove nib

- fragile resin

- reports of boutique attitude, maybe lack of personal investment in fine writing.

Too many negatives.

I have only good experiences with Montblanc Service. I once went personally to the repair technician from MB and it was a good experience. Try the service of some Italian top brands.

Sure many shops are posh and often the sales person has no clue but if you look you'll find decent shops.

By the way, currently I only own Italian pens, I had a MB 146 and MB 149, sold them (for no good reason) and now regret it. I am thinking of buying a Boheme.

Why buy Pelikan? Parker? Pilot? Conway Stewart? Waterman? Cross? Sheaffer? when a simple Bic will do?

Answer: because you like it.

So why buy Mont blanc? Because you like them, as with ALL things in life that one may buy that are unnecessary.

if you ever neveed to sell, you'll get much more response for MB than other brands. even used. it's a brand that keeps its value unlike most others LE's included.

posters above have pretty much said it all, the snow capped crest peeping out of the pocket is a kinda status symbol for wannabees, execs ceo's lawyers. A pen many parents giver their graduating offspring.

maybe it shows you like or have been given luxury items and are not afraid to use, though a nice Peli Montegrappa Omas Delta Parker are just as good writers and oft times better. MB's are prone to problems but many people swear by them and the MB service. I have not been very impressed but that's subjective. I have sold upper end consignment MB's with less trouble than mother brands particularly if competitively priced. recently did a deal on the louis XIV and Pope Julius, buyer delighted, i made a fair profit and he got two excellent expensive pens for 50% of store price.

The MB 149 is a classic; big fat, makes a statement when you pull out, but then so is the Pelikan 800 or 1000. Carrying a reg MB or LE or for that matter any f/p you like, makes you feel good.

Pen People love hate or are indifferent to Mont Blancs but they sell in droves, have countless groupies, so there must be something going for 'em.

I've owned MB 149 off and on, in fact bought and sold thrice and now want again. Preferably a YOB (year of birth) edition from 1952 but price way up there. The older models with brass pistons invariably better than their modern day plastic descendents. A Solitairre 146 silver is a lovely pen, can sometimes be picked up fairly reasonably.

Do i suggest you buy MB, yes if you like it and for any of the above reasons

Why buy Pelikan? Parker? Pilot? Conway Stewart? Waterman? Cross? Sheaffer? when a simple Bic will do?

So why buy Mont Blanc? Because you like them, as with ALL things in life that one may buy that are unnecessary.

I think some pens are more necessary than others. If I need a ball point or a rollerball, I will go with something a bit better than Bic. There's that whole thing about paste ink versus gel ink verses liquid ink.

if you ever needed to sell, you'll get much more response for MB than other brands. even used. it's a brand that keeps its value

That's a great reason: trade-in value. I can understand that.

Edited by kanajlo

So why buy Mont Blanc? Because you like them, as with ALL things in life that one may buy that are unnecessary.

I think some pens are more necessary than others. If I need a ball point or a rollerball, I will go with something a bit better than Bic. There's that whole thing about paste ink versus gel ink verses liquid ink.

the point is that none of us really need to buy an expensive pen. we don't, we just don't. if you want different types of inks for roller balls or ballpoints, then there are pens that are under twenty that will do just fine. my point is that why do we need to justify spending the money to, say, buy a MB 149 for $350 (it seems that's the max going price on th MP lately), but an M1000 from Pel there is no justification needed?

that's all.

The concept of justifying the purchase of any fountain pen in this day and age is ludicrous. Technology has moved on beyond the fountain pen to ballpoints, rollerballs, etc. In fact, the technological developments in computers and phones are just about making writing with pens obsolete. So, writing with any nice pen is just a nice to have sort of thing. If you have to justify your pleasures and hobbies, I think you have lost perspective. Of course, we all do this from time to time, and we try to justify our pleasures. It shouldn't be necessary.

Try a Montblanc. See if you like it. If you don't, sell or trade it. For some time I have looked askance at bigger pens. Recently I traded some Parker 51s for a Pelikan black 805. I figured just try it. Well, it feels OK. Black isn't my favorite color, but this pen is beautiful. Possibly I'll even ink it. You should try new things. I had been in a Parker 51 and MB 144 rut for quite a while. Now, I am actually using Pel 4xx and 2xx pens! Whoa Nellie!

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I would like someone to make a case for purchasing a Mont Blanc at any point in my future! Please give me your best arguments about why this line of pens is worth the high price. So far, you see, I've noticed that there are cheaper pens out there which write truly wonderfully. Who is the greatest lover of this trademark? We can carry the conversation elsewhere if the rules insist on it. Enquiring minds want to know.

I own about 20 MB pens most of limited edition. I love them all and I do love my Montegrappas and my single Pelikan that writes so nice. The MB pens have a value and retain value and this definitely adds to the allure and element of owning, using and carrying the pen. Most people have the black and gold meisterstuck. I mean holy (Potty Mouth) - when I went to a meeting with my Catherine the Great and we were in a small board room with 10 people around a small table, this pen really stood out.

Ultimately I think the best reason you might buy one in the future is b/c you are educated on the subject and if you are at an estate sale or auction or on craigslist you might see a pen that you know you could buy, use and then sell and get most if not all of your money back. No, not an investment, but more like a low-cost lease. I picked up 10 pens on craigslist that I bought at the right price and know I can sell anytime and get the majority of my money back. Just know what you are buying. And yes I think craigslist is a lot safer than ebay b/c you can see the pens in person.

so yes, buy the less expensive pens too, but don't rule out the MB b/c of price. They are great writers and great lookers too (most of them).

Please give me your best arguments about why this line of pens is worth the high price..

Because I can.

If I could afford an Italian sports car I'd buy one.

If I could afford a mansion I'd buy one.

To me it comes down to quality. The price may be comparably higher in price than other cheaper brands but when you consider what you are getting for the money, personally I do not think that the price is high.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

It just sort of rolls off the tongue -- Montblanc...Montblanc...mohblah...mahblah...

Your colleagues see the white stars in your shirt pocket and think "What a pompous . . ."

And you don't care at all what the hey they think. . .mahblah. . .

The pens have been so nice to use that, trust me, I didn't care what the hey they thought. . .mahblah. . .

Don't take this the wrong way, please, but I don't understand why you think anyone should care whether you ever buy a Mont Blanc. This is an old, old discussion, of which I should think you would be able to get your fill reading the archive here.

The brand is well known, there are photos and testimonials all over the place, there are Mont Blanc boutiques scattered all around the globe, and many new and used Mont Blancs available at pen shows, at dealers and on ebay.

It is a nice pen among nice pens, neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. What else does anyone need to do? Nothing. You're either interested or you are not; take it or leave it.

I can't see why you think your decision should be anything but a matter of complete indifference to anyone else, Mont Blanc owner or not, unless it is a matter of your being amused by the ease with which you an get some people to talk about their Mont Blancs. Can't you arrange to get a tryout and make up your own mind? If you have no other access, and if you are financially qualified to own a Mont Blanc you can very easily buy one on ebay, and if you don't like it, resell it.

Basically, I think you are asking people to write an apologia for their ownership of a Mont Blanc pen, and I think that crowds the rules for this forum.

Read and observe:

Incendiary posts, also known as "trolling", "stirring the pot" or "flamebait": Posts with content designed to produce an outraged, defensive response are not allowed. In this forum, these posts are often (but not always) strongly based on outrage over Montblanc cost, perceived value, pen brands in the Third Reich and during World War Two, snobbery and prestige issues, claims about quality, and the perceived or actual social class of MB owners, or the alleged social-climbing of MB owners. These posts often include calls to "prove" things about MB product quality or value. Sometimes there are attempts to "convert" MB owners away from the brand, and often a fair bit of insult, overt or subtle, is included.

The rest is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55049-montblanc-forum-rules/

Edited by Mr Blifil

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

If they float your boat, and you have the money, buy one. They are pretty and write rather well.

There are many pens for a lot less that write really well too.

I don't like the current brand image, so I currently only have one MB fountain, a Noblesse. But I do have some classic series ballpoints that I'm rather fond of.

I had a 146 for 33 years and it was a good writer.

It does all come down to - is the pen a good value for YOU personally - based on your reaction to it, and the state of your checkbook.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Don't take this the wrong way, please, but I don't understand why you think anyone should care whether you ever buy a Mont Blanc. This is an old, old discussion, of which I should think you would be able to get your fill reading the archive here.

The brand is well known, there are photos and testimonials all over the place, there are Mont Blanc boutiques scattered all around the globe, and many new and used Mont Blancs available at pen shows, at dealers and on ebay.

It is a nice pen among nice pens, neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. What else does anyone need to do? Nothing. You're either interested or you are not; take it or leave it.

I can't see why you think your decision should be anything but a matter of complete indifference to anyone else, Mont Blanc owner or not, unless it is a matter of your being amused by the ease with which you an get some people to talk about their Mont Blancs. Can't you arrange to get a tryout and make up your own mind? If you have no other access, and if you are financially qualified to own a Mont Blanc you can very easily buy one on ebay, and if you don't like it, resell it.

Basically, I think you are asking people to write an apologia for their ownership of a Mont Blanc pen, and I think that crowds the rules for this forum.

Read and observe:

Incendiary posts, also known as "trolling", "stirring the pot" or "flamebait": Posts with content designed to produce an outraged, defensive response are not allowed. In this forum, these posts are often (but not always) strongly based on outrage over Montblanc cost, perceived value, pen brands in the Third Reich and during World War Two, snobbery and prestige issues, claims about quality, and the perceived or actual social class of MB owners, or the alleged social-climbing of MB owners. These posts often include calls to "prove" things about MB product quality or value. Sometimes there are attempts to "convert" MB owners away from the brand, and often a fair bit of insult, overt or subtle, is included.

The rest is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55049-montblanc-forum-rules/

Thank you, you expressed my exact thoughts but much more elequently then me.

Bottom line you wanna buy it then go ahead and do and if you dont then dont, no one here cares if you or I or anyone else buys a MB or not.

Respect to all