The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Yongsheng533 And Hero 266 Double Review

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:46

A good friend sent me 2 budget pens and I did a little writing test and included some photos of the pens. I really like both of them quite a bit, especially since the YongSheng/WingSung is a PERFECT fit (both in size and aesthetics) for my Bic Madison/Atchison jr. padfolio and the Hero 266 is a skinny but smooth writer that got me plenty of compliments from my Chinese co-workers who appreciate that I can use an excellent fountain pen instead of a cheap ballpoint. What follows are lots of photos (hosted on my own space, so no need for the admins to worry). The Hero 266 is the silver pen and the YongSheng 533 is the black lacquer pen. Many thanks to FDJ for the hookup! He's got a real nose for finding top value pens!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by bluemagister, 14 August 2010 - 03:32.

Sponsored Content

#2 mompus

mompus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:10

'Yong Sheng' is the correct Mandarin pronunciation of 'Wing Sung'.

#3 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:32

Thanks! I made the correction in the text.

#4 shadowsforbars

shadowsforbars

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 13:12

You make a good point - that pens at this price point compete with ballpoints. Pens in the cayman mouth style always make me smile; what other pens do that? Thanks for the review.

#5 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:53

Thanks for the review! Interesting little pens with odd little hooded nibs. They look kind of cool that way!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#6 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:15

Here's one more pic with a comparison - has the Hero 266 capped and un-capped; the YongShen 533s in each color beside a TWSBI, a Hero 616, and a Pilot VP. edit again: added one w/the blue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mrloco, 20 August 2010 - 01:22.

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

#7 dsatco

dsatco

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 00:46

Ya...says who?

#8 kuno

kuno

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:55

The Red Chinese government. They standardized pinyin back in the fifties with Mao. That's why we don't call Beijing Kaoya Peking Duck these days... :wacko:

Nice pens, by the way. How does the finish hold up on those pens? Although my experience with Chinese pens have been generally positive I have yet to see one whose finish lasts well.

Edited by kuno, 17 October 2010 - 04:57.

#9 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2010 - 13:12

I have many Hero pens that I'm very satisfied with. I like the colour of your ink. Hero 266 looks good to me and will get a few for myself.

#10 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 14:53

Nice pens, by the way. How does the finish hold up on those pens? Although my experience with Chinese pens have been generally positive I have yet to see one whose finish lasts well.

Thanks. The finish is holding up pretty well though I only bought them early August--not enough to wear the finish much. I do carry a Yongsheng 533 in my pocket in a daytimer wallet (like the one in my avatar) so it does get abused a bit. No noticeable chipping yet.
There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

#11 dsatco

dsatco

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:35

The Red Chinese government. They standardized pinyin back in the fifties with Mao. That's why we don't call Beijing Kaoya Peking Duck these days... :wacko:

Oh...so you're siding with Chairman Mao, eh?:embarrassed_smile::notworthy1::headsmack::rolleyes::bunny01::thumbup::crybaby::roflmho::cloud9::puddle::eureka::mellow::drool:

Edited by dsatco, 21 October 2010 - 03:36.

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:11

Loves my Heroes.

The Wing Sung looks pretty spiffy, too. Thanks for the review and I really appreciate all those pics!

#13 hoche

hoche

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:03

love heros, also yong sheng.
both of them are may daily pens.

#14 virgilio

virgilio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2016 - 00:18

The finish on my Hero 616s is very good and has worn quite well. I use their barrels to replace some of my Italian Scolastica barrels and caps when they wear out; they happen of the same size, exactly one centimetre in diameter

Sponsored Content

|