Newbie intro

Ogrebait

Greetings from the Columbia River Gorge,

Long time lurker, first time member.

I became interested in fountain pens lately after receiving a Pelikan M200 from a friend as a gift. It has been very enjoyable in everyday use at work and at home. The problem is you can't just have one.

There is a wealth of fountain pen knowledge to be discovered on this board. I've been to other pen boards, but this one is the most user friendly. The members are also friendly and willing to share their knowledge and experience. I hope to offer some insight someday, but for now I will just sit back and learn.

It's funny, since my newfound interest my wife and kids have shown a desire to use fountain pens.

Rick

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.

--Henry David Thoreau

"The definition of success--To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ogrebait

• Ruaidhri

• mike1

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to FPN, Rick. I can see how a Pelikan M200 could set off an addiction -- I adore mine. And you're absolutely right about not being to have just one fountain pen. Or two. Or three...

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Hi and Welcome Rick,

It's funny, since my newfound interest my wife and kids have shown a desire to use fountain pens.

It's not funny at all - cost me a bl... fortune :angry:

Tell your family that fountain pens are dangerous, make your hair fall out,,,anything !

Then buy your pens and hide them :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Having a wife who likes pens helps in easing the acquision of more and more new pens. I know from experience from which I speak. Welcome to our group.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hate to disagree with Mike but so far it has cost me:

Wahl gold ringtop

Parker Burgundy UK Duofold Set

Parker Burgundy UK Duofold (fine nib)

3 Jotter ballpens

1 Silver/Saffron Jotter Premier Edition

Papermate FP

Papermate BP gold

Parker Blue UK Duofold

Parker 17 burgundy

Parker 35 gold

Parker 100 fp & BP gold/white set

Sheaffer Balance

Sheaffer Imperial

Sheaffer Lady Set gold

Sheaffer Skripsert

Parkette green marble

Pelikan 400 honey/white

Pelikan 750 silver

Cross BP Gold

Cross BP silver

Aurora Marco Polo

Christian Dior BP

Tiffany BP silver

H.M. Pen

2 Victorian pencils gold

Conway Stewart BP/Pencil set gold

Waterman... gold

Colibri FP gold

Yard-o-Led pencil gold

2 Wahl pencils, gold

Platinum, silver & tulips

Hummingbird

.....and OBVIOUSLY

a Silver cap, blue diamond, cedar blue, sj vac "51"

Note: "gold" in most cases (but unfortunately not all) refers to gold filled or rolled gold.

I rest my case :D :D :D :D

Having said all that - I am FAR worse, we've been married since Sept 1970, and I really am rather fond of SWMBO :blush:

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Hello Rick and welcome aboard! I see you're getting a good dose of FPN humor right off the bat. Don't let 'em scare you away - they're actually quite harmless. Hope to see you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Ruaidhri, a small price to pay for domestic bliss.

Congrats on delurking, Rick! Look forward to seeing your posts!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Rick,

Southpaw is right - we don't take ourselves too seriously around here. No pretentious pompous #%$£s allowed :D

Bad part: that list of Sheila's pens is real. :angry:

Good part: when my CP5 arrived from Andreas instead of "it cost WHAT???" she said "God what a beautiful pen". :meow:

AND it is way too big for her hand :D :D :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Ruaihri,

Joyce has a few pens she hoards. I never get to see them much less use them. They are shut up in her journal and they go with her. Both are Parkers. One is a "51" and the other is modern, a Chisseled Tartan GT Sonnet. Heck, I bought her the Sonnet thinking I'd get to play with it. Little did I know. All the other pens we have I get to use as much as I'd like, except maybe for the other "51" I just fixed for her.

Mike

Edited by mike1

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

I think that if my husband was involved in fountain pen collecting, it might put a damper on my colleting. He would then know the value of some of my pens! :o We're in a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" thing. He does know the aproximate value of my cheaper pens that the majority of my Esties were around $10 each :)

Welcome, Rick (from another Rick), despite the scary avatar. ;) Anticipating Halloween, or ??? Though I hear mostly very good things about Pelikan pens, they have to possess the dorkiest looking clips ever designed, and so I haven't partaken as of yet. ;) I started with a Parker 75 sterling Cisele, but rapidly changed preference after being infected here at FPN. :blink: In the face of the constant pressure, I tried to resist Parker 51s, but, as with the Borg, resistance is futile. :blush: To each his/her own, but for me, certain vintage pens have not been exceeded in effectiveness and aesthetics by modern pens costing more, and so that is where I throw away, oops, er, I mean, "invest" (yeah that's it, it's an INVESTMENT!!! - hahahahahaha!) my meager coin. I wish you well in your interest. Don't worry about getting in too deep. I've found that skipping meals in order to buy more pens has had a somewhat positive effect on my physique. :roflmho:

Nihonto Chicken

Rick,

Southpaw is right - we don't take ourselves too seriously around here. No pretentious pompous #%$£s allowed

I am happy to hear that. I don't think I have a pompous or serious bone in my body. I gotta keep my blood pressure down. My humor is extra dry though which could be taken seriously.:mellow: ;)

I think that if my husband was involved in fountain pen collecting, it might put a damper on my colleting. He would then know the value of some of my pens! We're in a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

That is true. How can I disguise my bi-monthly nonessential hedonistic pen purchases as common unassuming home office supplies? :)

Rick

Edited by Ogrebait

I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.

--Henry David Thoreau

"The definition of success--To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome, Rick (from another Rick), despite the scary avatar.  Anticipating Halloween, or ???

My avatar can beat up your avatar? :lol:

In the face of the constant pressure, I tried to resist Parker 51s, but, as with the Borg, resistance is futile.

I can already feel a raging Parker 51 infection coming on. It could be the dreaded deadly double jewel strain.:sick:

Rick

--Henry David Thoreau

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not all fountain-pen using spouses are the cheerful enablers described by Ruaidhri and Mike1.

We describe ourselves here as fountain pen addicts or penoholics, and by that metaphor my spouse is a social fountain pen user. She has one fountain pen (Reform piston-filler, M) and one bottle of ink (Waterman's blue-black) and steadfastly refuses my blandishments ("just one more won't hurt") like a temperate person with a drunken friend in bar. :(

I have got her to the point of noting that "the orange one is prettier" when admiring the pens at a well-known website. But at that moment, she remembered authorizing the purchase of a discontinued-finish Prelude or two, and flinched.

Welcome aboard, Rick.

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

Welcome Rick,

Just be aware that those darn "51"s can't live alone, they have to have company

Jim :D

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Where are my manners?:doh: I forgot to thank everyone for the warm welcomes.

Thank you,

Rick

--Henry David Thoreau

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome Rick!!!

I lived in yoru neck of the woods at Eugene for a year. Attended Uof O for a year, and tried to run and join Coach Dellinger's team, and become the next Steve Prefontaine!!! Alas that didnt happen, and so, I found myself transformed into a michigan Wolverine, and discovered fountain pens!!!