Pelikan 140 Black

piembi

I see that your pelikan 140 is preserved. The gold plate on the nib did not disappear, but I think that your pelikan 140 leaves little more ink than normal...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• piembi

• Edgar Allan Bo

• Russ

• jde

I see that your pelikan 140 is preserved. The gold plate on the nib did not disappear, but I think that your pelikan 140 leaves little more ink than normal...

The nib is a 14K nib. But the cap has some brassing.

I should have written a few words with a modern pen and Pelikan Blue Black. This pen writes a nice wet line with a dry ink = perfect. Most modern pens write a dry line with this dry ink = poor performance.

Oops! Didn't thought of it when I did my reports. :hmm1:

Don't worry, I'm done with B's, BB'S, OB's, OBB's, and O3B's for some time, and I'll let you have all the M's, OM's, OF's... I leave you even

all the ST's, KF's, KM's, KB's, KOB's and °'s... even the DEF's and DF's you can have... but the rest is what I've got my eye on! :roflmho:

I don't have much in Pelikan....a 120 regular flex Fine that is a joy to write with.

My first semi-flex I traded a Franklin Mint Robert E. Lee mint pocket knife for a 140 OB 14 K, and three other pens at a flea market.

A 400NN, OF semi flex......the other 400 and 605 are run of the mill modern regular nibs.

OBB, 3 x OB, B, KM, some M's, some F's, 2x OF's and an EF in Semi-flex. Need a BB, I guess...though it's covered with the OBB.

Then I find out about ST's...and suddenly need KF's...sigh...

The DEF and DF...no...I don't do nails.

Before my 140 OB, semi-flex was what I wanted...and never seen. Pressed the nib to my thumb...and nearly did cart wheels.

One Does need a regular flex, B, M and F, in they shade nicely with a good shading ink.

Now that I got the basics in semi-flex...I'm looking to up grade to top of the line semi-flex....pure greed. :headsmack:

The 140 started it all for me...and it's OB 30 degree is still my second best nib.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 year later...

All sorts of pens are a fraction of an inch longer or shorter than some other... so one has a long and a short in each size; Short, Medium short, Medium, medium-large, large, over sized.

I now think the 120/140/Geha 790 to be regular Standard medium sized fountain pens. So is a M400.

The 400NN is like the 605 a medium large pen. So when one compares a medium large pen to a standard pen, the standard is smaller.

Well, the Standard 140 is just a tad smaller than a later Standard M400 or the then Esterbrook DJ.

It is appears 'much' smaller than the barely medium large 400NN or 605. ( Those are just a tad smaller than a medium large P-51)

The 'standard' sized 140 is appears almost but not quite a medium small. It is the size of a 120 and a Geha 790. That is is the same size as the Standard sized Geha 790 means it was not a medium small pen after all.

Capped, un-posted, posted

120 capped 4 15/16, 4 1/2, posted 5 11/16ths

140 capped 4 15/16, 4 3/8, posted 5 5/8

Geha 790 capped 5", 4 1/2, posted 5 13/16

M400 capped 4 15/16, 4 11/16, posted 5 13/16

400NN capped 5 1/4, 4 7/8, posted 5 15/16

In that I post almost all my pens, posting don't matter; they all post well.

One of the reasons a P-140 may seem small is the nib is smaller than the M400, P 120 or the medium large 400NN.

I can use the 140 easily. It has that grand OB nib, that depending on my mood is still 4/5/6 best nib I have.

I recommend it as a 'first' semi-flex. It is 'affordable' at @ € 40-70 on German Ebay.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 years later...

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of getting a 140 with a B nib. This thread has really helped.