Edison Glenmont Bulb-filler

tonybelding

Man i just can't get over how good that pen looks. I can't wait to get mine. I wonder if he's back in his shop from DC, yet. Of course, the closer it gets to being my turn, the more anxious I'll get. :rolleyes:

Oh well...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• Strang

• buffalowings

• roofchees9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I'd be concerned if a new $400 pen arrived with 'micro scratches' and 'flea-bites'.

My 15yo MB149 arrived this week without either! As did my much less-expensive Worcester Pens Spencer, another 'hand-made' pen.

I'm sure Bryan would sort it out for you ....the 'eccentric' blind-cap would be more of a worry.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• 8 months later...

Today seems like a good time to revisit this old review and update a couple of things.

This morning I got a replacement nib in the mail. The customized nib that I originally got with the pen was good, but my experience with stub nibs evolved, and it was superseded by another that I like better. I decided to get a regular (non-customized) fine nib for this pen.

My timing was good. Brian Gray just recently got his steel nibs (both white and two-tone) engraved with the Edison logo. The IPG nib came out, the Edison-marked nib went in -- and it's amazing! It's super-smooth with just the right flow. These seemingly generic German-made steel nibs may not carry great cachet, but Brian sure knows how to tune them.

I have it filled with Private Reserve Invincible Black right now, which I find (to my surprise) writes even more pleasantly than Noodler's Black in this pen. The difference is subtle, but the PR ink feels smoother, produces a slightly bolder line, and has a slightly darker sheen -- more of a matte black texture.

I should finally answer this too. . . .

Personally, I'd be concerned if a new $400 pen arrived with 'micro scratches' and 'flea-bites'.

No. Those flaws are so minute that I never see them unless I go looking for them. Since I got the pen, roughly ten months ago, it has picked up a few new minor scuffs, and I'm sure there will be more to follow. From my viewpoint, it wasn't meant to sit in a display case and look flawless. To complain about a not-quite-microscopic chip in the edge of the ink window would be churlish -- sort of like griping that Leonardo left smudged fingerprints on his paintings.

what a handsome and tasteful pen! i'll bet it turns a few eyes. thank you also for the convincing review.

"People build themselves a furnace when all they need is a lamp." Maulana Jalaludin Balkhi (Rumi)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the review and, especially, the update. I do not write with much line variation, so I have been considering an Edison with a steel nib. It is nice to get an assessment of the steel nibs.

• 4 months later...

That's still a stunningly beautiful pen. And as for the steel nib, well I firmly believe there is way too much gold-nib snobbery around fountain pens. The majority of my better writing pens have steel nibs (excepting only my 51s).

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Love the Glenmont. Just ordered one, a bulb filler, to go with my Edison Pearl from a couple of years ago. I've got a few weeks to wait.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this pen review. I also think you have good taste! The orange and gray is very nice looking and a nib modeled after an Estie nib, well you can't get better than that. I do like the bulb-filler, but it will be out of my budget for a while. Being able to have a pen made and speak to the builder yourself without having to speak an Asian language is really cool and I hope to have one of this brand of pens sometime soon!

Sean R.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the ink window so large? A smaller ink window would be more aesthetically attractive. Does he make pens with smaller ink windows?