• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speedy

• watch_art

• jniforat

• Surnia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, Speedy, it's the first week of July ... we're all waiting (breathlessly!). :puddle::puddle:

Montblanc Blue-Black please; shaken, not stirred.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I believe the stars will shine at night. Now, ask me what I know.

Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Finally received my 530 in the mail today. I don't think I've ever been so pleased with the result of $40 spent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Mitaka and used to own a Densho. They both have ink cut-off valves. I really like that feature; it makes the pen much safer for transporting. I wonder if TWSBI could design it so the back knob turns to move the rod forward and back but without the back knob extending.

I just took a close look of the Vacuum blind cap action. It seemed when you start truning the blind cap the piston start to moving up also, which means if you need to write for longer time, you just need to turn the blind cap the ink on upper chamber can then flow into lower chamber.

http://img.skitch.com/20100814-f6af47ddh2yx4iqqfrykt46rqe.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

http://img.skitch.com/20100814-1ihek5nrwu7hftnsjh2bdcwcf.preview.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20100814-1cqkfjfsd652a2dajk5hyjs15g.preview.jpg

Will it be like a Visconti Double Reservoir Vac Fill?! :hmm1:

http://www.visconti.it/swf/filling/doubletank/doubletank.html

I think its just a general "feature" of vacuum fillers. Visconti apparently has a larger section before the vac reservoir, so it functions as a double reservoir.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I think its just a general "feature" of vacuum fillers. Visconti apparently has a larger section before the vac reservoir, so it functions as a double reservoir.

Visconti has two types of Vacuum Fillers*:

1) High Vacuum Power Filler. It's a single tank, about the same mechanism as Sheafers Vac-Fill (from the 30's) and the modern Pilot Custom 823. See the animation: http://www.visconti....ower/power.html

2) Double Reservoir Power Filler (or just Double Reservoir). Only in Visconti LEs. Holds more ink than the Power Filler and and the user need to unscrew the blind cap to release the 2nd reservoir, after the 1st tank had been finished. The animation is on another post above.

My question is if TWSBI Vac700 will have the same mechanism as Double Reservoir.

*Edited: Visconti has also another vacuum mechanism that is the same as Vacumatic from vintage Parker, but it's another kind of vacuum filler.

Edited by fabrimedeiros

1) High Vacuum Power Filler. It's a single tank, about the same mechanism as Sheafers Vac-Fill (from the 30's) and the modern Pilot Custom 823. See the animation: http://www.visconti....ower/power.html

2) Double Reservoir Power Filler (or just Double Reservoir). Only in Visconti LEs. Holds more ink than the Power Filler and and the user need to unscrew the blind cap to release the 2nd reservoir, after the 1st tank had been finished. The animation is on another post above.

My question is if TWSBI Vac700 will have the same mechanism as Double Reservoir.

*Edited: Visconti has also another vacuum mechanism that is the same as Vacumatic from vintage Parker, but it's another kind of vacuum filler.

I'm hoping the TWSBI vac filler will use a mechanism like the Pilot Custom 823.

From what I understand of the pilot 823 and the TWSBI mechanism though, is that you can write with the blind cap down, but its only for a short time because the main reservoir is sealed off (akin to the double reservoir system of Visconti). In both cases, you're supposed to unscrew the blind cap slightly to "break" the seal between reservoir and feed. I'm not sure if you're supposed to do that with the "basic" power filler from Visconti, but the animation thing doesn't seem to emphasize this. I believe the TWSBI reasoning for this at least, is to reduce the effects that air pressure will have on the pen as you carry it (ie. on a plane) because the main body is effectively sealed off.

On the TWSBI forums Vac fill project page, look down to the Novermber 14, 2010 update. There's a small leaflet sample on how the vac mechanism works and how its used for writing. Carrying mode, which has the section sealed off from the tank; writing, where they're connected and the ink is going into the section; and the too far thing where you've effectively gone... too far.

http://www.bbs.twsbi.com/viewthread.php?tid=184&extra=page%3D1

Edited by Surnia

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Surnia and ranging.dragon,

The Homo Sapiens has the power filler. After fill the pen, I don't need to do anything, just write until ink runs out. I don't have a Pilot 823, but I guess it's the same system of visconti HS. The leaflet on TWSBI forum clarifies a little more, but I'm not sure if we have to unscrew the blind cap slightly to "break" the seal between reservoir and feed several times until the ink runs out. Anyway, I bet this pen will be great! However I can't wait more! Thanks for the response!

Hi guys,

I would like to ask those of you who already have TWSBI 530 about its grip. I have the Preppy and I'm a little bit scared that it is as thick as on the TWSBI, am I wrong? I hope I am. If you have the chance, could you compare it with Pilot 78g which I have home?

Thanks a lot.