Wing Sung 703 Nos: Handwritten Review

Sailor Kenshin

A kind FPN member, knowing my love for cheap 'n' cheerful Chinese pens, sent me two NOS Wing Sung 'Children's Pens' from the '70s.

These are mini-pens and bulb fillers, somewhat similar to the Hero 366, except that the Hero has a cigar shape and a silvertone cap, where the Wing Sung has flattened ends, goldtone trim, and a plastic cap that seats with a nice audible 'click.' Both have a clear clutch ring to view ink supply.

One Wing Sung was black, the other burgundy. I tested the black pen first with some dark-green ink I call Navy Green (a deep mix of blues, browns, greens and reds).

Alas, this black pen spewed ink all over my fingers, the barrel, everywhere. I cleaned it up and took a breath.

A bit cautious now, I filled the burgundy model with a much lighter ink consisting of one drop of the Navy Green and several of JH Orange Indien. The result was a light green ink. And this pen did not leak.

The nib is a nail, no doubt about it, but it writes fairly wet and lays down a consistent fine-medium line. The Hero's nib is notably smoother.

Review page scanned:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ProfessorBunky/Pens%20etc/WingSungChildrensPenTests.jpg

The Wing Sung, side-by-side with a Hero 366, laid on the test-page notebook (a Staples comp notebook, quad-ruled).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ProfessorBunky/Pens%20etc/WingSungPensw_Test.jpg

Would I buy it? Perhaps, if the price was right; the Hero 366 in bulk worked out to about three USD per pen, and none so far have leaked or balked in any way.

Bulb-fillers are cute; I like seeing the ink squirt up into the bulb. They don't have a huge ink capacity but that's never bothered me.

In all, though I think the Hero 366 would win any comparison, the Wing Sung seems a cute pen and would fit little hands very well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• lovemy51

• jniforat

• rickboone

Thanks for the fun review Sailor Kenshin! I greatly enjoy the two cheap Chinese pens I own and think they compare very well to my better pen. I've never tried a Hero or a Wing Sung before but they both look like good pens. I also really like your homemade green ink thumbup.gif !

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Thanks---just call me Dr. Inkenstein. ;-p

It is a cute pen and I do like the look--- wish the black one was working. I would have offered it to someone.

i was reading on the forum earlier that Wing Sung makes a "sheaffer-snorkel-like" fountain pen, is this true?

I don't know---anyone else?

This was only my second Wing Sung pen. The other one was given in the PIF thread, or even before that.

i was reading on the forum earlier that Wing Sung makes a "sheaffer-snorkel-like" fountain pen, is this true?

they sure do...

http://isellpens.com/Images/WingSung/WING%20SUNG%20237%20SET.JPG

http://isellpens.com/Images/WingSung/WING%20SUNG%20233%20BLACK%201.JPG

(images from isellpens: http://isellpens.com/wingsung.html )

... and many more models with that type of triumph nib!

edited to add: triumph nib: YES! snorkle: NO!

Edited by lovemy51

Where could i get one of these?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Where could i get one of these?

Kind of You to ask (especially after learning that 1 of the 2 pens sent had a bad leak*)

About ten days ago I sent a handful off, from Shanghai, to speerbob.com. Assuming they get there

on time, He'll have them at the D.C. show. If there is a good response, perhaps Bob

will offer more on his site.

Best wishes to all, and my thanks to Sailor Kenshin for looking the pens over.

mompus

*the leak does not come 'standard'

And I forgot to mention that the Hero 366 and WIng Sung both have hooded nibs.

I have a thing for those. :lol:

The other Wing Sung that I owned is the one in Lovemy51's pic: the butterscotch color. Interesting finish and nib.

I hear the Wing Sung children's pen also comes in green and gray.

After a week or so, I have to give the WS the win in looks over the Hero 366. It just looks better. True, the Hero's nib is a bit smoother and wetter; however the Wing Sung seems to be 'smoothing out' as I write wtih it.