The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wing Sung 703 Nos: Handwritten Review

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 14:49

A kind FPN member, knowing my love for cheap 'n' cheerful Chinese pens, sent me two NOS Wing Sung 'Children's Pens' from the '70s.

These are mini-pens and bulb fillers, somewhat similar to the Hero 366, except that the Hero has a cigar shape and a silvertone cap, where the Wing Sung has flattened ends, goldtone trim, and a plastic cap that seats with a nice audible 'click.' Both have a clear clutch ring to view ink supply.

One Wing Sung was black, the other burgundy. I tested the black pen first with some dark-green ink I call Navy Green (a deep mix of blues, browns, greens and reds).

Alas, this black pen spewed ink all over my fingers, the barrel, everywhere. I cleaned it up and took a breath.

A bit cautious now, I filled the burgundy model with a much lighter ink consisting of one drop of the Navy Green and several of JH Orange Indien. The result was a light green ink. And this pen did not leak.

The nib is a nail, no doubt about it, but it writes fairly wet and lays down a consistent fine-medium line. The Hero's nib is notably smoother.

Review page scanned:

Posted Image

The Wing Sung, side-by-side with a Hero 366, laid on the test-page notebook (a Staples comp notebook, quad-ruled).
Posted Image

Would I buy it? Perhaps, if the price was right; the Hero 366 in bulk worked out to about three USD per pen, and none so far have leaked or balked in any way.

Bulb-fillers are cute; I like seeing the ink squirt up into the bulb. They don't have a huge ink capacity but that's never bothered me.

In all, though I think the Hero 366 would win any comparison, the Wing Sung seems a cute pen and would fit little hands very well.

Sponsored Content

#2 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 15:15

Thanks for the fun review Sailor Kenshin! I greatly enjoy the two cheap Chinese pens I own and think they compare very well to my better pen. I've never tried a Hero or a Wing Sung before but they both look like good pens. I also really like your homemade green ink Posted Image !

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#3 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 18:10

Thanks---just call me Dr. Inkenstein. ;-p

It is a cute pen and I do like the look--- wish the black one was working. I would have offered it to someone.

#4 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 19:52

i was reading on the forum earlier that Wing Sung makes a "sheaffer-snorkel-like" fountain pen, is this true?

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:32

I don't know---anyone else?

This was only my second Wing Sung pen. The other one was given in the PIF thread, or even before that.

#6 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:52

i was reading on the forum earlier that Wing Sung makes a "sheaffer-snorkel-like" fountain pen, is this true?

they sure do...

Posted Image
Posted Image
(images from isellpens: http://isellpens.com/wingsung.html )

... and many more models with that type of triumph nib!

edited to add: triumph nib: YES! snorkle: NO!

Edited by lovemy51, 06 August 2010 - 04:55.

#7 rickboone

rickboone

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:52

Where could i get one of these?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 mompus

mompus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:44

Kind of You to ask (especially after learning that 1 of the 2 pens sent had a bad leak*)
About ten days ago I sent a handful off, from Shanghai, to speerbob.com. Assuming they get there
on time, He'll have them at the D.C. show. If there is a good response, perhaps Bob
will offer more on his site.
Best wishes to all, and my thanks to Sailor Kenshin for looking the pens over.
mompus
*the leak does not come 'standard'

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:33

And I forgot to mention that the Hero 366 and WIng Sung both have hooded nibs.

I have a thing for those. :lol:

The other Wing Sung that I owned is the one in Lovemy51's pic: the butterscotch color. Interesting finish and nib.

#10 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 20:00

drats on no snorkel, but i'll buy a few for the "triumph-nib" look alike.

#11 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:30

hi. look at the link under the picture!!! :happyberet:

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2010 - 18:16

I hear the Wing Sung children's pen also comes in green and gray.

After a week or so, I have to give the WS the win in looks over the Hero 366. It just looks better. True, the Hero's nib is a bit smoother and wetter; however the Wing Sung seems to be 'smoothing out' as I write wtih it.

Sponsored Content

|