The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montegrappa Human Civilization

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:46

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I just completed the tribute to mankind trilogy set that Montegrappa produced between 1999 to 2002. The Science and Nature pen was the first one released and the first one that I reviewed. The next pen in the series was the Human Civilization which was produced in 2000, here we go.......

Packaging: 9/10

This box set is really nice and unique, it looks like its in the form of a pyramid. Like the Science & Nature box, the outer box is fairly large so it does take up a decent amount of space but it certainly is one of the neatest boxes that I've ever seen for a pen. (not that you really use them anyway)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Appearance: 9/10

This pen, like the others, is georgeous in person. Looking at all the pictures before I bought anything, this was my favortie pen of the three. Montegrappa did a wonderful job with the cap and the clip. I just love the dark brown celluloid as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only thing holding me back from a perfect appearance on this pen is the body, its a little busy with all the etchings on it. Don't get me wrong I do like design, I just wish it was a little less busy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

NIB: 9.5/10

I love the NIB engraving on this one, I think Montegrappa did a great job here. The performance is good, l'm going the have the NIB adjusted to fine from medium on this one too.

Posted Image

Filling System: 9.5/10

Same rating as the Science & Nature, its a piston filled pen which is great the only reason I wouldn't rate it higher is because I think the pen should hold a little more ink.

Cost Value: 9/10

Same analysis here too as with the Science & Nature. At a $3200 retail price this is more of a relative rating as I consider these higher end Montegrappa's direct competitors to an Oscarson or Perchin. Its hard to justify any pen at these retail price's but it is a pretty good value compared to an Oscarson that retails for about 5k. I do like this pen and the others in this set better than what Oscarson and Perchin offer. Its a heavy pen but not nearly as heavy as a Perchin or Oscarson, plus its piston filled and the Perchin's and Oscarson's are not. IMO pens at these levels should be piston filled. My advice would be to try and get one of these used or discounted. I will say that if you fell like indulging yourself its well worth it.

Overall: 9.25/10

Its hard to give any pen a perfect score, I haven't seen a perfect one yet but this one is close as well. A cleaner looking design within the body of the pen plus the high price, makes this pen a little less than perfect for me but other than that I highly recommend it! Here's another group shot of all three.

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed the review.

Tony

Sponsored Content

#2 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:57

Who would have thought that one could put so much art on the body of a pen?

Artisticly I would have to say it's juicy!

Thank-you a great review and great pictures.

Inked

#3 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:08

thanks tony, for the review of the second pen also. they seem to have done a lot of work on the pen. the third pen looks simple but elegant and let me see what you will say for it. could you kindly add a little more background info. on this line of pens in your next review?

tks.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#4 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:08

Who would have thought that one could put so much art on the body of a pen?

Artisticly I would have to say it's juicy!

Thank-you a great review and great pictures.

Inked

That is a good point, lots of art was cramed into the body of this pen which is pretty amazing.

Tony

#5 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:14

thanks tony, for the review of the second pen also. they seem to have done a lot of work on the pen. the third pen looks simple but elegant and let me see what you will say for it. could you kindly add a little more background info. on this line of pens in your next review?

tks.

krishna.

Unfortunately I don't have anymore background info on these pens other than they are a tribute to mankind. Have you tried a google search yet? That's what I do when I'm looking for more info on something.

Tony

#6 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 23:10

Nice review. Lots of info about the details on the design. I agree that this is not a pen for everyone, but that its competitors do include Oscarson and M. Perchin, and MB Patrons. One thing about the design on the barrel that might help would be to consider that it represents an explosion of art and accomplishment that is thematic to its name...something that perhaps a more understated design could not do. I do however like the nib. It is quite a good design that has great balance between the colors of gold and silver, and Montegrappa's emblem. Thanks.

#7 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 22:04

Nice review. Lots of info about the details on the design. I agree that this is not a pen for everyone, but that its competitors do include Oscarson and M. Perchin, and MB Patrons. One thing about the design on the barrel that might help would be to consider that it represents an explosion of art and accomplishment that is thematic to its name...something that perhaps a more understated design could not do. I do however like the nib. It is quite a good design that has great balance between the colors of gold and silver, and Montegrappa's emblem. Thanks.

Thats a good way to put it. I never thought of the body of the pen in that regard, Thanks for the response.

Tony

#8 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 22:01

Here are links to the other two reviews if anyone's interested.

http://www.fountainp...-cosmos-enigma/

http://www.fountainp...nce-and-nature/

#9 EMM

EMM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 16:04

It looks like the clip would get caught on your shirt...

Otherwise its a fairly cool looking (albeit a little eccentric) pen, hope it serves you well : )

Edited by EMM, 17 August 2010 - 16:04.

New Mexico Pen Collector's Club / InkDrop Member since 8/23/2010

Sponsored Content

|