How rugged are pre-WW II pens?

Arnav

I have a Parker Vaccumatic from the 30's. I'm not sure whatits made of, but after getting it resacced it's almost as ggod as new. The material looks a bit thinner than itwas, and I wouldn't like to step on it as I suspect it would crack quite easily, but its robusst enouhg to be used for writing.

Vacs are celluloid. I saw what was probably a Golden Pearl Maxima in an antiques mall that was going out of business a couple of years ago, and the booth that had it had it -- as well as all the other pens in the case -- labeled as being made of Bakelite! (I think not....)

If I had had the cash on me, I might have been able to get the guy to come down on the price a bit -- even though it was a bit too large a pen for me (I prefer the Majors and Juniors).

I only have a few pens that go back to the 1930s, but I love my Red Shadow Wave Vac. Don't care that the Shadow Waves weren't consider top of the line pens like the Pearls. And I have a couple of Morrison ringtops which I believe might be BHR under that GF overlay. The Parkette is also in pretty decent shape (it's now retrofitted with an English music nib and feed, harvested from a no-name lever filler).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: The only pen that I have from the 1920s is a 1926 Duofold Lucky Curve ringtop. It needs repairs, because it's very fragile, especially the cap.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnav

• chris burton

• Bo Bo Olson

• fb1949

:doh: Forgot Vac's were pre-WW2, Have a '36 Canadian factory BB on a '38-39 Vac...seems to be fine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

lot of good advice from these guys, above .......... but am a little worried about your comment re the "bangs and drops of occasional regular, heavy use" - although not sure how often you drop them! - so here is some more good advice.......

I'd suggest that when writing you make sure you position yourself directly over some very expensive and thick piled carpet - some of the Chinese heavy duty embossed examples should ensure that your pen remains in one piece after hitting the carpet........

Of course, a pen loaded with ink, and hitting an expensive carpet might mean that it's more costly to replace the carpet than the pen.

It may be a bonus for collectors as opposed to writers, but don't recall having dropped a pen, yet......... parts, yes - especially small parts - and have broken pens whilst supposedly repairing them.

Try being careful when holding said items, so they stay in your hand, and don't write on those days you might have the d.ts. :lticaptd:

I have a queer old Reform: it's got a ringtop AND a serpent clip, and the very long cap is made of alternating bands of black and marbled celluloid, separated by brass rings.

I put an old flexy Bock nib in it and it seems quite a little beast. The shape is reminiscent of what seem to have been called "officers' pens" in the period. It's like Dietrich: a girly pen in a masculine shape.

Perhaps I'll wear it to my next "free speech" rally.

Matador pens are excellent as well, still now, very resistant, top quality material, hard rubber or celluloid when it has not turned too brittle or does not have shrinked too much, from third to first tier, all very well made excellent nibs. The 998 with its giant nib is just impressive, look and writing capabilities

One more is Rex.

I have had several of each maque I have mentioned and they all are so much better made than most French pens of the period, pre-war until the 50ies. Even the rather cheap ones, often no names, were fantastic, with excellent flexy nibs, even in steel alloy, not only the gold ones. I love these old German Füllhalter. When you dismantel one to clean it and change the piston cork seal if needed, you see the extra quality and thickness of the material used. That's why they resist time.

Ecellent post, PaulS ! I laughed out pretty loud ! I so much like British sens of humour. Long life to the high piled carpet ! ... and to our fetish pens tooooo !

I collect Parker fountain pens. Duofolds and Vacumatics are pre-war, and fairly plentiful. Lever-fill Esterbrooks, too. I suspect the same could be said for Pelikans and Montblancs. However, I don't mean to imply that an particular fountain pen can survive the rigors of war. My experience with 500 kilogram bombs is that one will break your fountain pen, your eyeglasses, your house, and your armored vehicle.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !