The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ohto F-spirit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Murfie

Murfie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:05

OHTO F-Spirit

Continuing with my revues of lower cost fountain pens, the subject of this revue is from a lesser known Japanese pen manufacturer OHTO. Users of modern fountain pens are blessed with a plethora of choices of low cost, high performing, attractive writing instruments. My first experience with an OHTO FP was when I purchased three Tashe FPs from Cult Pens (UK), some time ago. One was given to an FPN colleague, one kept constantly inked and the third is sitting in its box in the cupboard awaiting an assignment. The Tashe (reviewed on FPN by others) is a remarkable pen for its low price, continuing on the the pocket pen style popular with the "big three" Japanese makers in the 70's.

This experience tempted me to purchase another of OHTO's pens, the F-Spirit. I'm assuming the F is the abbreviation for "Free" as in "free spirit" but obviously you couldn't use the whole word "free" for fear of customers demanding one for that amount. The F-Spirit shares some similarities with the Tashe but differs completely in style, shape and filling system. But like the Tashe, it also represents excellent value for money.

Appearance & Design (8.5/10)

[attachment=74224:p1.jpg]

The design is that of contemporary simplicity, the cap and body being a rich sheen of black, broken only by a stylish metal clip and single metal band on the end of the cap. The hardware comes optionally in silver or gold finish. The OHTO logo, name and pen model appear tastefully on the cap in small white letters without being obtrusive to the eye. The base of the clip is attached directly into the cap giving a clean modern appearance. The attachment is very solid and implies heavy pen use would not lead to any diminishment of the clip's function.

Construction & Quality (8/10)

[attachment=74229:p6.jpg]
In the above photo, the F-Spirit is shown alongside an Pelikan M205 demonstrator.

[attachment=74228:p5.jpg]

The pen appears well constructed, combining metal and plastic componentry. It feels solid and of good quality in the hand. However, there is one major flaw that really bugs me personally. It involves screw cap versus a clip cap. My personal preference is for a screw cap of not more than 1 1/2 rotations to undo. Most screw cap pens fail that test. For a clip cap, a pen has to meet the standard set by the Pilot Prera - which in my humble opinion has THE best clip cap fit I have experienced. The F-Spirit has a clip cap that seems to have two parts to it. There is the join at the base of the cap (which slides over the metal ring at the barrel opening) and there is also an inner metal sleeve in the cap that hosts the nib and nib feed collar. It is the latter that seems to contribute to the need for excessive force to remove the cap. The force needed to cap the pen is minimal and quite acceptable.

The cap posts easily, firmly and stays in place. Very little force is needed to remove it.

Weight & Dimensions (9/10)

Total weight (inked) 21 gms
Cap 8 gms

Lengths: Capped 5 9/16" (141 mm) Posted 6 1/16" (154 mm) Unposted 4 1/2" (122 mm)

The pen is long enough to be used both posted and unposted. Posting the cap doesn't unbalance the pen, but purely provides a second centre of gravity to suit personal taste. The grip is comfortable and positioned at an optimal distance from the tip of the nib.

[attachment=74225:p2.jpg]

Nib Performance (8/10)

[attachment=74226:p3.jpg]

OHTO uses German Schmidt iridium pointed nibs. Both the F-Spirit and the Tashe come in one nib gauge which could be described as a European Fine consistent with the source of manufacture. It is slightly wider than a Pilot/Sailor medium nib. The nib is neither too wet nor too dry and from my experience with both models, does react to different inks. So it's worth trying more than one ink to extract the best performance. When new, the nib and filling system need a good flushing to avoid any initial skipping but once initialised, it provides a smooth flow, albeit suffering from occasional ink dropouts at the start of a quick downstroke. For an iridium tipped nib, it is as smooth as it gets, with no bite on the paper. There is the barest of flex in the nib but feedback to the fingers is that of pleasant firmness.
[attachment=74230:p7.jpg]

Filling System (9/10)

[attachment=74227:p4.jpg]

The F-Spirit takes universal cartridges or a compatible converter. I purchased mine with an OHTO branded converter that has a larger ink capacity than most equivalents. Operation of the converter is functional. The press fit of the converter into the nib feed is secure and firm.

Cost/Value (9.5/10)

The F-Spirit (like the Tashe) is available from Jetpens.com in the U.S. for USD $15. The Tashe is sold in the U.K. by Cult Pens (cultpens.com) but there is no sign of the F-Spirit on their web site. For U.K. FPN members an email to Cult Pens might be positive as their customer support is very good. At such a low cost this pen has a very high cost/value ratio.

Conclusion (52.0/6 = 8.7)

Worthy of consideration if you are looking for a good, everyday, workhorse pen that would suit students and consultants on the go. If you did happen to lose or misplace one then there wouldn't be any financial dramas. Unlike the Pilot Prera - which doesn't come in black - the F-Spirit only comes in black. I can't help but ponder that a nice purple or crimson red option would do wonders for sales

Sponsored Content

#2 SidandNancy

SidandNancy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:59

Great review murfie! :thumbup:

Unlike the Pilot Prera - which doesn't come in black - the F-Spirit only comes in black. I can't help but ponder that a nice purple or crimson red option would do wonders for sales

Yes, if it came in purple I'd be buying one!!

#3 DAYoung

DAYoung

philosopher/author

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:13

Once again, Murfie, a great review. Sounds like a great workhorse, though the ball on the clip bothers me. Sad, I know.
Damon Young
philosopher & author
OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

Posted Image

#4 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:07

Thanks for the review of this cool pen. I'm beginning to like cheaper pens more and more.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#5 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:04

Curses, I was hoping this pen would stay under everyone's radar!

I have 3 of 'em, and really like 'em, especially for their (to me) Zen-like appearance. The review doesn't mention what I consider to be one of the pen's best features: the section is metal with metal threads, and I believe the threads inside the barrel are metal, too. Nice bulletproof design feature.

ekfh5f.jpg

#6 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:49

thx for the review, murfie! how do you know it has a schmidt nib? it only reads IPG... i'm curious.

#7 Murfie

Murfie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 00:13

thx for the review, murfie! how do you know it has a schmidt nib? it only reads IPG... i'm curious.

I got this information from the Cult Pens website (cultpens.com) in their section on OHTO pens.

#8 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 854 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36

looks good! I might need to pick up a couple!

#9 Murfie

Murfie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:56

looks good! I might need to pick up a couple!

I'm glad the review has been useful.

#10 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:10

I got this information from the Cult Pens website (cultpens.com) in their section on OHTO pens.

thx!

#11 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:14

I got mine from jet pens. It's just sitting in a cup... not getting any love...

Not one of my favs.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#12 cubic archon

cubic archon

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2010 - 19:18

I am devoted to my Tasche, and if OHTO are making a full-size pen with the same nib and general quality as well as being able to fit a convertor, you can count me in.

Oh wait, you can't because I'm in the UK :( Maybe I will drop cultpens a line as you suggest.

Sponsored Content

|