How Long Will An International Order Sit In Us Customs?

AtomicLeo

Hello --

I won an Ebay auction from engeika. He promptly sent my pen and also sent me tracking information. It's not one of the standard US companies (UPS, DHL or FedEx) Looks like he used the Japanese equivalent to the U.S. Post Office. According their site my pen has been sitting in US Customs in L.A. since Friday. I have two questions how long will my pen sit in customs and will I be charged a fee?

Atomic Leo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AtomicLeo

• fermopagus

• rwilsonedn

• elysee

If you're using the USPS website to track, I can relay my recent experience...they did not update the USPS website after posting that my pen it Santa Clarita, CA until AFTER they'd failed to deliver it five days later. I spent the entire time thinking that it was odd...then the pen showed up and I was away enjoying a brewer's festival...

I DID get my pen, though.

I have found, in general, that the package arrives 1 - 3 days after the tracking information is available on the USPS web site.

I, too, am currently waiting for an international order, and, today, my package is listed on the USPS web site with "Your item arrived in the United States in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 11:39 PM on July 23, 2010." and the always present "Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later." So, my package may be available for pick up tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday.

I keep a USPS tracking window open with the tracking number in place ready for checking the status. When I am tracking an international package, I start by watching the country's web site for information such as " The item was scanned in the inward office of exchange." and then transition to the USPS site to watch for "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" or similar comments that the originating country has sent notification that the item is going to be shipped, and then, finally, I monitor the USPS site alone, watching for information about the package's arrival in the US and then its transport to or arrival at my Post Office.

Don't know about the fee--I've never been charged for one. But I received a pen today--27 July--that entered the USA on 20 June. That's just over three weeks.

ron

Hello --

I won an Ebay auction from engeika. He promptly sent my pen and also sent me tracking information. It's not one of the standard US companies (UPS, DHL or FedEx) Looks like he used the Japanese equivalent to the U.S. Post Office. According their site my pen has been sitting in US Customs in L.A. since Friday. I have two questions how long will my pen sit in customs and will I be charged a fee?

I had one shipped to me from Tay via EMS or DHL a few years ago that sat in customs in LA for about 10 days, real bummer.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem-- but shipped from Europe.

This is a real bummer. Pen was sent registered on 8/2 from Germany, arrived in New York ISC on 8/6, and now I am still waiting. I hope it doesn't get misplaced. Bugger...<sigh>

Detailed Results:

● Inbound International Arrival, August 06, 2010, 9:56 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

● Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Mine sat in customs then appeared at the door without an update to the tracking information. In fact, my local post office *almost* sent the package back because it required a signature and I was not at home the first time they tried to deliver.

Atomic Leo

Mine sat in customs then appeared at the door without an update to the tracking information. In fact, my local post office *almost* sent the package back because it required a signature and I was not at home the first time they tried to deliver.

It's not at all uncommon for packages to arrive - from anywhere - before the tracking online gets updated. You'll get used to it.

I've bought many pens from engeika and never had a pen stay in Customs. Must be an expensive pen...did he send it EMS?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

i am waiting for a package sent via EMS. is that tracked on the USPS website (i have a tracking number)? thank you.

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

i am waiting for a package sent via EMS. is that tracked on the USPS website (i have a tracking number)? thank you.

just answered my own question... EMS is tracked on USPS :thumbup:

Edited by fermopagus

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

I get frustrated with USPS tracking. I have had packages from Amazon where USPS had no record of the package until after it had been delivered, but Amazon did, including each sorting facility and when it was out for delivery.

I have that right now with a T-shirt order. Seller has updated tracking info for a sort facility, USPS still says shipping info received.

Edited by raigne

It's not at all uncommon for packages to arrive - from anywhere - before the tracking online gets updated. You'll get used to it.

Strang is spot on. If track & trace shows that it's in the US, then it usually takes about a week. No tracking update just means it wasn't scanned recently, although it's often still moving through the system.

I have the same problem : I am expecting a watch (seiko premier) from the US.

The tracking says it be blocked in (french) customs fro over a week, and I have no

way of knowing when it is going to arrive !

How annoying :bonk:

• 1 year later...

Hello --

I gather that US Customs may take a while but usually don't charge.

UK Customs are quite quick but usually do charge.

I know which I'd prefer!! :(

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Hello --

I gather that US Customs may take a while but usually don't charge.

UK Customs are quite quick but usually do charge.

I know which I'd prefer!! :(

Me too. US people there are always some people worse off than you. :mellow:

Just imagine if you had to pay 20% tax plus 5% duty plus $30 extra delivery fee after you had waited for an extra week or so

I have been ordering items from Asia for years and I have never been able to figure out when or if US Customs or the Treasury will get involved.

I can receive a 100 packages that took less the a week to get here and with no Customs fees.

And then, boom. Surprise, you owe us a zillion dollars.

Calling them is a waste of time, they answer from a script, and are not above making threats.

Now I just put in my orders and if I don't here from them I consider myself lucky.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg