The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Custom Danitrio Octagon Pens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 21:39

I've had these pens not quite a year now, and a review of some kind is certainly overdue. It was speculated that I might not ever ink these pens, but I have, and I enjoy using them very much. For the pure joy of writing, these and my other Danitrio pens are my very best.

I wrote an initial account of my pens here in the Rising Sun forum. This also includes Kevin's much better photography of the pens. If you wish to see my handwritten version of the text to follow here, scroll down and you'll also get a glimpse of my less than stellar photography and scanning skills.

I am using Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Aquamarine contract inks in these, my custom Danitrio octagon Larkspur and Ladybird pens. I ordered them through Kevin Cheng (our FPN winedoc) early last year. I'd asked for two pens, one with a tami-midori finish and one with tami-nuri. I asked for larkspur blossoms and ladybirds to be in the design, but I left the overall design to the artist's discretion, and I was not disappointed. Their appearance is absolutely stunning, the finishes deep and smooth, and the artist's maki-e work is beautiful and impeccable.
Appearance - 10/10

The sections of the pens are large, comfortable, and are perfect for my grip and writing style. The nibs are pieces of art in themselves. Both nibs are a medium "flexy." As you can see here, different inks will flow differently. This line is fairly broad to my eyes, but I also tend to use a little more pressure with my pens than I should, still. Both nibs are very smooth, and writing on the fine laid paper in my journals with these pens is completely effortless and enjoyable.
Nib - 9/10

Both pens use converters for a filling system, which I actually prefer here. These pens are not my everyday writers, and I do not wish them to have a belly full of ink for days or weeks on end. The converters are just right.
Filling/functionality - 10/10

Value? They are custom pens with artwork that has particular meaning for me. They were worth every cent I paid. They were not inexpensive. Could I have better used the money elsewhere? Yes. Would I have been as satisfied with my spending? No.
Value - priceless to me

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

Sponsored Content

#2 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 22:22

That is a beautiful pen !!

#3 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2010 - 00:02

Gorgeous pens! I'll bet they're expensive but worth every penny. I'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment out of those!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#4 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:05

the pens look good and pleasantly different from other models.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#5 redshifteffect

redshifteffect

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:39

The artwork is gorgeous.

#6 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 13:33

Thank you for sharing your custom Danitrios. I used to think My un-customized short octagon is one of my favorite pens. Had I discovered it earlier in my short tenure of fountain pen usage, I could easily have only Danitrios and be happy. I never thought I'd say this, but I can even see having something customized one day. I'm glad you are using those beautiful Octagons!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#7 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:09

What gorgeous pens those two are! I especially like the ladybug--no wonder you're very pleased and satisfied with these pens. I hope you enjoy them for many years to come. Congratulations!

#8 steersbylitning

steersbylitning

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 00:38

Both are gorgeous! Glad you are enjoying them.

Debbie

Sponsored Content

|