The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jinhao X750

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2010 - 13:08

It works perfectly with fountain pens! But in Full metal Jacket, if I remember correctly, the soldiers had to sleep with their rifle... this means that we should start sleeping with our FP! :D :D :D
[/quote]

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
It's bad enough having inky fingers... :(
... but I fear to think how to explain inky... no, I won't go there B)

But, thanks a bunch for the lovely little drawing. I noticed the groove did not go all the way to the end of the feed an wondered how the ink was going to squeeze its way into the right place, but now I have the courage to go at it with my old V-shape lino cutter blade.

Watch this space - I may be asking how to stop a gushing hosepipe of a pen.

Chris

Sponsored Content

#22 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2010 - 13:27

well, the breather tube is supposed to get ink to the feed channel that doesn't go all the way to the end of the feed, it just doesn't seem to do a very good job. so far, since doing this to mine, even after sitting all night, or even sitting uncapped for several minutes, it starts right up and hasn't skipped since...

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#23 Jwolf24601

Jwolf24601

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2010 - 16:36

I just did this modification on my Baoer 517 (which is a Jinhao brand) and it solved all my skipping problems too. Removing the tube helped a little but the slot made a huge difference!
Joshua

Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery: "I neither drink nor smoke and am a hundred percent fit"
Winston Churchill: "I drink and smoke and I am two hundred percent fit."

#24 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2010 - 16:41

yay!! glad i could be of service in offering some help! glad your pen writes better too!!

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#25 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:24

I just got my X750 last week and strangely, mine did not seem to have the breather tube. :hmm1: I've experienced no skipping, it writes wet--in fact a bit too wet for my liking. Otherwise, the nib is smooooth and the lighter weight of the pen (compared to my other Chinese pens) was a pleasant surprise.

Edited by cocojj, 10 November 2010 - 01:29.

#26 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:12

cool! maybe they've improved the design!

#27 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:12

Maybe they saw your mod and took action!

:ltcapd:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#28 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 13:07

Maybe they saw your mod and took action!

:ltcapd:

I have to admit it the thought crossed my mind--"Hmm...maybe the seller lurks in FPN and saw watch_art's sketches!" :roflmho:

The nib is too fat and wet to be usable for me, fortunately it seems to write a very nice, smooth line upside down. :vbg:

Edited by cocojj, 10 November 2010 - 13:38.

#29 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:33

Thank you so much, watch_art, for telling us that. I have a Jinhao that I love but it will write wet and juicy for about 3/4 of a page and then it stops writing at all. The ink just does not get down there. I took it apart and noticed that the channel down the middle of the feed was awfully small and I suspected that the nib was pulling too much ink out while it was writing for the channel in the feed to keep up. So I am going to enlarge the channel and see if that will make a difference.

I have tried a number of other things including dismantling the nib and feed and cleaning everything to Clean Room Clean and that helps a bit but eventually it stops.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#30 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:13

Ok, I'll bite: how do you get the feed and nib out on one of these things?

I've got a Jinhao "Libai" pen that I like well enough, but it very much dries out and won't start without a good bit of fuss. When it is writing, I enjoy it, and would like to dedicate it to one particular ink, but I'm thinking about modding the channel as you have. Could you give a brief explanation on how you go about removing the feed/nib? And replacing?

BTW: Have you ever owned a pen you didn't take apart and tweak?
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#31 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:17

I just got one of these and it chokes up. I love the way it looks and would like it to write. Will try cutting down the feed. Would a razor blade work?

#32 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:49

I took a paper towel and wrapped that around the nib and feed, then took a pair of pliers and pulled it out by only applying enough pressure to just grasp the pen and toweling and using brute force. As soon as I got some action and thought I could use just my fingers to twist and pull out I got rid of the pliers. I did this multiple times and did not hurt the nib.

There is an inner collar that goes around the feed and nib and an outer collar with a gold ring on it. FYI. The more you take out the nib and feed, the easier all this come apart.

Replacing is more delicate. Make sure that the nib is lined up properly with the nib, put into inner collar (or both inner and outer if they are still together). Push in only until the just friction fit. Stop. Take a look and make sure that they are lined up with the finger depressions on the outer collar like you want. Then push straight in as far as it will go.

#33 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• 2,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:18

Mine just arrived today. I have not inked it yet but the tines are perfectly aligned. I just had to align the feed with the nib. I may remove the air tube but I want to try it before I do. I got the black and silver color pen. It is remarkably close to the Huashilai 3000.

#34 John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:50

I took a paper towel and wrapped that around the nib and feed, then took a pair of pliers and pulled it out by only applying enough pressure to just grasp the pen and toweling and using brute force. As soon as I got some action and thought I could use just my fingers to twist and pull out I got rid of the pliers. I did this multiple times and did not hurt the nib.

I had to resort to donning Mrs Monkey's marigolds to get enough of a grip on my Jinhao X450 (no need for pliers on mine though). Quite different to my Baoers, on which the nib and feed needed no special measures to maintain or improve my grip!

Anyway, inspired by this thread, I decided to have another bash at my problem pens.

On the Jinhao;
1) Left the tube in the feed.
2) Cleaned the feed, used a pin to (hopefully) remove any junk in the channel.

Still skipping slightly, but writes, at least, for the time being.

On the Baoer (I'd pretty much given up on this one completely, so was more cavalier with it);
1) The tube was junked long ago, in a fit of frustration, I'm sorry to say.
2) Cleaned the feed as above
3) Ran a craft knife down the feed channel.

This pen now writes with a pleasant, wet, fairly broad line - waiting to see if its drying & skipping problems return.

#35 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:52

So far, no problems with my Jinhaos.
IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#36 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 13:04

I would like to say that I tried to buy a V chisel like what watch_art had and failed. they only come in sets and they only come from places you have to drive a long time to get to. You can get them on line but again only as sets. So I decided to resort to a Dremel tool with a very small bit and see if I can make that channel wider. the X-Acto will jump the track and end up hacking what you don't want hacked and it's tough to get it to carve out a channel.

After all my previous fiddling I still cannot get that silly pen to continue to write, so I might as well learn and maybe cure it with the Dremel fix.

BTW, I have another Jinhao X450 which writes magnificently. I am sure I just got one with a crummy feed. The feeds do look different in the two pens, the good writing one's feed looks much more finished as if they perfected the mass production of feeds with it.

#37 John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 13:36

After all my previous fiddling I still cannot get that silly pen to continue to write, so I might as well learn and maybe cure it with the Dremel fix.

That's the point I got to with my Baoers - I seem to have been messing with them on and off for a year or so!

I'll hold a good thought for your extreme measures on the problem Jinhao :)

#38 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:13

Oh please don't buy those sets of carving knives! You can look on my website here:
http://coffeegrinder....com/notes.html

and scroll down a little to see where I have bought all my tools. You can get a really nice v-gouge for about $9.

And if you take a dremel to it PLEASE be careful! Those fingers are worth more than the feed.

#39 jonwat

jonwat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2011 - 20:31

Lovely pens - bought two of them!
Just don't drop it onto a concrete floor, as I did. Not only did the nib bend horribly, but the feed snapped off where it entered the section. Ouch! :crybaby:
On the plus side, I now have a spare converter and I can change the look of my remaining X750 by replacing the barrel and cap!
Definitely worth the money for these pens.

#40 Buzzie

Buzzie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:57

My new X750 model LJ76 "Star Spangled" arrived today. Background: I recently ran across a Jinhao 250 as I was cleaning out my desk's pen drawer. I had ignored it and considered it to be "junk". For some unknown reason, this time I dunked it into some ink. I was really surprised to discover that the nib was a very good writer. I continued to play with the 250 while becoming more intrigued. So, I browsed around until I found the X750 in a model that seemed to suit my taste. The whole shebang was a pen, a cowhide leather case, and delivered for $16.50, no tax. The X750 Med nib is 18k plated white gold and is Big - twice the size of the 250 nib. It lays a lotta line for a Medium. I experienced the hesitation and infrequent skip. I hit the FPN forum, and within minutes I became a living breathing expert! Following directions (not easy for me), I pulled the pin (solid pin, not a tube) from the feed; I located the channel and expanded it. Worked like a charm.

I want to express my appreciation for the excellent review (matched my own experience perfectly), the diagnosis, the fixes, and the multiplicity of input and comments from a host of others. Thanks to all for sharing.
Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

Sponsored Content

|