The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao X750

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 17:56

ordered this nearly a month ago from Australia and it came in yesterday.
very nice.

I was pretty optimistic when I hit the bid button on Australian ebay. If I won it would cost less than $10 USD shipped. Can't beat that with a stick. So I won. Yay!
Got it in the mail yesterday, shipped well, small cardboard box with foamy lining. Pen wrapped in plastic. Flushed it a bit before i inked it up. The converter works as well
(or not) as any other I've used. As good as a Lamy or Pilot twisty converter, honestly. It might not look as nice, but it works just as well. It is all metal, so fairly heavy, and
therefore not really the best pen to write kinda sideways with while laying in bed. Figured that one out all by myself.

Construction and Quality: VERY nice. CLicky cap, stiff spring, and the cap ring at the bottom is just wonderful to look at. I'm REALLY impressed with this thing. Cap clicks on very tightly with a nice loud CLIK, haven't had any dry out. Piston converter fits in VERY tightly, was really impressed with this part. There's really only two things that bug me about this: the threads where the barrel and section screw together are a bit loose. It tightens up just fine, but it's sorta cheapy feeling. And where the clip fits into the cap there is a little gap. If you bought the black pen, you wouldn't notice, probably. But it sorta sticks out. Not awful though.
The grip is sort of a matte plastic, and feels really nice. No slippery grip here even with sweaty fingers.

Appearance and Design: love the color, ivory I think, and love all the s/s trim. Very classy looking. I even like the clip. The pen is cigar shaped I guess, so not the most original thing on earth, but who cares.

Nib: Very thin metal so it gives you the impression that it has some spring, but I wouldn't push my luck. Out of the box it needed tine alignment, and I pushed up a tiny bit and it stayed put. So this is one to write lightly with to save you from bending the nib all-to-hell. Sort of a dry writer, maybe a 4 outta 10, but still nice. Slow writer. Skipped in scribbles. Then I took out the breather tube and it became a brand new amazing little pen. THe line is wetter, so wider, which is good b/c the ebay description said "bold nib", which it really wasn't. Now it's close to a fat medium I'd guess. Just slightly smaller than my old Pilot Custom (the doody brown one I traded off)...

Filling: piston converter. top notch for the price. Takes a good fill, too. Not the biggest, but good for a day or two of doodles and notes. It looks like it would take international carts, so you could probably even take some carts with you. But I'd be wary of putting the converter in and out for ruining the mating surfaces.

Price: under $10 usd. Very good. Could easily be a $20 or more pen.

Overall: awesome. would definitely recommend it to others. Just know you may want to take out the breather tube, and may NEED to adjust the nib. Didn't have to do any smoothing on this one. It was great right out of the box.

first a size comparo...
on my red and black spiral bound....
sorry for the blurry pic...
Parker 51, Lamy Safari, Pilot C742, Pelikan M200
Posted Image

the nib and feed
Posted Image

and the breather tube, which i took out and chunked. feels like good quality and works quite well.
when i pulled the nib and feed out (came out VERY easily just pinching) the breather tube stayed behind in the section. i used some skinny tweezers to
twist and pull it out. the pen was fairly dry, so i chunked the breather tube and put it back together and this thing writes MARVELOUSLY! couldn't believe it.

and the piston converter. actually, it fits into the section tighter than any other piston converter i've used. one of the best...
especially for this price range.
Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 21 December 2011 - 02:58.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 17:58

oh yeah, stupid unbalanced if posted. but it's big enough that i don't care. i usually don't post anyways...

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:07

my friend, EMM, uses Jinhao's and Regals almost exclusively and loves them.

good review!!

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:17

edit to add:
forgot to upload a pic disassembled...

The feed on this thing really impressed me. minus the breather tube of course. the material used seems top notch, comparable
to what i've seen from Pilot pens... or at least close. but WAAAAAAY better than anything i've seen from the hero or lanbitou pens...

Posted Image

and the line was too fine for such a huge tip, so i spent some time grinding and smoothing it back down...
much better!

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 20 July 2010 - 23:18.

#5 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:24

Excellent review! I have a couple of x750s that are also a little dry and I will take out the breather tubes and see what happens. Thanks for the recommendation!

These pens really DO punch above their weight class! I took one in to a meeting last week and the only thing people talked about afterwards was how sharp my pen looked!

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:42

since the regrind and tube removal, this has quickly become one of my favs.

#7 scrawlhand

scrawlhand

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:46

Hi folks!

I've been lurking here for a while, but now I felt it was time for my first post ;) .

I also bought an X750 recently, and it was too dry for my taste, so I pulled out the feed and widened the ink channel with an x-acto knife. It worked like a charm, and it's a fine writer now.
However, when I pulled out the feed, the breather tube came loose. I don't know extactly what it's for and I wonder if there's a correct orientation for it? I just stuck it in the lower half of the round channel in the feed until it fit quite snugly, and so far it seems to be working.

Appreciate your advice!

Greetings from Germany,
Steve

Edited by scrawlhand, 20 July 2010 - 23:46.

Have a nice day!

Steve

#8 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:54

yeah, you did it right. the tube on this pen seems pretty useless though. also, i didn't touch my channel since i took the tube out. doing both might make it a bit too wet.

and here's a quick sample for fun...
Posted Image

#9 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 15:51

Great review "watch_art"! May I ask: what is chunking the breather tube? Sorry for the dumb question, I should probably know this by now.Posted Image

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:42

:roflmho:

of course i should know better than to presume everybody will understand my slang!!

chunking means throwing it away. it should technically be chucking, but i like chunking better.

:P

#11 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:08

I have an X750 which writes nicely, but I honestly don't use it much. The primary reasons are that a. it's heavier than I prefer and b. it dries out quickly if left unused for a day or two.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#12 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:21

i've been working on the dry out problem... i've had to advance the converter a bit to feed it after it sits for a couple hours. i've tried something, and i'll see how it works in a few days, and if it works, i'll share it. as far as the weight goes, yes it is heavier, but that doesn't bother me like i thought it might. i just sort of guide it against the paper and don't really hold it, if that makes sense.

#13 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:27

:roflmho:

of course i should know better than to presume everybody will understand my slang!!

chunking means throwing it away. it should technically be chucking, but i like chunking better.

I see. Great, now you've got me starting to say chunking instead chucking.Posted Image

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#14 whiteOUT

whiteOUT

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 19:54

Great pen reviews... Make me wanna get one....

#15 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 13:20

Well, you live and learn. I didn't even know there was a breather tube! So, I'll try taking it out and see what that does to the ink flow because both my Jinhao pens seem to 'run dry' after half a page or so and opening them up to screw the converter is a pain. I've already washed with soap and cleaned the bits out of the feed.

Cheap pen to play/learn on I guess.

Chris

#16 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 14:59

this is a drawing of what i did. it seems to have helped a lot. i have a little ink left in my covnerter, and to really test
this i retracted the piston all the way out, so it wouldn't be pushing the ink up into the feed. i covered an entire 8x6 inch page
with scribbles and it didn't skip or dry out once. not big scribbles. tiny little scribbles. i got bored. and it did well.
so, the moral of the story is, if you like to fool with cheap pens, and like to modify your stuff, then this is the pen for you.

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 22 July 2010 - 15:00.

#17 OMASmaniac

OMASmaniac

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 15:01

Posted Image

:roflmho::roflmho::roflmho::roflmho::roflmho::roflmho:

#18 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 15:09

THANKS! glad somebody got the joke! i saw that on Jarhead and thought it would work well with fountain pens... :P

#19 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 16:23

Thanks for the review; I just received my X750 and I'll ink it up tomorrow. Should I encounter the same issues I'll try your (very well documented) modification.
My quill, it aches...

#20 OMASmaniac

OMASmaniac

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 18:33

THANKS! glad somebody got the joke! i saw that on Jarhead and thought it would work well with fountain pens... :P

it's actually from "Full Metal Jacket", and in Jarhead they're paying tribute to that WONDERFUL film ;)
It works perfectly with fountain pens! But in Full metal Jacket, if I remember correctly, the soldiers had to sleep with their rifle... this means that we should start sleeping with our FP! :D :D :D

Sponsored Content

|