Which pen to choose?

ednerdtheonly

Hey guys!

How would I best spend $50 on a pen? My dad asked to pick one out as a late birthday present to myself. He said that anything under $70 would be fine, but I'd be more comfortable with a cheaper pen, $20-$50, to use as a daily writer for notes and whatnot.

What specs would I like? Well, for one thing, I can't handle nails, however smooth they may be. To me, the perfect nib would be an OMAS, both responsive and buttery. I find Sheaffer Feathertouch nibs to be very comfortable to write with, as the bit of softness in these great nibs act as shock springs. Size-wise, a Pelikan M200 is just right, though larger pens are perfectly fine, and I prefer self fillers and screw-on caps versus cc fill and snap ons.

All this points towards a Pelikan M200, but I want to look around at other options. Sheaffer Pam has stainless steel Sonnets for $25, and the Expert II for $35 (albeit in green). I suppose that most of you have opinions on all three of these pens. I'm also considering old pens, and like the look of older Sheaffers with radite striping.

I'm still a newb with little experience, so any advice from you fountain pen sages would be appreciated. Thanks to you all. :)

Ed

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Stylo

• Maja

• ednerdtheonly

Hey Eddy!

You don't like nails...that's a problem! I was going to suggest a Parker 51, but that will no longer fit the bill.

I'm not sure exactly how flexible a Pelikan 200 nib is; in my hand, it's just as nail-like as a Parker 51, a Sheaffer Triumph, or an Esterbrook (non-flex) when writing . If I bear down on the nib, a Pelikan 200 will flex more than a nail. But, when writing, I have a very light touch, so I don't really feel that big of a difference between the Pelikan 200 nib and a nail. If I recall correctly, back when I was throwing pens at you, you write with a light touch as well. Have you written with a Pelikan 200 yet?

Modern Waterman's in general have a reputation for being extra-stiff. So an Expert II might not work. The Sonnets, at least the older ones, have a reputation for having very nice, soft nibs; but I read somewhere that the new nibs are significantly stiffer. The big problem with Sonnets seems to be quality control, but this is only what I've read. Antonios Z, if I recall correctly, has quite a collection of Sonnets and would be much more qualified to talk about those.

If you keep an eye out, you might be able to land a Lamy 2000, which, in my opinion, has a significantly softer nib than either a Pelikan 200 or a Namiki Vanishing Point--another pen also reputed to have a soft nib. When I write with my 2000, I can actually feel that softness you're talking about. You can find a 2000 for $90 new (I know, over-budget), but sometimes they'll show up on Pentrace's Green Board for around $70 or less. This is rare occurrence, and the pen usually gets snatched up in a matter of hours. A Vanishing Point, generally about $60 in lightly used condition (and much more readily available at that price, as it's only $70 new), is an awesome pen, as long as the clip doesn't bother you. The clickability feature is unbelievable. But the nib is similar to a Pelikan 200 in terms of softness.

If you go for a Sheaffer with stripes (they are very "handsome"--that's more "manly," right?--pens), make sure you don't get a Triumph nib, which is this really cool, conical nib but SUPER stiff. Sometimes you can find feathertouch nibs on these, I believe.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts; I'm in a rush because I've got to go get a bunch of homework done. I just thought that I'd throw a few pennies into the discussion before the night was over. Good luck in your search!

Edited by Daniel Shih

How would I best spend $50 on a pen? My dad asked to pick

What specs would I like? Well, for one thing, I can't handle nails, however smooth they may be. To me, the perfect nib would be an OMAS, both responsive and buttery. I find Sheaffer Feathertouch nibs to be very comfortable to write with, as the bit of softness in these great nibs act as shock springs. Size-wise, a Pelikan M200 is just right, though larger pens are perfectly fine, and I prefer self fillers and screw-on caps versus cc fill and snap ons.

hi, i'm a noob to fountain pens, and have recently shopped and bought several pens in the budget range.. sounds like u've tried all the pens u're thinking of, so i think ur experience will speak for itself.

for another option, check out the faber castell ambition fountain pen. if you like the look (i love the modern understated matte black), it writes _awesomely_ in my opinion, as good or better than the pelikan m200 and the waterman phileas medium. the ambition in fine is even better than the medium and is flexy, at least flexier than these others. only thing is, it's cartridge only, and snap-on. anyway just putting a good word in for my fav pen :P (i returned the phileas and never bought the pelikan; i think both the phileas and m200 look and feel plastic-cheap).

ian

Pelikans are great...I think you would enjoy the M200 model; the one I have has a nice smooth gold-plated steel nib and is a joy to write with. Hey, for $67 USD + shipping you can get a nice Pelikan M200 with a custom ground nib from Pendemonium ($52 for the pen + $15 for custom nib grinding) and their turnaround time is really good (~ 2 weeks). Check out their site to see what Pelikans they have left, and then click on "Italic Pens" on the "Writing Instruments" menu to see about nib grinding options...

Don't get me started on Parker Sonnets...Admittedly, mine has a springier nib than my Pelikan above, but I really regret paying so much for it. I foolishly bought it because the saleslady at the (brick & mortar) store downtown kept raving about the 18K NIB on it and how she thought the retail price for a pen with AN 18K NIB was so low She told me she thought that the salesman put the wrong retail price on it, so everyone at the store was buying one for themselves. I was new to fountain pens at the time, so I believed her when she said that writing with an 18K nib was much better than with a 14K pen or a gold-plated steel pen :angry: :rolleyes: Live and learn, I guess....

I have a Waterman Expert II and it's a nice writer, but the nib is quite stiff and doesn't provide the same great writing experience as my Pelikan M200 does.

Whatever you get, enjoy it in good health... and happy belated birthday, Ed! :)

I'd go with the Pelikan M200. Of all the less expensive pens, this one seem to be more of a "real" pen. Don't ask me to explain that, I don't know where it comes from. Plus, if you want to play with a different nib you can buy one from Richard at $35 each.

Elaine

All this points towards a Pelikan M200, but I want to look around at other options. Sheaffer Pam has stainless steel Sonnets for $25, and the Expert II for $35 (albeit in green).

I have both an M200 and an Expert II, and iIn terms of writing performance, the M200 is in a different league. If you like the way it feels in your hand, that's what I would recommend. The tranluscent ones can look stunning. I have the blue on. You jut have to be careful about not scratching the fragile finish though.

Thanks a lot guys!

I've really got it narrowed down to three pens: Lamy 2000 (durability, usability), Pelikan M200 (cheaper than the Lamy with classic good looks), or a Parker Sonnet (flexy, priced at a screaming $25 from Pam).

any specific comments on these three? Thanks.

ednerd

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Thanks a lot guys! 

I've really got it narrowed down to three pens:  Lamy 2000 (durability, usability), Pelikan M200 (cheaper than the Lamy with classic good looks), or a Parker Sonnet (flexy, priced at a screaming $25 from Pam).

any specific comments on these three?  Thanks.

ednerd

Excellent choices, ed! :) I love my M200 but would love to try a Lamy2000; I've heard they are great pens....

And a Sonnet for $25? :bonk: :bonk: (I paid a lot more for mine...A lot more....)

Hi Ed,

Yes, one very specific comment: don't go for the Parker Sonnet. I have one, and not only is it cheap, it also looks it, and the nib seems to be made of aluminium foil. Totally useless.

I would suggest you to go with the M200. Actually, for the price of the Lamy you can get 2 M200s, which is a classic pen indeed. Imagine that: 2 pens, 2 different nibs, for the price of one.... :D

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

And a Sonnet for $25? :bonk: :bonk: (I paid a lot more for mine...A lot more....)

Don't feel too bad, it is the stainless steel finish, which costs a lot less than other finishes, even from Pam Braun :)

I really like the M200s too. Another pen I would suggest at a lower price is the Waterman Hemisphere, awesome colours, and definately heavier than the M200 if you like the weight.

If I had $50 to play with right now, I would buy an M-200.

Sigh.

A blue one. With a medium nib.

If I had fifty more and some change, I would get a green one with a Medium Binder stub.

I'm easy to please.

Hi Rex,

I am a little intrigued by your post:

A blue one. With a medium nib.

If I had fifty more and some change, I would get a green one with a Medium Binder stub.

Do you mean you would get a blue and a green one, or a blue one in the one case, and a green one with Binder nib in the other?

TIA,

Kidn regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hey, Wim-

I would get them both. In a perfect world, I could get blue and green and gray, too. As it is, I am marking off days on the calendar until payday at the end of the month. I will probably just get the blue and a Binder nib to start with. That's the regular nib and a custom.

And a bottle of ink. :drool:

And maybe some new paper and envelopes.

Dreaming of payday...

Rex

Hi Rex,

Ok, got it now.

I was very fortunate in that I managed to earn a little extra money, got paid on Wednesday, and part of that went on another 2 pens on Friday, shopping night locally (shops open till 9 pm). So, immediately after work, straight to my fav B&M store, to deposit some of those funds over there... :D And got another bottle of ink, free with one of the pens :D.

Happy as a pig, again :D

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman