The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Burl Wood .85 Italic

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2010 - 19:35

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 FooWriter

FooWriter

Rarely Extreme

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 21:38

*sigh*

Beautiful... and a wonderful review, as well.
Posted Image

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

#3 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2010 - 21:57

*sigh*

Beautiful... and a wonderful review, as well.

Thank you my friend!

Edited by Bisquitlips, 17 July 2010 - 21:57.

#4 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 14:19

Excellent review and great pics - thanks!

I understand what you mean about the "plain-ness" of this pen, but I also think it's one of those pens that will develop a personal patina with age and use -- just like an oft-use pipe. It's one of those articles that will prove itself with longevity, durability and familiarity. And it has that YUMMY Nakaya nib hidden 'neath that plain cap!!

Enjoy!! HP

PS What ink did you use?
The sky IS falling. C. Little

#5 FooWriter

FooWriter

Rarely Extreme

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 15:47

I've been lusting after this pen for a while now - but in its light burl incarnation - and your review did nothing to alleviate the problem. My question to you is this: How do you go about choosing the right nib? I suppose I'm in the minority among FPN members, in that I have never spent more than $50 for a fountain pen - and to me, that felt like an extravagance. If I should manage to save up the $300+ for a Nakaya burl, I'd only have one shot at it. I can think of nothing worse than saving up for an expensive, beautiful pen, only to discover that I'd chosen an absolutely unsuitable nib for it.

So how did you know what nib you'd love to have on your Nakaya?

Edited by FooWriter, 18 July 2010 - 16:08.

Posted Image

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

#6 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 16:40

The best way is to go to a pen show at which John Mottishaw is available -- you can test the various Nakaya nibs since he is a Nakaya purveyor.

Barring that, you need to narrow your choices -- i.e., what is your preferred line thickness? Smooth or with feedback? Regular nib or italic/cursive italic/stub? Once you have some basic parameters such as these, read up and then communicate with John and other Nakaya owners. That should get you fairly far along the path to the right Nakaya nib.

Remember, though, that if you get a Nakaya nib that just doesn't work for you, the pens are generally pretty marketable - IMHO, more so than many other pens.

HP
The sky IS falling. C. Little

#7 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 19:30

I understand what you mean about the "plain-ness" of this pen, but I also think it's one of those pens that will develop a personal patina with age and use -- just like an oft-use pipe. It's one of those articles that will prove itself with longevity, durability and familiarity. And it has that YUMMY Nakaya nib hidden 'neath that plain cap!!

Enjoy!! HP

PS What ink did you use?

Ink is Waterman Blue / Black. Thanks!

#8 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 19:34

I've been lusting after this pen for a while now - but in its light burl incarnation - and your review did nothing to alleviate the problem. My question to you is this: How do you go about choosing the right nib? I suppose I'm in the minority among FPN members, in that I have never spent more than $50 for a fountain pen - and to me, that felt like an extravagance. If I should manage to save up the $300+ for a Nakaya burl, I'd only have one shot at it. I can think of nothing worse than saving up for an expensive, beautiful pen, only to discover that I'd chosen an absolutely unsuitable nib for it.

Mike,

I just know what I like and the italic nibs give me the pleasing line variations and ink shading that make writing so enjoyable.

Just discover your likes in a nib and pursue those characteristics and you can't go wrong. This Nakaya nib has to be the most pleasing I have used in a long time. I have pens that are much more expensive, but none more pleasing than this one.

Good luck on your quest!

Richard

#9 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 19:36

Enjoy!! HP

PS What ink did you use?

You are so right about the acquiring of patina over time. It was one of the primary reasons I went this direction. Just like nice leather will absorb hand oils and turn those great colors, I hope this pen does the same in a short time. :cloud9:

#10 Felix1

Felix1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 19:45

Nice review, thanks.

As I've found out, it's not possible to own just one Nakaya. Wonderful balance, superb workmanship and great nibs...whether factory stock or customized by John.

Once you get your first, you just keep going back for more. There's nothing negative about a Nakaya, IMO.
I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

#11 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 22:44

Nice review, thanks.

As I've found out, it's not possible to own just one Nakaya. Wonderful balance, superb workmanship and great nibs...whether factory stock or customized by John.

Once you get your first, you just keep going back for more. There's nothing negative about a Nakaya, IMO.

Yes! One pen and I am addicted! I have a couple more in my sites. The Tamenuri long writer in black / red being one of them. What a luscious color!

#12 ianmedium

ianmedium

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 23:55

Well done Richard, I know you have been wanting one for a long time, that nib is something else eh! I am really glad you got the matt finish pen, I can only imagine what it is going to look like in years to come with the hand oils.

You really have a very fine pen collection!

PS, I was shandy on the other forum just in case you did not know!

Edited by ianmedium, 18 July 2010 - 23:56.

All the best.
Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Incoming: Parker 51 Vac

#13 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2010 - 00:35

Well done Richard, I know you have been wanting one for a long time, that nib is something else eh! I am really glad you got the matt finish pen, I can only imagine what it is going to look like in years to come with the hand oils.

You really have a very fine pen collection!

PS, I was shandy on the other forum just in case you did not know!

Yes Ian! I certainly know who you are by your avatar. :ltcapd:

Thanks, and it was you that actually inspired me to get a Nakaya. The great review you did was key to my decision.

Hope you are well my friend and keep in touch!

Richard

#14 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2010 - 21:46

As with many items designed by a humble master, the perfection, simplicity and elegance speak volumes.

The simple, quite lines, have no axe to grind.

To many things try to leave their mark on every thing they come in contact with. Selfish. Vain.

Nakaya has shown us how to get along; how to contribute; how to succeed gracefully, quietly.

Your admiration and praise are the characteristic that set it apart.

Admirable.

Thank-you for sharing.

Inked

Edited by Inked, 19 July 2010 - 22:52.

#15 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 22:09

how wonderful :) great review.

if you want to give the pen to me, PM me and I'll give you my address :) :)

#16 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:36

how wonderful :) great review.

if you want to give the pen to me, PM me and I'll give you my address :) :)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It takes me years to find that one "satisfying" nib and you want me to give it away.... :headsmack:

:roflmho:

Edited by Bisquitlips, 20 July 2010 - 02:36.

#17 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:39

As with many items designed by a humble master, the perfection, simplicity and elegance speak volumes.

The simple, quite lines, have no axe to grind.

To many things try to leave their mark on every thing they come in contact with. Selfish. Vain.

Nakaya has shown us how to get along; how to contribute; how to succeed gracefully, quietly.

Your admiration and praise are the characteristic that set it apart.

Admirable.

Thank-you for sharing.

Inked

Well said and you did give me pause for thought here.

Nakaya has obviously omitted any overdressing in favor of their simplicity of design and that itself speaks more than any snow capped peak could.

I do admire the pen and for all the right reasons.

Thanks for the comments.

#18 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:03

Congratulations on your pen and thanks for the review of it.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#19 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 23:18

I was kind of clueless about Nakaya pens, but your review made me more curious. Wow! They sound amazing, and I hope you really enjoy yours for a long time to come :)
Tamara

#20 Reedie

Reedie

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:17

Wonderful review! I love your handwriting.

Ever since I learned about Nakaya FP's, I've been wanting one--and every time I read another review, I only want one more. :)

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

|