J. Herbin 1670 (rouge Hematite) Ink

dizzypen

For more info check my site. This review along with all my others can be found at The Dizzy Pen.

This ink is FANTASTIC! I wouldn't describe myself as a huge red ink fan. In fact, I only use red ink for grading and editing, but as soon as I had a chance to get this ink in a pen I knew I just had to have some. And honestly, it's a Limited Edition ink from one of my favorite ink makers. I wouldn't be an inkophile if I pass on purchasing this ink now would I? So, I went down to the local B&M store and purchased the last bottle they had in stock! Interesting story about that, but I'll save it for another time.

The Details:

• It's quite vibrant, but not unpleasantly so.
  • This ink is highly saturated. I normally don't note this type of thing, but this is an uncommon quality to find in a J. Herbin ink.
  • There is a good chance that you will damage the wax on the cap when you open the bottle, and upon opening it you will find a very small bottle opening. If you routinely use large pens be ready to decant this ink into a more suitable container.
  • No feathering or bleed through.
  • Excellent flow and lubrication. It's honestly some of the best I've ever experienced.
  • The drying time is glacial. It took at least 15 seconds to "dry" and remained smudgy even the next day! Lefties and those with sweaty hands beware. If you use super juicy wet writers on only slightly absorbent paper beware...
  • The shading is to die for.
  • It is not even remotely waterproof.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4771384486_830eb3e5a5.jpg

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzypen

• OPG4711

• GouletPens

• Basset

Great review Dizzy! One thing to mention is that J. Herbin is working to improve the wax on the cap so it won't crack apart like the first batch. This is part of the reason that it's been backordered for soooooo long. I'm told that we retailers are going to be getting more in mid-late July so hopefully the wait won't be too much longer!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I agree with everything you said in your review. This ink is very well-behaved, and beautiful, but it does take a while to dry. I use wet, broad+ nibs, though, and have not tried the ink in a finer nib. I bought a bottle from Goulet Pens before they ran out, and I've been using it regularly ever since. I am a big fan of Herbin inks and this one is no exception; I only wish that it would be made regularly available.

I was flipping through my ink journal last night, and I noticed a couple of lines written with Noodler's Cayenne and Herbin 1670 right next to one another (both notes were written with 1.1mm stub nibs). The colors were very nearly indistinguishable--both inks appeared to be brick red with slight brownish-orangeish undertones. So I suppose if someone is looking for a cheaper or more available alternative, Cayenne might merit consideration.

How accurate does this scan look to you, dizzypen? If the color is anywhere close to what I see on my monitor, I want it. :puddle:

--Lyssa

How accurate does this scan look to you, dizzypen? If the color is anywhere close to what I see on my monitor, I want it. :puddle:

Yes, you want it! The color is awesome. The problem is finding it though! I have more bottles coming in but I'm being limited to what I can carry....it's a shame though, I know I could sell as many as they could give me, not just because it's 'limited edition' (which is obviously, truly is!), but because it's just a great ink (though the neck size is quite small!).

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Yes, you want it! The color is awesome. The problem is finding it though! I have more bottles coming in but I'm being limited to what I can carry....it's a shame though, I know I could sell as many as they could give me, not just because it's 'limited edition' (which is obviously, truly is!), but because it's just a great ink (though the neck size is quite small!).

Click on the picture and view the largest size. That is what the ink looks like on my color corrected Macbook. The color is somewhere between a red-orange and a blood red.

Trust me, you want this ink. You just have to find it. :unsure:

Trust me, you want this ink. You just have to find it. :unsure:

I do have an 'email me when back in stock' link on my website so you'll get an email when I get it in. I've been out of it for 2 months...I'm expecting it in by the end of the month, though I have no definite ETA. I'm going to be limited in the stock and I currently have more people on the email list than i will be getting bottles in, so you'll have to act FAST if you want to get it. I suspect I'll sell out within 24 hours of listing it on my site. The first two shipments I had sold out in about 36 hours and they were smaller shipments, but this go around people know about the ink and want it more, and it's also been a while since anyone has had it in stock. On top of it all, J. Herbin basically shuts down for 6 weeks in the summer so I'm guessing it'll be a while after this round of bottles that it'll be available again. This ink is truly 'limited'!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This ink is getting hard to find now. I eventually found (and ordered) a bottle but most online sites are sold out.

If you are considering getting this ink, I would urge you to do so sooner rather than later. Bon chance!

- OPG4711

I bought 2 bottles from 2 different sources within the last month or 2 and both no longer have waxed caps. Although a faint look at the cap does look like it has a very thin coating of wax, it is in fact a waxy, rubbery plastic coating. Uncrackable, unscratchable. Great ink! The only single thing I don't love about it is the bottle neck. It has an inside diameter of 12.7 mm which is exactly the same diameter as the bottom ring on an M1000's section. All 30 "usual" Herbin inks and all 5 scented inks come in bottles with much wider neck inside diameters.

Whew

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad someone (thanks WRob!) pointed me to this review -- I just signed up for the 'email me when back in stock' link on Goulet's site; looking forward to trying out a new red! :happyberet:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

There seems to be a shorthage of it.

I ordered a bottle from Art Brown about 3 weeks ago because their website said it was in stock. My card was charged immediately and after 2 weeks without anything showing up, I logged in to see it was still Uncompleted. I called them and they explained that they were HOPING a shipment would arrive next week and they'd begin shipping it out the following week. And being that I'm on the other coast, that means 1 week for UPS Ground.

Bottom Line: If a place says they have it in stock, CALL FIRST! I've got another month or so to wait for this glorious ink.

- OPG4711

FYI, at the DC Supershow, I bought a bottle from Pendemonium (no affiliation, etc. satisfied customer) and these guys included what I would call version 2.0 of the cap. So got the original bottle of J. Herbin 1670 + replacement cap. Check with them to see if they anymore in stock.

It is a very nice looking ink. You are right about the version 1 cap where the wax seems more like plaster and cracks all apart. It is a classic to have in your collection though--and from a great ink company.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I bought this ink a while ago, and have it in 1 half of my '51 desk set. I was flipping through my ink notebook (Rhodia) the other day, when I came across some annotation written in 1671. We're talking weeks, now. I ran my finger across it: the ink smudged. I ran a tissue across (with friction), and it smudged.

Strange, though, is that it doesn't look like it smears, the way wet ink does, but more like a powdery smudge. Thoughts?

I bought this ink a while ago, and have it in 1 half of my '51 desk set. I was flipping through my ink notebook (Rhodia) the other day, when I came across some annotation written in 1671. We're talking weeks, now. I ran my finger across it: the ink smudged. I ran a tissue across (with friction), and it smudged.

Strange, though, is that it doesn't look like it smears, the way wet ink does, but more like a powdery smudge. Thoughts?

I have the same experiences. 1670 is a SERIOUSLY smudgy ink! I might try diluting it a bit with water to see if that makes a difference. :hmm1:

The FedEx Ground truck just stopped and delivered my bottle of Herbin 1670. If your order has been on backorder, you'll probably be receiving it soon!

The wax on the cap is now rather soft, not brittle. But it lacks a string or some other sort of buried Pull tape to break the seal. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to open it? It looks like it might just twist off but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

- OPG4711

I'm going to answer my own question since even Art Brown didn't know... :eureka:

The new batch Herbin 1670 [1670 v2.0] simply unscrews. They used only enough wax to cover the cap; the wax does NOT seal it to the glass! No chipping away or cutting needed. Just unscrew it and use! That being said, that opening sure is small.

- OPG4711