The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Namiki Capless Vanishing Point In Sesenta Brown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 untrueparadox

untrueparadox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 00:56

I was always curious about the Sesenta colors as there's currently no reviews here about this pen. Well, that's about to change. I picked up a Sesenta from a Japanese seller for a decent price and I thought it might beat my Raden VP in terms of looks and also price.

The seller shipped it to me via EMS and I had to pick it up at the post office because it required a signature. I have no problem with that but that was the first time I realized there's something dramatically different from the American version of the Raden VP..

Unlike the American version of the Raden (Namiki branded instead of Pilot), the box was plain and simple. Black cardboard with foam padding. My first impression was wow, did I buy the wrong pen? Is this a fake?

After I got on FPN and searched for some photos of the capless Japanese series, I calmed down a bit and started realizing the beauty of this pen. The brown glows in the light, and unlike the Raden shimmer, this Sesenta looks mellow.

I have not tried writing with the pen but the weight seems to be a bit too light for me. I don't think I'll see myself using this pen too much because of the limited edition and the light weight so it's probably gonna go to a better home soon.

Since this is a Vanishing Point, I have to point out that it's not 100% like a Vanishing Point. It will not have the textured feel of the carbonesque types, nor will it be as heavy. I would estimate that the pen is probably 25% lighter than my Raden and Silver ones, perfect for those who complain that the VP is too heavy after a long day of writing. Also, take a look at the pictures of the Raden and Sesenta comparison. The Sesenta is slightly thinner as a whole, the clip does not have as much curvature and doesn't stick out as much when writing. The one of the two rings is much smaller making the middle look slightly uneven. The nib unit is of course interchangable, but for some reason this Sesenta came with a placeholder cartridge instead of a con-50, and only includes one black cartridge on the package.

Without further adieu, here's the pictures:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by untrueparadox, 13 July 2010 - 06:30.

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:13

that's a lovely pen. good luck with your sale.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 dgator

dgator

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:38

Great looking pen ! Thanks for sharing pics. The VP is on my short list.

#4 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:51

I believe the Sesenta is from the Decimo range, hence the slimness and lower profile clip. Thanks for the review!

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#5 untrueparadox

untrueparadox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:32

i threw in a few more pictures to compare the box. for a limited edition pen, i feel pilot really skimped on the packaging for this compared to the other limited VPs.

#6 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 15:16

great review, and sorry the pen didn't work out for you.

and i agree with you about the weight. i've never understood it when people say that the VP is too heavy, it's SO light!

then again, i was a gymnast (rings and parallel bars), so maybe i have stronger wrist/carpal muscles :)

#7 Bruno_Taut

Bruno_Taut

Searching, searching...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:37

The Sesenta and the Decimo are --save the decoration-- the same pen.

In the Japanese market, Capless pens do not come with any converter but with a sort of an empty cartridge covered by a metal sheath. And, of course, the "service cartridge". It is up to you to purchase either the CON-20 or the CON-50--both fit, and the former works a lot better.

Cheers,

Iosepus
Bruno_Taut

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno_Taut or Iosepus

Crónicas Estilográficas: http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/

#8 ImNotSam

ImNotSam

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 13:47

I have this exact pen.

It was actually the second new pen I bought after discovering this forum. Good start off for a n00b, eh?

I write with every pen I buy ... I'm just too old to put limited editions or collectible editions aside for "later." :roflmho:

This one gets dragged around with me a lot (and I did subsequently purchase a "regular" VP in black carbonesque with a medium nib). Because it's a flavor of Decimo, it's slimmer and lighter. I find it very pleasurable to write with, and more importantly (at least for me) I can grab it, click it, write, and then retract the nib - perfect for times when I'm out of the house or office and I need to take sporadic notes over a long period of time.

It's also good that I don't have to keep up with the cap. My mother always exclaimed that I'd lose my head if it weren't attached to my body... :rolleyes:

I was always curious about the Sesenta colors as there's currently no reviews here about this pen. Well, that's about to change. I picked up a Sesenta from a Japanese seller for a decent price and I thought it might beat my Raden VP in terms of looks and also price.

The seller shipped it to me via EMS and I had to pick it up at the post office because it required a signature. I have no problem with that but that was the first time I realized there's something dramatically different from the American version of the Raden VP..

Unlike the American version of the Raden (Namiki branded instead of Pilot), the box was plain and simple. Black cardboard with foam padding. My first impression was wow, did I buy the wrong pen? Is this a fake?

After I got on FPN and searched for some photos of the capless Japanese series, I calmed down a bit and started realizing the beauty of this pen. The brown glows in the light, and unlike the Raden shimmer, this Sesenta looks mellow.

I have not tried writing with the pen but the weight seems to be a bit too light for me. I don't think I'll see myself using this pen too much because of the limited edition and the light weight so it's probably gonna go to a better home soon.

Since this is a Vanishing Point, I have to point out that it's not 100% like a Vanishing Point. It will not have the textured feel of the carbonesque types, nor will it be as heavy. I would estimate that the pen is probably 25% lighter than my Raden and Silver ones, perfect for those who complain that the VP is too heavy after a long day of writing. Also, take a look at the pictures of the Raden and Sesenta comparison. The Sesenta is slightly thinner as a whole, the clip does not have as much curvature and doesn't stick out as much when writing. The one of the two rings is much smaller making the middle look slightly uneven. The nib unit is of course interchangable, but for some reason this Sesenta came with a placeholder cartridge instead of a con-50, and only includes one black cartridge on the package.

Without further adieu, here's the pictures:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 revbyrd1

revbyrd1

Southern Gentleman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 00:13

This is a beautiful pen, I am drawn to these deep hues.

I have two such pens. One Namiki that is green with a Doric design that I purchased while I was in graduate school years ago. I used it to take notes, and to write in my journal. Later I purchased a Pilot that is black and silver. I used it professionally and it drew a great deal of attention from people as I would click and it and they realized it was a fountain pen.

I am sorry this pen was not to your liking. I have purchased pens that have disappointed me, but I haven't the heart to separate with them.

Thank you for the photos and review.
Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)
The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

Sponsored Content

|