The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Jotter Xf

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sjchun79

sjchun79

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:29

My second review. Again, apologies for the lack of pictures. I do not have this pen. In future reviews, with pen I have, I will try to post pictures.

The pen broke after trying to fit in a Lamy cartridge. This is purely my fault, but makes me think that the plastic of the pen is a bit too fragile.

First Impressions, Appearance and Design, Weight and Dimensions(7/10)

I got this from my grandmother. Do not know the manufacture date, but since Jotter XFs are no longer made, this pen may be a bit aged.

The pen is very light. The grip and the barrel are both made of plastic. If had a cheap feeling to it, but considering this is a low end budget pen, no problems with that.

The pen may be one of the most slim pens out there. The most thick part of the barrel was at 10mm. The pen has a somewhat cigarlike shape, yet I feel funny using this word, since the pen is so small.

Nib and Performance (5/10)

The pen is smooth, and has a fairly good flow at first, but after about one page of rapid writing, the pen skips. The filling mechanisn just cannot keep up with my handwriting speed. Disappointing.

The nib is nothing superb, but not bad considering the price. Still, I recommend using a bit more money on a better pen. This pen barely makes it into the fountain pen catagory; some might say it`s just a mimic of a fountain pen.

Filling System (6/10)

C/C. Parker cartridges have dry ink. This is bad, since the pen doesn`t have good flow. The amount of ink in a Parker cartridge is fairly large. That`s about the only good aspect in the filling system catagory.

The converter is a cheap piston mechanism. Holds very little ink. Simply a shame.

Cost and Value (?)

Since I did not purchase it, I cannot give this catagory a score. But I probably would not buy this with my own money. The Sailor Ace Neo has a simular shape, writes better, and is about the same cost.

Conclusion : D+

Barely above the failing level. Some might say I`m being a bit harsh on a inexpensive pen. That is true, I might have been expecting too much. But considering that there are other cheap pens that work just fine out there, I feel the Jotter deserves a D grade. Also, my incident(breaking the pen) may have biased my view. Still, I stand by my final statement.

Edited by sjchun79, 06 July 2010 - 05:42.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|