Nakaya- Dorsal Fin- Aka-tame-nuri - Soft & Flexible Medium Cursive Italic

Inked

I added a handwriting sample. I have some time now so I thought I better do it.

My scanner is only black & white. The ink used was MB Royal Blue in case your curious.

Added one more sample using light pressure.

Sincerely

Thanks for putting up the scans. I didn't know that Nakaya did cursive italics, so I'm very interested to see how the nib writes. It looks like you get decent line variation between vertical and horizontal strokes, and the flex allows variation on the vertical strokes as well. Very nice.

When I first received the pen it had a Nakaya cartridge in it. The ink ran a little dryer than the MB ink used above. So when one really flexed the nib, you could actually see in writing the tines of the nib separate and run in parallel with each other, with a clean white space between them. Quite surprising and beautiful.

Sincerely

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inked

• ethernautrix

• DavidHandmade

• nvbrennan

Hello. I have a Dorsal Fin with the Ishime Kanshitsu finish in the (original) Midori Green, with a Music Nib & it was awesome right out of the box.

It has a slightly wider body than my Portable Cigar, which is great in my hand during longer writing sessions.

I see that Classic Pens (now) has Dorsal Fins available with "fins" on both cap and barrel - very tempting!

Thanks for your great review.

STOP POSTING WONDERFUL REVIEWS OF STUNNING NAKAYA PENS!!! :roflmho:

YOU ALL MAKE ME WANT TO BUY HUNDREDS OF THEM!!! :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

confess: you're paid by Nakaya to persuade Italian-pens fanatics like me to switch to the other side of the Pens' World, isn't it?

Hello. I have a Dorsal Fin with the Ishime Kanshitsu finish in the (original) Midori Green, with a Music Nib & it was awesome right out of the box.

It has a slightly wider body than my Portable Cigar, which is great in my hand during longer writing sessions.

I see that Classic Pens (now) has Dorsal Fins available with "fins" on both cap and barrel - very tempting!

Thanks for your great review.

Ah yes, the original Dorsal Fin was very tempting, but on a personal level the aka-tame-nuri is so appealing to me. Also I wanted some kanji characters on it, so it was the best way for me to go. As the pen lightens, I will repost a picture of those.

I agree, fantastic for long writing sessions, both in size and weight.

Thank-you for your acknowledgment of the review. Your welcome.

Inked

Edited by Inked

Hello.

My Portable Cigar is the heki-tame-nuri (brown/green); a beautiful finish!

I'll try to remember to take a few pics as it ages to document the changes in the appearance of the urushi.

I have the "Broad" nib on it, but your writing samples of the cursive italic nib have me curious about whether or not that nib-type will suit my hand.

Thanks for your comments - and beautiful photos.

Wow! Gorgeous!

My urushi Piccolo has become my come-everywhere pen. I find myself fondling it lovingly at nearly every opportunity, it feels just so lovely.

Regarding the weight: it really has to be held to be believed. It is the only pen I can write with seemingly forever without the slightest discomfort or hand-cramp.

Already saving up for my next Nakaya. Maybe it'll have a dorsal fin! :thumbup:

Too many pens; too little writing.

My Nakaya Negoro is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I can hardly wait. Reading reviews like yours makes the arrival of my Nakaya more engiddying (<-- inventing words spontaneously! The power of Nakaya!). I certainly share in your appreciation of Nakaya, and I know how gorgeous your pen is. Thank you for your review and photos!

http://www.nakaya.org/special/negoro/stamep1.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

STOP POSTING WONDERFUL REVIEWS OF STUNNING NAKAYA PENS!!! :roflmho:

YOU ALL MAKE ME WANT TO BUY HUNDREDS OF THEM!!! :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

confess: you're paid by Nakaya to persuade Italian-pens fanatics like me to switch to the other side of the Pens' World, isn't it?

Non ho ricevuto un solo dollaro di Nakaya caro signore. Hanno solo mi ha dato bei ricordi in forma scritta! (I have not received a single dollar from Nakaya dear sir. They have only given me good memories ...in writing!)

Thank-you for your comments.

Inked

I'll try to remember to take a few pics as it ages to document the changes in the appearance of the urushi.

I have the "Broad" nib on it, but your writing samples of the cursive italic nib have me curious about whether or not that nib-type will suit my hand.

Thanks for your comments - and beautiful photos.

Hello

I have seen pictures on Nakaya's website that are of the same pen but a year later, and what a difference. I think it would be interesting to document.

As far as the nib...I had bought a Cartier Pasha from nibs.com and had them put a fine cursive italic on that and I was just amazed at how naturally I took to it, and at the results it gave me for being a stiffer nib. I just had to try on this one with such a flex nib.

Anyways, thank-you for the comments DavidHandmade.

All the best,

Inked

My Nakaya Negoro is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I can hardly wait. Reading reviews like yours makes the arrival of my Nakaya more engiddying (<-- inventing words spontaneously! The power of Nakaya!). I certainly share in your appreciation of Nakaya, and I know how gorgeous your pen is. Thank you for your review and photos!

http://www.nakaya.org/special/negoro/stamep1.jpg

Did it arrive?

Wow! Gorgeous!

My urushi Piccolo has become my come-everywhere pen. I find myself fondling it lovingly at nearly every opportunity, it feels just so lovely.

Regarding the weight: it really has to be held to be believed. It is the only pen I can write with seemingly forever without the slightest discomfort or hand-cramp.

Already saving up for my next Nakaya. Maybe it'll have a dorsal fin! :thumbup:

Yes, it just never seems to stop...the collecting. Just too much darn fun.

Thank-you for the comments.

Inked

PS. Since it has a dorsal fin, I wonder if I can write under water with it, you know like the Space Pen works on Mars :D

Edited by Inked

Did it arrive?

It did! Photo in this post: linky goodness. And it's a thing of Beauty!

Awesome. I'm sure you'll enjoy her/him. I'm hoping for the green ishime-kanshitsu with the fin on the cap but I think that will get set up for LA show 2011 so a bit of waiting before then. Any advice on Nakaya nibs since you seem to have a few?

Awesome. I'm sure you'll enjoy her/him. I'm hoping for the green ishime-kanshitsu with the fin on the cap but I think that will get set up for LA show 2011 so a bit of waiting before then. Any advice on Nakaya nibs since you seem to have a few?

(I need to take more photos, but I'm sans ISP at home currently; right now, Starbucks is my ISP (thanks, Starbucks!).)

I have three Nakayas, all with firm nibs, two Medium and one Fine. The fine is VERY FINE. Writes like a Sailor "Manga" (cheap plastic desk pen and VERY GOOD writer) EF but is toothy (whereas the Sailor's nib is smooth). I had requested (of John Mottishaw) that the firm Fine nib have a round point, and it's wonderful -- and the pen itself is such a pleasure to look at, much less to write with. Serious wowage.

There is a slight difference in line widths of the two M nibs. The M nib I got for my Piccolo at the LA Pen Show is my favorite for the majority of my writing. It is slightly thinner than the Desk Pen's M nib. I use the Desk Pen for most of my work at work.

I'll have to take a look at your green ishime-kanshitsu with the fin on the cap. Do you have a link?

What kind of nib do you prefer?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Ether' thank you for posting this beautiful example. To the original poster also many thanks. I have something custom arriving in two and half weeks. However the piccolo stirred up a case of the "wants"-your Dorsal fin has sent me over the edge-I have just sold all but one of my sailors to offset the outlay. The Kuro Temenuri is my choice of finish.

I cannot wait...

Thanks you for sharing..

regards

S.

That is such a fantastic and creative pen.

Great choice.

Inked

$900 for a pen is quite excessive; that said, this is yet another example of the truly exceptional work that this company does.

Hello.

The Nakaya "Negoro" is a beautiful and unusual interpretation of the Urushi technique.

How did you "order" that version? I do not see that option on the "Cl@ssic P@ns" website.

Did you go directly to Nakaya for it?

I think it would also look gorgeous in Heki-Tamenuri.

Thanks for the pics!