Heirloom Cahier Leather Cover

On a side note:

Are those Life Tracker Day Runner refills fountain pen friendly?

I see they are used in a picture or two.

Sailors Must Go!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heirphoto

• dapv

• jniforat

• RobbW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On a side note:

Are those Life Tracker Day Runner refills fountain pen friendly?

I see they are used in a picture or two.

I have been using my Life Tracker inserts only with a Spaulding rollerball so far but will give an FP a try with them today.

Does anyone know of other planner/calendar notebooks similar in size to the chaiers and clones?

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

Hi Tony: re: the composition size, FWIW, I suggest 8.0" x 10.5" as this would fit the large Moleskine monthly calendar. Anyway, just my presumptuous $0.02. mellow.gif

CFTPM

Hi Tony: re: the composition size, FWIW, I suggest 8.0" x 10.5" as this would fit the large Moleskine monthly calendar. Anyway, just my presumptuous $0.02. mellow.gif

I could certainly do some this size as the extra 1/2" would still provide a reasonable fit with the 10" X-Large Cahiers and Composition books.

I'll look for them online and see if the design of the calendar will work with my binding cords.

BTW, the Life tracker insert did fine with my Edison fine nib and Quink. No feathering but it does bleed through the page a little bit. probably enough to make the back of the page not too usable.

Tony

I could certainly do some this size as the extra 1/2" would still provide a reasonable fit with the 10" X-Large Cahiers and Composition books.

I'll look for them online and see if the design of the calendar will work with my binding cords.

BTW, the Life tracker insert did fine with my Edison fine nib and Quink. No feathering but it does bleed through the page a little bit. probably enough to make the back of the page not too usable.

Tony

Okay, just checked. The X-large monthly and weekly planner are the usual "Smythe" sewn type journal bindings and not exactly what my covers were designed for. You can slip these through the cords but it will not close exactly as it should should. Usable but not ideal.

Tony

What's nice about FPN, is the honesty of the sellers. Here's somebody who sells covers telling a future buyer that his product "Might be usable but isn't perfect". You won't find that often from most online sellers in this day and age. My hats off to Tony and Richard Binder, Both are honest enough to say I can do that but it won't work like you want it to. Here's an alternative suggestion. Thanks guys, Jim

I'm looking forward to the comp covers later this summer. That is exactly what I am looking for.

The chief aim of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever! ~ J. Piper

What's nice about FPN, is the honesty of the sellers. Here's somebody who sells covers telling a future buyer that his product "Might be usable but isn't perfect". You won't find that often from most online sellers in this day and age. My hats off to Tony and Richard Binder, Both are honest enough to say I can do that but it won't work like you want it to. Here's an alternative suggestion. Thanks guys, Jim

Could not agree more. Big pats on the back, and a most grateful thank you.

CFTPM

+1 and tony helped me a ton, and wasn't just trying to get a sale but trying to help me figure out what i need it for! great guy.

+1 and tony helped me a ton, and wasn't just trying to get a sale but trying to help me figure out what i need it for! great guy.

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the compliments.

Tony

Will the composition book covers be able to fit B5 Japanese notebooks (6.9 × 9.8 inches)? And it looks like the large might fit A5 (5.8 × 8.3 inches), but I'm wondering if the glued binding might not work with these? Do the notebooks have to be staple bound?

Tony!!!! I am trying hard to buy from you - please answer my email. I want your covers downunder.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Anyone else 'down under' thinking of ordering these covers? I'm looking to order a few different sizes when the A5 come out (or have they already?) and it might make sense to combine the shipment and save on some costs.

Regards,

- Steve

Will the composition book covers be able to fit B5 Japanese notebooks (6.9 × 9.8 inches)? And it looks like the large might fit A5 (5.8 × 8.3 inches), but I'm wondering if the glued binding might not work with these? Do the notebooks have to be staple bound?

A Smythe sewn binding sort of works but has no gap inside the pages as a folded and stapled binding does. This gap leaves plenty of room for the cord that holds the insert in place to fit. Without this gap, the pages fitting around this cord may stress the binding. On a sewn binding it is strong enough to hold up fine (just may not look as neat) but I worry a glued binding may not have the strength. I would not suggest it.

For thick, sewn binding journals my money goes for the GFeller models. Eventually I will design my own but for now they have the winning design in my book.

Mine are really made specifically for cahier type (and clones) notebooks where the pages are folded and either stapled or sewn. I like being able to switch inserts as needed...blank for sketches, gridded, lined, calendar or planner inserts, etc.... as needed. The design makes a good refillable journal I think, as when you fill a section you just file it away at home and load more. Sort fo combines a binder and a journal. A simplistic Filofax if you will.

I just added a small run of the larger 5 x 8'ish covers this morning.

Tony

Tony!!!! I am trying hard to buy from you - please answer my email. I want your covers downunder.

Pete,

PM sent! I don't always get notification of the FPN, PMs. Emails through my site go directly to my phone.

Several small covers will fit in a flat rate Priority box which is around $11 to Canada and $14 to the rest of the world.

Tony

Edited by Heirphoto

Wow ... Tony .... the good news is there's lots of interest in your product ... but YIKES.... notworthy1.gif you have a lot of patience with all the questions. My hat's off to you brother...

CFTPM

I am looking to choose a second leather option for my notebook covers. I plan to use a Bridle leather which has a harder surface, but will still age well with use. it will give a more finished or "formal" looking surface for those of you who are more Franklin Covey'ish than Indiana Jones.

Some of the choices would be a British Tan, a Dark Brown or Black. I may also do a batch from a regular tan tooling leather which will age in time to a golden brown. Let me know if you have any preferences on color for this next run.

I am also considering other sizes, maybe the small Clairefontaine 3 x 4 1/2 notebooks and had a request or two for a USA Passport size.

Tony

I lean more towards the Indiana Jones look.

British Tan, or Dark Brown are good, but I really like the idea of a "tan tooling leather which will age in time to a golden brown".

Thx.

CFTPM

British Tan has always been a favorite of mine. I'm torn, Indiana Jones look is great, but on occassion I'm placed in a more formal situtation. I'm flexible though, I can go along with the majority decision. I'm anxious to see how the designs turn out. Any chance you can post on your web site the various leather colours and types for us to see before we vote? Jim

British Tan has always been a favorite of mine. I'm torn, Indiana Jones look is great, but on occassion I'm placed in a more formal situtation. I'm flexible though, I can go along with the majority decision. I'm anxious to see how the designs turn out. Any chance you can post on your web site the various leather colours and types for us to see before we vote? Jim

Jim,

I will eventually use all the different colors that are available to me. There are about 5 different colors in bridle leather alone. I am thinking a lighter shade will be different enough from my first release to try next, then maybe a darger brown or black after that.

Right now I only have my latigo on hand so cannot show other options. I will be at my leather supplier on Friday and will go with what looks nice.

Tony

Edited by Heirphoto