Pen Rest/tray Suggestions

sombrueil

If you keep the boxes that come with your pens, take a look to see if any of them have little slide-out trays for literature. You could pull the tray all the way out and use it as a desk tray. I've done that with several of mine. The Visconti boxes with the fake alligator hide have very nice little trays. All I had to do was trim off some of the excess material wrapped and glued underneath them. They make a good home for my pens and a secure place to put the cap when I don't post a pen. Another option is to use the box itself as a quick-access holder.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• steveh6883

• froby

• jbb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hisnibs.com has some clear acrylic stands called Whimsey stands. For one or two pens. they are very simple in design and being clear acrylic they are very unobtrusive. :)

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

• 3 weeks later...

If you keep the boxes that come with your pens, take a look to see if any of them have little slide-out trays for literature. You could pull the tray all the way out and use it as a desk tray. I've done that with several of mine. The Visconti boxes with the fake alligator hide have very nice little trays. All I had to do was trim off some of the excess material wrapped and glued underneath them. They make a good home for my pens and a secure place to put the cap when I don't post a pen. Another option is to use the box itself as a quick-access holder.

Great idea. Thanks. The Visconti and Montegrappa trays slide right out and make great looking desk trays.

This guy from Germany has tablets for 7 or 10 pens for sale that are simple and effective :

http://cgi.ebay.de/Rillentablett-f%FCr-7-Schreibger%E4te-NEU-ideal-f%FCr-Sammler_W0QQitemZ110562936524QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=920115421290a0aad354d1d4fffbeb8b#ht_3110wt_1053

They should not be too hard to copy.

"Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them!" (Duke Leto)

Hello sombrueil,

Like you I find some of my pens dry more quickly when held upright, anyway you can admire them better in a horizontal holder.

I bought a couple of old glass pen rests on eBay but they have inkwells which I don't need so I made a couple of wooden pen rests. See photo below.

The wood is solid bubinga (see: http://www.google.co...ved=0CD8QsAQwBQ )

The inlays are ebony and brass.

If you want to make one you probably need a router (or a very sharp chisel and lots of patience :) )

Don't forget to make the central depression perpendicular to the pen grooves so you can easily pick out the pen you want.

Let me know if you need more info. dimensions etc...

Cheers, Froby.

post-25643-074699400 1278277943.jpg

Wow, Froby!!! They are absolutely gorgeous! Would you consider making them for other members, or to sell?

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Thank you Soki.

I hadn't thought of making other pen rests and would not want to get into "mass production" but if anyone reading this post is interested in a similar "one-off" pen rest, (a copy of mine or a customized design), by all means let me know. I will calculate a cost. The materials are few but they are not cheap and there's a fair amount of work (hours) involved.

I have worked with wood as a hobby for over 40 years - reproducing and restoring antiques mostly. I still like the work but restrain myself to small stuff now - hence the pen rests!

Martin Frobisher, Montréal. (Froby)

Edited by froby

Chopstick holders are usually designed for keeping the working end of the sticks off the table, and I wanted something that holds a pen off the table (supports both ends or the whole pen)

How about taking two of them and gluing them to another piece of wood? Or just setting them free-standing on your desk, either way.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...