Pen Rest/tray Suggestions

sombrueil

My latest acquisition, a wet noodle BCHR Evans, has one idiosyncrasy in that it dries when stored nib up (at nearly 100 years old having only one idiosyncrasy is not bad). Horizontal is what it likes, and this pen is so incredibly wonderful to write with that I am committed to keeping it happy. My inked pens normally stand in a wooden test tube rack, but now I need a pen rest or tray that is kind to to my antique pen. I looked at a lot of pen trays on ebay; they are almost all metal or china, and I wonder if that is too hard a material? They don't lend themselves to being lined with flannel or some such either. A one-pen pen rest would also be an option but most of these, Godzilla aside, are designed to just lift the nib end off the desk and keep the pen from rolling, it seems to me.

Also anything I get would have to blend with my old oak desk and antique wooden corner desk cabinet where my inks live. A tastefully musty style.

Right now my treasured Evans is lying in state on top of my pen wrap, but I was thinking of something more permanent.

I found one thing online that looks perfect, except I can't find it on the website! It is metal but it could easily be padded with a little felt. It came up as a google image in a search for "pen rest" but it looks like it no longer exists on the actual page. That would be here:

http://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/product_images/pens/pen_rest.jpg

Suggestions?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• steveh6883

• froby

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yard sales, thrift stores and antique shops are filled with lovely glass dishes that I've been using for my pens.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4757336097_0264af20b1_b.jpg

I've seen people make pen cases out of cigar boxes, also if you have a wood store in your area they sell pen blanks that you could probably fashion into a stand that way it also can be stained to match your desk. Anyways thats my two cents, good luck with your search.

Grant

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

What about something like this I've seen on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterman-Ink-Bottle-50ml-BLUE-BLACK-Ink-Pen-Holder-/260616282836?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item3cadf0e2d4

It's wooden, holds 2 pens horizontally & has a well for a Waterman Ink Bottle (the hexagonal shape)

Sorry, not sure how to 'grab' just the picture & then post on here :)

Steve

Edited by steveh6883

Steve</br>

Saint Eve Marketing - Online Marketing for Beginners

<hr/>

Send me a postcard - Send me a letter<hr/>

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Waterman pen holder would be perfect if it was for one pen, didn't have an ink bottle hole, and didn't say Waterman (I have a deepseated antipathy for advertising logos on my personal effects).

Chopstick holders are usually designed for keeping the working end of the sticks off the table, and I wanted something that holds a pen off the table (supports both ends or the whole pen)

And, although I like old stuff, I guess I don't like the stuff that seems fussy and old-ladyish to me (cut glass, floral painting on porcelain, things like that).

I'll just come right out and say I'm super picky.

The idea of making my own pen holder out of a little block of wood sounds nice except I have never worked with wood and doubt I have the tools or the skill for even something so simple.

Your suggestions are thought-provoking though.

This page has several stands that look like they are about the same vintage as your pen: www.earlyofficemuseum.com/Pens.htm Maybe something like that would work.

Lashelle

This page has several stands that look like they are about the same vintage as your pen: www.earlyofficemuseum.com/Pens.htm Maybe something like that would work.

Lashelle

great site! I especially like the Prevention of Writers Cramp devices. And you are right, my pen would look right at home on one of those metal racks.

The Waterman pen holder would be perfect if it was for one pen, didn't have an ink bottle hole, and didn't say Waterman (I have a deepseated antipathy for advertising logos on my personal effects).

Chopstick holders are usually designed for keeping the working end of the sticks off the table, and I wanted something that holds a pen off the table (supports both ends or the whole pen)

And, although I like old stuff, I guess I don't like the stuff that seems fussy and old-ladyish to me (cut glass, floral painting on porcelain, things like that).

I'll just come right out and say I'm super picky.

The idea of making my own pen holder out of a little block of wood sounds nice except I have never worked with wood and doubt I have the tools or the skill for even something so simple.

Your suggestions are thought-provoking though.

In that case, easiest way:

Get a block of wood, drill a hole from end to end, then cut the block end to end, you then have 2 pen holders with a recess for resting a pen in each, just needs sanding :)

I guess the woodworkers amongst us are probably screaming at the Luddite approach by now (me not being a woodworker either)

Steve :)

Edited by steveh6883

Steve</br>

<hr/>

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Get a block of wood, drill a hole from end to end, then cut the block end to end, you then have 2 pen holders with a recess for resting a pen in each, just needs sanding :)

hey, that is a great idea!

hey, that is a great idea!

Glad to help :)

Steve</br>

<hr/>

In that case, easiest way:

I guess the woodworkers amongst us are probably screaming at the Luddite approach by now (me not being a woodworker either)

that was my idea too. good one!

A leather pen case.

It is (a bit) more permanent that the wrap, and there are some really nice ones out there (a Waterman example here: http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/waterman.htm).

I am an ignorant regarding vintage Watermans, and perhaps yours is huge and this is not a good idea. :embarrassed_smile:

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

I recommend a fabric runner on the desk so you can put your pen down anyhere on the desktop.

Hello sombrueil,

Like you I find some of my pens dry more quickly when held upright, anyway you can admire them better in a horizontal holder.

I bought a couple of old glass pen rests on eBay but they have inkwells which I don't need so I made a couple of wooden pen rests. See photo below.

The wood is solid bubinga (see: http://www.google.co...ved=0CD8QsAQwBQ )

The inlays are ebony and brass.

If you want to make one you probably need a router (or a very sharp chisel and lots of patience :) )

Don't forget to make the central depression perpendicular to the pen grooves so you can easily pick out the pen you want.

Let me know if you need more info. dimensions etc...

Cheers, Froby.

post-25643-074699400 1278277943.jpg

Edited by froby

I use a glass Sengbusch pen holder similar to item # 160450317057 currently on Ebay. It holds 3 pens and has wells for ink bottles or paperclips etc.

Edited by vickiehof

Hello sombrueil,

Like you I find some of my pens dry more quickly when held upright, anyway you can admire them better in a horizontal holder.

I bought a couple of old glass pen rests on eBay but they have inkwells which I don't need so I made a couple of wooden pen rests. See photo below.

The wood is solid bubinga (see: http://www.google.co...ved=0CD8QsAQwBQ )

The inlays are ebony and brass.

If you want to make one you probably need a router (or a very sharp chisel and lots of patience :) )

Don't forget to make the central depression perpendicular to the pen grooves so you can easily pick out the pen you want.

Let me know if you need more info. dimensions etc...

Cheers, Froby.

post-25643-074699400 1278277943.jpg

I deeply admire these but they are WAYO beyond my expertise, which resembles nil. A lot.