2011 Arkansas Pen & Watch Show

Mauricio

Just out of interest,Troglokev, who are:- the brown recluse, the brown bear, and the brown cow? I'm intrigued!!!

Truffle Finder.

PS. Whoever they all are, I did survive the encounter, but I need more information!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• esterbex

• USMCMom

• watch_art

• Wyre

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of the Arkansas Pen Club

THANK YOU!!!

to the show sponsors, all vendors and guests who attended the show and Arkansas Pen Club members who volunteered at the 2011 Arkansas Pen & Watch Show for making this show a huge success. Attendance and the volume of business that took place exceeded our expectations by far. To summarize the results in one sentence: This pen show put Arkansas in the pen map!

Thanks to Fern for all the huge amount of work he did before and during the pen show. Thanks to "carguy" for getting us the location at very competitive rates. At our next pen club meeting in April, we will start making plans for the 2012 Arkansas Pen Show.

On a personal basis, I did a very good amount of business even though I was not at my table most of the time and even more when knowing I was so consummed as an organizer of the show that I neglected to get set up as nicely as I wished I had been able to. I did not have time to even put prices in my pens, did not bring all my pen inventory, etc. Despite all this, I sold a bunch of pens. Better still, I did find some treasures that are going to stay in my collection for a while. They are:

Waterman 72 & 75 eyedroppers in near mint condition

Wahl Eversharp Tulip in Black & Pearl celluloid, standard size and in fantastic condition .... I am a big fan of those tulip/military clips in Wahl pens

Mabie Todd Swan with the lizzard pattern, magenta colors. Acquired one standard and one oversize.

Two Parker Lucky Curve eyedroppers from around year 1900. One of them has its original box and in mint condition.

Out of all pens I have sold or traded over the years, I have always regreted parting with three of them. This past weekend I was able to buy two of those back: A Parker Jack Knife Safety 24 and a Diamond Point in Turquoise and Bronze celluloid with domed ends from the 1930s (same color as the Waterman Patrician Turquoise) :cloud9:

I acquired two sizable lots of Waterman and Conklin pens, and a bunch of pens with flexible nibs. I have already started restoring them, fine tunning them for ideal ink flow, and they will be made available for sale in my website. I start uploading these pens today.

For me, the best part of the show was to get to visit with vendors, get to know some of them on a personal basis, get to make a lot of new pen friends .... and to see lots folks having all kinds of pen fun during the show. Those happy faces and smiles leave very fond memories in my mind.

I will add a few more pictures of my traesure finds and of the show some time later :happyberet:

Edited by Mauricio

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Thanks for all your hard work during the show Mauricio, and thank you so much for making me feel so welcome at Little Rock, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and will always remember it with happy memories.

Thank you.

Henry. :thumbup:

Well it took me a bit of time to get these pics in an "uploadable" format....my SD-drive isn't cooperating these days. Some may be redundant with those already posted by Mauricio. I hope I am forgiven for not knowing the names of all subjects in all photos....there were so many people! Enjoy!

USMCMom perusing the wares.... :drool:

fpn_1300330579__img0280640.jpg

Susan Wirth and Mauricio in a tête–à–tête....

fpn_1300330884__img0283640.jpg

Yeah, Nola....we know you hauled off a dozen pens....and several bottles of ink....rub it in willya! :headsmack:

fpn_1300336097__img0285640.jpg

Brian Anderson and Joel Hamilton trying to figure out how I became the latest and last member of the elite and exclusive Black Pen Society.... :ph34r:

fpn_1300336347__img0290640.jpg

Paul and Mauricio trying to get their points across....

fpn_1300336664__img0293640.jpg

Arkansas' finest....and I mean that sincerely....you guys rock! :thumbup:

fpn_1300336861__img0299640.jpg

Joel Hamilton and Mrs. Vanness helping Dr. Padilla decide which Simpole overlay to hide from the Mrs..... :hmm1:

fpn_1300337082__img0309640.jpg

Paul E and the lovely Camilla haggling over the pricing of her wares....

fpn_1300337466__img0315640.jpg

Fern trying to be on his best behavior....right.... :roflmho:

fpn_1300337748__img0332640.jpg

Mauricio the "flexy thrill pusher"..... I mean those pens were hard to walk away from.... :drool:

fpn_1300337945__img0336640.jpg

The paparazzi are much more genteel in Arkansas.... B)

fpn_1300338314__img0349640.jpg

ETA: Additional show pics on the Has Anyone Heard....thread

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Man, I wish I could have been there for this one!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

Looks like a ton of fun. I sure wish I had gone. I will make it to one someday.

It was!! I learned a lot and had so much fun. I don't know how many miles I put on my tennis shoes those 3 days ... I just kept walking up and down isles and around the room ... LOL ... Loved it and it was wonderful to actually meet some of our FPN members as well as others! The Little Rock show, even tho my first, was fantastic and so well done. Can't wait for next year!!!

Looks like a ton of fun. I sure wish I had gone. I will make it to one someday.

It was!! I learned a lot and had so much fun. I don't know how many miles I put on my tennis shoes those 3 days ... I just kept walking up and down isles and around the room ... LOL ... Loved it and it was wonderful to actually meet some of our FPN members as well as others! The Little Rock show, even tho my first, was fantastic and so well done. Can't wait for next year!!!

I know right? I'll be there too, Lord willin' and the crick don't rise.... B)

~~Larry Brown

Here are a few more pictures of the pen show ...

Three of the wonderful volunteers at the registration table ... guarding the money and the two door prizes!

fpn_1300549385__img_4023.jpg

fpn_1300549319__img_4046.jpg

Henry Simpole in action ... it was quite a treat seen his amazing work in person!

fpn_1300548551__img_4068.jpg

fpn_1300548597__img_4071.jpg

fpn_1300548653__img_4065.jpg

"Tu Amigo" Mauricio in action with those flexy nibs ... lots of fun!

fpn_1300548716__img_4059.jpg

fpn_1300548807__img_4058.jpg

Nola (USMC Mom) and Wendi (esterbex) ... Aren't they happy to get together at the pen show?

fpn_1300548923__img_4053.jpg

Don Lamkin

fpn_1300549091__img_4034.jpg

Mike Vanness

fpn_1300549180__img_3983.jpg

Tim Byler tumbling all registration forms before picking the winner of the big door prize

fpn_1300549644__img_4048.jpg

and the lucky winner of the Conway Stewart Celebration pen was .... Shanon Padilla ... congratulations Shanon!

fpn_1300549809__img_4045.jpg

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

Such lovely pics Mauricio! Thank you!!! For everything!!!

~~Larry Brown

I think that that picture of Wendi [Esterbex] is just so good! It's just a shame that I didn't think to take some pictures of her myself, but I was a bit preoccupied with demonstrating during the show! But I could kick myself for not doing so!

Truffle Finder. :wub:

I think that that picture of Wendi [Esterbex] is just so good! It's just a shame that I didn't think to take some pictures of her myself, but I was a bit preoccupied with demonstrating during the show! But I could kick myself for not doing so!

I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera to take a couple shots of you working to share with my students at school. I think they would have gotten a kick out of seeing that, and the finished product. Very cool stuff. Oh, and I looked up tithe barns. ;)

I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera to take a couple shots of you working to share with my students at school. I think they would have gotten a kick out of seeing that, and the finished product. Very cool stuff. Oh, and I looked up tithe barns. ;)

I hate I didn't get a pic of you, Shawn....I think I was a bit tired and just not thinking by the time I realized who you were....You are adorable!

Sue, thought so too....

~~Larry Brown

No kicking allowed in this forum....we can work something else out.... ;)

~~Larry Brown

I hate I didn't get a pic of you, Shawn....I think I was a bit tired and just not thinking by the time I realized who you were....You are adorable!

Sue, thought so too....

I guess. She sure was a trip man! Lots of fun talking to her and John. They bought me dinner for driving them across the river since they didn't have a ride. Got to play with lots of pens before the food came out which was lots of fun. I mean, when was I going to play with a couple of Pilot Custom 823s and Pelikan 800s? And they told me one simple thing that has helped me with grinding stubs and cursive italics. Make it a box first! And they told me stories about Binder and Nathan Tardiff and other pen people that I hadn't heard of yet. It was all very entertaining. I think they were a bit surprised with how much I know about pens (the repairing part, not the history part :D) and I had a good time talking about home made tools and stuff like that.

Sue, thought so too....

I was really wanting to get a picture of the three of you together, "the 3 Musketeers" ... Nola (USMCMom), Wendi (Esterbex), and Shawn (watch_art), but forgot Shawn would only come to the show on Saturday.

I am getting pictures from other visitors who attended the show. Hope to get at least one picture of you at the show, Shawn. In the meantime, here's a picture of you in action at one of our last Arkansas Pen Club meetings. I am still amazed at your sketching and drwaing skills, not to mention at your unconventional ways of repairing pens!

And here is watch_art, displaying his artistic skills to all of us!

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/IMG_3747.jpg

There are a few more pictures of one of the most recent Arkansas Pen Club meetings in this THREAD

Edited by Mauricio

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

There you are, Shawn! :clap1:

Thank you Mauricio!!!! You're more than "flexy"! B)

~~Larry Brown