2011 Arkansas Pen & Watch Show

Mauricio

Best Arkansas pen show yet! I Hate that I can't be there Sunday! Met so many of the wonderful FPN folks and had a great time talking with everyone. Sent many pens to new homes to new people who will love and take care of them and brought a few new special pens home so I can do the same! I think this is the first pen show that I didn't add to the ink collection but got some new ideas for my next purchases.

My new goodies from the show were:

Namiki VP Stealth

Pelikan 800 Blue-o-Blue

Arial Kulock Parker 51 Demonstrator Vac

Bexley Zoss list 1000th member special edition pen #81/100

Thanks to all the great FPNers that made my pen show so special!

Perry

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• esterbex

• USMCMom

• watch_art

• Wyre

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm sorry to have missed this one! It looks like it was a really good show. Sadly, I am currently over the hills and far away.

Congrats on the goodies, Perry...especially that Bexley! Those are really sweet looking pens.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

I had a great time Friday. Sadly I didn't add to my pens, well, I did get a new glass pen for ink testing :)

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."- The Doctor

Nice haul Perry! :puddle:

Bruce in Ocala, FL -not coveting Perry's BoB, but one just like it would be very nice

Really hated to leave the Little Rock show, but all good and wonderful things come to an end at some point, don't they!

So, I'm back home in Tennessee. I was able to meet many members that I have either posted to, received posts from or even just to put a face with a name, as well as others. What a wonderful experience and now, I'm hooked on shows! LOL I had a positively wonderful, wonderful time. Thank you so much to all who made the Little Rock show happen. I wonder how many miles I walked Friday, Saturday and today! I couldn't even guess the number of times I walked up isles, down isles and around the room. My first pen show .... LOVED IT!!!!

Nola, you're not getting away that easy!

Get any new toys?!

:hmm1:

Bruce in Ocala, FL -who in the world goes to a pen show and comes home empty handed?

Nola, you're not getting away that easy!

Get any new toys?!

:hmm1:

Bruce in Ocala, FL -who in the world goes to a pen show and comes home empty handed?

You don't let me get away with anything, do you!!! LOL Well, ok ... uh ... no, I didn't come back empty handed!! LOL Isn't that against some pen law or something?? I can tell you this ... I didn't break any pen laws! LOL

I promise I will get pictures done as soon as I can find somewhere to lay all my pretties out. There's no furniture here in this house, it's all at the other house. One of my prized pens from Little Rock has a flexible nib that I intend to learn to use, do a lot of practicing with and show Mauricio that I CAN do that! Well, I think I can. LOL Have you seen Mauricio's writing??? Oh, my stars ... WOW! Bought a "special " bottle of ink for it also ... Diamine Light Green. Was that the only bottle of ink? Ummm .. no. Was it the only pen? No ... pen law. LOL The only other pen I'll mention before pictures is, I have a super smooth snorkel from packmanpony (Perry). I love color and am partial to larger pens ... so I brought some home. <G> Well, I couldn't leave them there, now could I!!

Edited by USMCMom

Ha! Glad to hear you had a good time. It's hard not to get a pen sensory overload when you

walk into your first pen show.

Glad to hear you have some new pretties too! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

My first pen show was tons of fun. Got there about 11am Saturday, didn't leave till 1030pm.

Mauricio and Fern and the rest of the Arkansas Pen Club members did a great job organizing the whole thing.

Met a few people from FPN which was cool.

I walked around kinda aimlessly at first. Got to watch Mike-it-work do his thing with a few nibs.

But going to a pen show without any money seemed kind of a lame idea, but after lunch when the crowd sort of cleared out, I had time to sit and talk with some of the vendors a bit. Had a great time listening to Henry Simpole talk about giving a demo in a tithe barn and people were just gathering up en masse to watch him do something that he considered totally routine. Really nice guy.

Got to play with a Visconti HS a bit, didn't write with it, but wasn't too impressed with it either. Didn't really care for the cap locking thread thingy too much. Wasn't too impressed with some of the Leban and Bexley pens. Just based on looks though. I think I'd go for some vintage Auroras or Pelikans if I had a bunch of money to play with. It was really cool to actually hold and play with all these different pens.

The only pen I brought home was a Bexley 10th anniversary in lime with blue swirls.

Hung out a bit late Saturday. I was sitting at Susan Wirth's table playing with all her pens, from old hard rubber flexies, to Platinum and Sailor pens, and everything in between. The hotel had to lock up so I helped Susan and John (her assistant) clean up their stuff and cover the tables.

I drove them across town and they treated me to dinner and we played with pens for a while before pizza came out. An old Soennecken, some Pilot 823s, a couple Pels, and some other pens I don't remember too well. Lots of fun. It's funny, I never figured other people played with pens at the dinner table like I do. I thought I was just crazy.

Anyway, really liked Susan a lot. She and John gave me some nib grinding advice (which I'm playing with right now).

As I was walking out with Susan we stopped to talk to some more pen folk in the lobby. I met Paul Erano and saw Simpole, Esterbex, and USMCmom again.

Very cool day over all.

Can't wait to go to my next show. Who knows, maybe I'll be on the other side of the table.

Edited by watch_art

My first pen show was tons of fun. Got there about 11am Saturday, didn't leave till 1030pm.

Mauricio and Fern and the rest of the Arkansas Pen Club members did a great job organizing the whole thing.

Met a few people from FPN which was cool.

I walked around kinda aimlessly at first. Got to watch Mike-it-work do his thing with a few nibs.

But going to a pen show without any money seemed kind of a lame idea, but after lunch when the crowd sort of cleared out, I had time to sit and talk with some of the vendors a bit. Had a great time listening to Henry Simpole talk about giving a demo in a tithe barn and people were just gathering up en masse to watch him do something that he considered totally routine. Really nice guy.

Got to play with a Visconti HS a bit, didn't write with it, but wasn't too impressed with it either. Didn't really care for the cap locking thread thingy too much. Wasn't too impressed with some of the Leban and Bexley pens. Just based on looks though. I think I'd go for some vintage Auroras or Pelikans if I had a bunch of money to play with. It was really cool to actually hold and play with all these different pens.

The only pen I brought home was a Bexley 10th anniversary in lime with blue swirls.

Hung out a bit late Saturday. I was sitting at Susan Wirth's table playing with all her pens, from old hard rubber flexies, to Platinum and Sailor pens, and everything in between. The hotel had to lock up so I helped Susan and John (her assistant) clean up their stuff and cover the tables.

I drove them across town and they treated me to dinner and we played with pens for a while before pizza came out. An old Soennecken, some Pilot 823s, a couple Pels, and some other pens I don't remember too well. Lots of fun. It's funny, I never figured other people played with pens at the dinner table like I do. I thought I was just crazy.

Anyway, really liked Susan a lot. She and John gave me some nib grinding advice (which I'm playing with right now).

As I was walking out with Susan we stopped to talk to some more pen folk in the lobby. I met Paul Erano and saw Simpole, Esterbex, and USMCmom again.

Very cool day over all.

Can't wait to go to my next show. Who knows, maybe I'll be on the other side of the table.

We need to "do" Dallas!!!

Oh ... remember when I was trying to get you to help me choose colorful pens and you liked one of the ones I had laid out, saying that you thought it had a more vintage look to it??? Yeah, well it's in TN now. LOL

Ha! Glad to hear you had a good time. It's hard not to get a pen sensory overload when you

walk into your first pen show.

Glad to hear you have some new pretties too! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I had a fantastic time!!!

Think I came home with a dozen pens (who counts!), ink, pen holder/rest and journal.

that's awesome!

Yeah .... and had Mike grind one of the new pen's nib to a .7 CI after he let me play with a couple of his.

Isn't Susan a dear?! She may not recall, lt's been some years, but enjoyed visiting with her near the end of the MI pen show, learning what my newly restored GF semiflex nib Wahl could do, certainly wonderful, in her able hand :) .. then a friendly meal in local eatery. Always intended to correspsond, but life became irrationally difficult just therafter..

Delighted to hear your reports of such a fine show!

Yeah .... and had Mike grind one of the new pen's nib to a .7 CI after he let me play with a couple of his.

HaHa! told you so! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl -that Mike guy, I'll tell ya... ;)

I love having Mike Masuyama come to the pen shows! Such a great guy and such an artist with the nibs! He did a slight flow improvement on my extra fine Pelikan Blue-o-Blue nib and made my dream touch HS Lava even dreamier, now writing a perfect extra fine!

I am already dreaming of Dallas in the fall.... :cloud9:

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Perry, I wanted to thank you one more time for the advice, and the great talk.

USMCMom, You are such a dear... Thank you for hanging out! I had a great time.

watch_art it was most excellent meeting you in person and swapping stories.

I had such a great time. I came home to my mail box bulging... My Pel M400 with Medium nib came in!

Two things... I am underwhelmed.

I expected the nib to be as smooth as a buttered babies bottom on linoleum... it just isnt. It is scratchy! A medium german made nib that is scratchy!!!! The other problem is that you have to drag the nib a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch to get it started. I am very much NOT pleased. This nib is going to a nibmeister like PRONTO!

A great show with great people! Cant wait for the next one!

Edited by Wyre

Fast, Cheap, Good... you can choose two.

Thanks to Fernando and Maurico for the best Arkansas Pen & Watch Show I've ever seen. I also know that Mike Vanness worked hard to bring some great vendors, the Arkansas Pen club was hospitable and ready to help everyone. It was bigger and better than ever and is certainly going to grow. Lots of friends and pens made it a great show. I had a great time. I picked up a Parker streamlined black and pearl pencil from the Andersons to match my pen, a OS brown Sheaffer at a great price from Paul Erano that needed work and is now up and running, a blue Wahl traded from Perry, a Parker Maxima fp/mp set (traded for work)from Peter Miller and a watch from John Turner. Thanks to everyone who stopped by my table and extra thanks to those who bought pens there haha. I worked the whole time but took breaks to wander around.

Looking forward to next year.

danny

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif

Thanks for the pictures, Mauricio.

Did Henry survive his encounters with the brown recluse, the brown bear, and the brown cow?