Sailor Eyedropper Conversion

mori45

I was looking at Sailor Pro Gear/Sapporo demonstrators and although I like the idea of clear demonstrators, I think a converter kills the mood. Has anyone tried to convert either of these pens to an eyedropper filler?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• mori45

• churl

• Siv

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend it. The nib/section units have a lot of metal that could be corroded by the ink, over time.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I wouldn't recommend it. The nib/section units have a lot of metal that could be corroded by the ink, over time.

It would sure look cool though; I'm wondering if Edison Pens might be able to custom make a demonstrator/eyedropper with a big juicy Platinum BB nib that I have.....

I have been thinking about trying this with one of my Sailors. Some brave soul give it a shot and let us know how it works out!

The sailor threads are not exceptionally fine, though it does seal with an o ring

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The Sailor converter has a frustratingly small capacity. I wish there were a good way to make my 1911 with naginata-togi nib into an eyedropper. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can tell us whether inks with neutral pH are safe with metal interior parts.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Isn't corrosion avoidable if one uses pH neutral inks like Noodler's?

It's nothing to do with pH - the corrosion is a product of air, water and metal!

Some people have protected the metal but inserting a cart and cutting the bottom off and using nail polish to protect the threads. Silor threads are very fine so I'm not sure how well this would work. Here's the link to a Nakaya that has been converted.

Also if the barrel is made from more than one piece you need to make sure there will be no leaks from the bottom - you sould try filling the barrel with water and checking for leaks...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I tried the water test and the Sapporo passed with flying colors. Of course it's solid black, so it was a bit less exciting, but hey, it worked.

As for the problem of corrosion, what about using a water displacer? If one was to apply a small amount on a semi-regular basis, I imagine that would work quite well. Of course, it would have to be tested to make sure it didn't react with the ink to cause a more serious problem. I know how everyone here feels about testing chemicals on innocent pens, but sometimes there's not a whole lot of choice...

I guess you could attach a tiny zinc anode inside the barrel and that would prevent or at least decrease corrosion, but honestly, is anyone THAT in love with their Sapporo? They're only ~$130. If I had a demonstrator, I'd be willing to try it, but I have a moratorium on pens over $100 in effect.

I was looking at Sailor Pro Gear/Sapporo demonstrators and although I like the idea of clear demonstrators, I think a converter kills the mood. Has anyone tried to convert either of these pens to an eyedropper filler?

Makes no sense to me. One would loose all the advantages of a C/C pen and gain all the disadvantages of an old fashioned non-valved ED.

If one really wants an eye dropper, and it will cost, then one should look toward the valved Japanese ED pens.

YMMV

Maybe this would make a little sense:

Sailor does not seem to understand that many users would like a larger ink supply. The converter is much too small, especially if you're using a nib that gushes ink, like my naginata-togi. The ink capacity of the Sailor piston-fillers is not much better than that of the converter.

We've got a few demonstrators here in the shop, and I briefly toyed with this, but after looking closely (and dis-assembling one quite quickly), I decided that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea. There are quite a few threaded bits and pieces of a Sailor 1911 (and I'd assume with a ProGear as well, although I haven't looked), so there are a lot of nooks and crannies that ink would end up finding its way into, unless you could REALLY do a good job of sealing up the threads. Corrosion aside, I don't relish the idea of writing with a pen that leaks from every joint! :(

(Agreed on the small ink capacity frustration, though.)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I happened to have eye-dropper converted a few of my cartridge pens, and the Sailor Pro-Gear was one of them. The o-ring does a good job of sealing the section to the barrel, but I made sure to use some thick silicone grease to seal the threads. This is the grease I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Corning-High-Vacuum-Grease-Tube/dp/B0015T42P4

I used my Pro-Gear as an eye-dropper at my desk for about 6 months with no leaks and corrosion. The rhodium still is bright and shiny. I did carry it around a few times and no problems were encountered. Overall, I was quite pleased with how the pen wrote - same as with a cart. One issue did come up when the pen was nearing empty - the pen burped up a little blob from under the nib while I was writing. Not entirely sure why, but I surmise the heat from my hand caused the air in the barrel to expand and increase the pressure inside. Since the pen was almost empty, there was a greater amount of air than ink. Also, since the ink/air was in contact with the barrel, there was increased conductivity of heat from hand to air. In the case of a converter or cart, there is a layer of insulating air between it and the barrel so even a hot sweaty hand would probably have little to no influence on the internal pressure. Other pens I have converted are: Lamy 2000 (removed the piston mechanism), Parker 100 (sealed up end jewel), Namiki Falcon.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

• 7 years later...

I happened to have eye-dropper converted a few of my cartridge pens, and the Sailor Pro-Gear was one of them. The o-ring does a good job of sealing the section to the barrel, but I made sure to use some thick silicone grease to seal the threads. This is the grease I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Corning-High-Vacuum-Grease-Tube/dp/B0015T42P4

I used my Pro-Gear as an eye-dropper at my desk for about 6 months with no leaks and corrosion. The rhodium still is bright and shiny. I did carry it around a few times and no problems were encountered. Overall, I was quite pleased with how the pen wrote - same as with a cart. One issue did come up when the pen was nearing empty - the pen burped up a little blob from under the nib while I was writing. Not entirely sure why, but I surmise the heat from my hand caused the air in the barrel to expand and increase the pressure inside. Since the pen was almost empty, there was a greater amount of air than ink. Also, since the ink/air was in contact with the barrel, there was increased conductivity of heat from hand to air. In the case of a converter or cart, there is a layer of insulating air between it and the barrel so even a hot sweaty hand would probably have little to no influence on the internal pressure. Other pens I have converted are: Lamy 2000 (removed the piston mechanism), Parker 100 (sealed up end jewel), Namiki Falcon.

Hi there J-san, so, after seven years is your Sailor still behaving good? I am thinking about doing the conversion but would like about consult your 7-years of experience

Thanks

Edited by abejon

It might be better to cut off the back of a converter and shellac the longest sac you can on to the back. That will increase the ink capacity without the hassles of a full eyedropper conversion.

Yet another Sarah.