The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Nakaya Urushi Eyedropper Conversion

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Searer

Scott Searer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:28

What would be necessary to convert one of the Nakaya Urushi pens to an eyedropper? And, have any of you tried it? Thanks in advance--Scott.

Sponsored Content

#2 daryllwin

daryllwin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:30

Eye dropper? Wow. That's an interesting idea. I'd be interested to see how that works too!

#3 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:35

I was just thinking this the other day--this would make Nakaya usable for me--EXCEPT for the step in ALL their pens barrels!! --Darn.

Still interested to see if anyone has do this though.
www.stevelightart.com

#4 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:13

You could use silicone grease to seal the section, but you will want to check carefully inside the section.

Are there brass parts? If so, you really can't do this without the brass fouling the ink.

My Piccolo had brass components in the section, so ED conversion wasn't a good idea on that one.

#5 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:35

You could use silicone grease to seal the section, but you will want to check carefully inside the section.

Are there brass parts? If so, you really can't do this without the brass fouling the ink.

My Piccolo had brass components in the section, so ED conversion wasn't a good idea on that one.

I think this may be a problem for anyone contemplating Nakaya ED conversion. I've heard of folk painting/varnishing the metal parts to avoid contamination, but it seems like a solution fraught with danger to me. I'd suggest you might be better off with a Danitrio - they already offer ED pens and most of their c/c ebonite pens, except the Hanryo, are metal free and thus easy to convert.
D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#6 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:36

This topic pops up all the time - check the archives. The only point that hasn't yet been made in this rehash is that someone always points out they know a guy who knew a guy who put nail polish/epoxy/etc. on the brass parts to protect them and the ink from each other.

Basic summary - you can try to make it work if you really want to, but you're doing something that is pretty widely accepted as a bad idea.

edit: And there it is, just as I was typing. the stuff above. Now this thread is complete!

Edited by opus7600, 21 June 2010 - 12:37.

#7 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 13:30

This topic pops up all the time - check the archives. The only point that hasn't yet been made in this rehash is that someone always points out they know a guy who knew a guy who put nail polish/epoxy/etc. on the brass parts to protect them and the ink from each other.

Basic summary - you can try to make it work if you really want to, but you're doing something that is pretty widely accepted as a bad idea.

edit: And there it is, just as I was typing. the stuff above. Now this thread is complete!

Agreed--and that guy who tried it never seems to pop up himself to say how it turned out!

I agree that going with Dani Trio is a better idea. Lots of metal inside the section of a Nakaya.

Dan

#8 skipwilliams

skipwilliams

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,107 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:58

The interior parts are brass, in my experience, which makes ED conversion bad.

You could try a Bexley Imperial, which is the same size/weight as a Nakaya, but cheaper. It has no brass parts and would handle an ED conversion quite well. It's not urushi, though.

Skip
Skip Williams
www.skipwilliams.com/blog

#9 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:33

As Skip says, the Bexley Imperial would be a good choice--it was made to be used either as a c/c or an ED. No conversion necessary, although I tend to put a bit of silicon grease on the inner barrel threads of every ED I used

Dan

#10 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:22

Agreed--and that guy who tried it never seems to pop up himself to say how it turned out!

I agree that going with Dani Trio is a better idea. Lots of metal inside the section of a Nakaya.

Dan

Hi Folks!

I popped up and showed some photos of my conversion to ED - and how I did it. Years ago on Pentrace Lex Villines showed some examples and I followed - and have never had any problems!
First off you can cut the end off a used and empty cart and fit that over the metal bit, which is what I did, and then I painted with clear nail polish all the rest of the exposed bits - and have had no problems at all. I'll have a look for my photos, which were posted here ages ago. Here are the photos...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Chris Chalmers, 23 June 2010 - 03:58.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#11 USN Air TrafficController

USN Air TrafficController

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:57

touche :)
Currently Inked;
MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown
Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire
Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

#12 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• 1,097 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 13:10

I popped up and showed some photos of my conversion to ED - and how I did it.

Well, shucks. I love dispelling urban legends, but I have to admit seeing them proven right is pretty neat, too.

#13 Scott Searer

Scott Searer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 13:19

Impressive indeed, thanks for the replies. Am intrigued by Danitrio (especially their flex nibs), but worry about the size...Am thinking that a neo-standard must be near perfection in terms of size. I have a Platinum with a BB nib that empties a cartridge in what seems to be mere minutes.....

#14 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 13:35

Hi Folks!

I popped up and showed some photos of my conversion to ED - and how I did it. Years ago on Pentrace Lex Villines showed some examples and I followed - and have never had any problems!
<snip>

Darn! And from an unimpeachable source (not to mention a very peachy lady!)! Drat!

Dan

#15 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 15:03

That's fabulous, Chris! I'm eying my Nakaya Desk Pen again... imagining the amount of ink that pen could hold (nearly a half-bottle, I suppose!).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#16 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 16:47

Hmmmmmmmm.... most intriguing. Thanks for dropping those by Chris!

Also to the person who is worried about size of Danitrio. The short octagon is a smallish, great size! And works as an eyedropper too. Here's one of the reviews: http://www.fountainp...tagon-tamenuri/

Edited by jde, 23 June 2010 - 16:50.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#17 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,231 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 23:05

Asking the question to John Mottishaw, he told me it was not a good idea. Apparently there are some brass parts in the pen.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Sponsored Content

|