Varuna Rajan Nib Change

Malcy

I bought a Varuna Rajan at the Northern Pen show and love it's colouring (green/black swirl) and shape but I am on the verge of selling it as I just don't like the nib. There is nothing wrong with the nib as such, it writes well but I prefer a wider nib and this one is marked F and writes like an EF and that's too narrow for me.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Klj5zP2P7O8/TAayFfDIgZI/AAAAAAAAB7E/9QxLPfNQOMk/s800/DSC00933.jpg

I will happily keep the pen if I can sort the nib width issue out. I would imagine that this pen is an ideal candidate for nib replacement with it's basic construction. I am looking for a broad or even better a firm stub or possibly music nib. Can anyone recommend a source for a nib or nib/feed that I could fit to this pen. If I don't find a solution it's going on sale. :gaah:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pippin60

• majorworks

• Malcy

• rwilsonedn

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with Steve about this. He'll probably weigh in before long anyway. But I'm sure you have options in terms of swapping out the nib. I have a Rajan as well with a medium JoWo nib. That might be the way for you to go.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I've upgraded a couple of nibs from Steve. Not difficult really but you need a "knock out block" I just made one out of a block of wood. He'll also do it for you but I don't recall if he charged to do it or just for the nib. I have; 2 both of which are set up as eye droppers and with medium stubs.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I just realized that the OP is in the UK and may or may not know Steve Braun at all. Probably best to go through the European reseller of the Varuna pens. But I'm still sure the problem is solvable.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Right. The Steve in question is Steve Braun at http://www.allwritenow.net/.

He is the importer of (and I think the one who named) Varuna pens, and he stocks replacement nibs, including vintage gold nibs. If you contact him I'm sure he can find something you will enjoy.

But in the meantime, is the problem that the nib is too fine for you, or that it is writing too dry? You might try adjusting the flow a bit before you give up on the nib. I would give the pen a good flushing first, and then try flossing between the tines with a thin sheet of metal or plastic (thinner than a business card, perhaps the thickness of writing paper) and after a few passes just leaving the material in between the tines for a few moments. Then dip the pen and try it again. If that seems to be helping but isn't quite enough, you can very gently spread the tines apart a little bit with your finger and thumb nails. Go slow, be gentle, and write with the nib after every adjustment to see how it's working.

Or, of course, if that doesn't sound like fun, contact Steve.

ron

You have a couple options.

1)Contact Steve and ask him to sell you a steel broad or medium nib.

2)Order a Medium here: Heritance Nibs. I've used these nibs and they write well. On the plus side, the Heritance nib has a nice logo etched on it.

He is the importer of (and I think the one who named) Varuna pens, and he stocks replacement nibs, including vintage gold nibs. If you contact him I'm sure he can find something you will enjoy.

But in the meantime, is the problem that the nib is too fine for you, or that it is writing too dry? You might try adjusting the flow a bit before you give up on the nib. I would give the pen a good flushing first, and then try flossing between the tines with a thin sheet of metal or plastic (thinner than a business card, perhaps the thickness of writing paper) and after a few passes just leaving the material in between the tines for a few moments. Then dip the pen and try it again. If that seems to be helping but isn't quite enough, you can very gently spread the tines apart a little bit with your finger and thumb nails. Go slow, be gentle, and write with the nib after every adjustment to see how it's working.

ron

Thanks for the replies.

The existing nib is working ok it is just much too fine for me, I prefer a broad (or broader) nib.

Steve has pointed me to John Sorowka here in the UK who has said that he can sort me out, so it looks like there will be a happy ending. :cloud9:

ron

Thanks for the replies.

The existing nib is working ok it is just much too fine for me, I prefer a broad (or broader) nib.

Steve has pointed me to John Sorowka here in the UK who has said that he can sort me out, so it looks like there will be a happy ending. :cloud9:

You'll like the nib then I'm in the US but one of my upgraded nibs is from John Sorowka.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888