Oxford English Dictionary Compact Ed. W/ Magnifier

Hello

I am selling a copy of the OED micrographically reproduced in one volume with the globe magnifier. The slipcase has a few dings and the bottom has a little wear as can be seen in the pictures, but is in good condition and still very solid. The dictionary itself is still very tight; the spine on these is never too crisp (I have another copy which was like this brand new) and the page edges have a little blacking from use and being slid into the case. The cover page is wrinkled, a common problem with onion skin paper. Please refer to the pictures or send me questions. I am asking $200 OBO plus $25 of the CONUS shipping costs (it is a big bulky parcel), Paypal preferred. Shipping anywhere else will have to be negotiated on an individual basis, i.e. I will need to get a specific quote. Thank you for looking and please PM me with inquiries!

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Edited by alkman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alkman

• stevlight

• kanajlo

• SarahS

Top Posters In This Topic

I have and love this dictionary--this is a good price for a GREAT dictionary--good luck with the sale.

www.stevelightart.com

If I weren't trying to downsize books (and everything else in this small condo) I would buy it in a second. I'm familiar with the OED - it's a great resource.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

While money would be best, I would also consider a trade for pens...make me an offer! But I would still need some cash to cover shipping.

Edited by alkman

Lots of words to practice writing :clap1: You can get some added use from your pens.

Edited by alkman

I'd be willing to trade this dictionary for an Esterbrook 8440 nib in NOS or lightly used condition. We could work out shipping details...

Bump...

Mazut: The viscous liquid left as residue after the distillation of Russian petroleum, used as fuel oil and a coarse lubricant.

bump...

bararag: A vocable invented to represent the sound of a trumpet; cf tantara.

BTW you will need the dictionary to find out what tantara means.

bump...

inkhorn: small portable vessel (originally made of a horn) for holding writing-ink: now seldom used.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Of or belonging to England (or Britain) or its inhabitants.

In early use sometimes spec. designating inhabitants of England of Anglo-Saxon descent, in contradistinction to those of Celtic, Scandinavian, or Norman descent.

eOE Bald's Leechbk. (Royal) II. lxv. 292 Wi utwærce genim unsmerigne healfne cyse, do englisces huniges III snæda to, wylle on pannan o æt hit brunige. OE ÆLFRIC Catholic Homilies: 2nd Ser. (Cambr. Gg.3.28) ix. 74 a gelamp hi,..æt englisce cypmenn brohton heora ware to romanabyrig. OE ÆLFRIC Gram. (St. John's Oxf.) 3 Nan englisc preost ne cue dihtan oe asmeagean anne pistol on leden. OE Royal Charter: William I to Bishop William, Gosfrith the Portreeve, & Burghers of London in A. J. Robertson Laws Kings England (1925) 230 Willelm kyng gret..ealle a burhwaru binnan Londone, Frencisce & Englisce, freondlice. lOE Laws of Æelred II (Corpus Cambr. 383) II. v. 222 Gyf Ænglisc man Deniscne ofsleo. lOE Laws: Dunsæte (Corpus Cambr.) vi. 376 Nah naer to farenne ne Wilisc man on Ænglisc land ne Ænglisc on Wylisc e ma. a1161 Royal Charter: Henry II to Certain Bishops, Earls, Sheriffs, & Thegns in J. Hall Sel. Early Middle Eng. (1920) 11 H[enry] urh godes efu ænglelandes king gret..ealle mine einas, frencisce & englisce. c1175 Anglo-Saxon Chron. (Tiber. B.i) anno 1066, a wes er an of Norwegan e wistod et Englisce folc. c1225 (?OE) Homily: Sicut Oves absque Pastore (Worcester F.174) in J. Hall Sel. Early Middle Eng. (1920) 1 anctus beda was iboren her on breotene mid us & he wisliche [writen] awende at eo englisc leoden urh weren ilerde. c1275 (?a1200) LAAMON Brut (Calig.) l. 14674 Of Englen heo comen and er-of heo nomen nomen, and letten heom cleopien..at folc at wes Ænglis. c1300 St. Wulstan (Laud) l. 79 in C. Horstmann Early S.-Eng. Legendary (1887) 73 e englische barones bicomen some on-treowe and false. a1398 J. TREVISA tr. Bartholomaeus Anglicus De Proprietatibus Rerum (BL Add.) f. 173v, Seint Gregory seith ynglysshe children to sellyng at Rome..and herde at ey were Inglysshe. 1489 (a1380) J. BARBOUR Bruce (Adv.) I. 193 Schyrreffys and bailheys maid he [sc. Edward I]..off Inglis nation. 1549 J. OLDE tr. Erasmus Paraphr. Eph. Prol. E ij, The kynges maiesties playne Englyshe subiectes vnderstande none other but theyr owne natiue barayne tongue. 1585 J. SHARROCK tr. C. Ocland Valiant Actes & Victorious Battailes Eng. Nation sig. Biiiiv, Lady Isabell, out from whose loynes did spring..the mightie English king. 1623 SHAKESPEARE & J. FLETCHER Henry VIII III. i. 142 Would I had neuer trod this English Earth. 1645 T. FULLER Good Thoughts in Bad Times III. i. 126 The English Embassadour. 1682 C. NESS Key to Absalom & Achitophel 19 Next is our English Queen the Poets Scorn, Because she's Barren, She must be forlorn. 1740 G. JONES Further Acct. Progress Welsh Charity-schools 15 Can you not in a prudent and deliberate Way try the Attempt of setting up amongst your selves the same or better Methods, for the Benefit and Instruction of the neglected Poor and Ignorant amongst the English People? 1765 T. HUTCHINSON Hist. Col. Massachusetts-Bay i. 146 Freedom might be..granted to all truly English. 1796 H. HUNTER tr. J. H. B. de Saint-Pierre Stud. Nature (1799) III. 707, I embarked on board an English ship which had sailed round the world. 1805 SCOTT Lay of Last Minstrel IV. xvii. 108 Now every English eye, intent, On Branksome's armed towers was bent. 1852 G. B. EARP Gold Colonies Austral. 102 To give the English reader an idea of its present condition. 1872 E. W. ROBERTSON Hist. Ess. 215 The gradual extension of the English name in the course of the 10th century is very perceptible. 1938 Amer. Home Jan. 32/2 (caption) An eighteenth century overmantel of refined English baroque influence enriches a spacious living room. 1991 N.Y. Rev. Bks. 5 Dec. 13/1 He is seen going to a tailor to be fitted out in an English suit. 2006 D. WINNER Those Feet 174 If you support a team that is not rubbish, but plays well and wins, you feel that you are somehow missing out on the spirit of English football.

2. Designating animals and plants native to or originating in England or Britain, esp. to distinguish them from similar or related species encountered elsewhere. Cf. Special uses 2, English sparrow n. at Special uses 3.

eOE Bald's Leechbk. (Royal) III. viii. 312 Vi bite wyrc sealfe, nim as wyrte, safenan & mersc mealwan & attorlaan..hegeclife, clufung, englisc moru, dynige. OE Lacnunga xxx. 110 To wensealfe: Nim elenan & rædic, cyrfillan & hræmnes fot, ængliscne næp & finul & saluian [etc.]. 1432 in J. C. Tingey Rec. City of Norwich (1910) II. 390 Plank it with englyssh oke of hert er ebel of a resonable thiknes. 1548 W. TURNER Names of Herbes sig. C.iv, Chamedrys called..in englishe Germander or englishe Triacle. 1615 R. HAMOR True Disc. Present Estate Virginia 23 Crabbes great store, lesse, but not so sower as ours, which grafted with the Siens of English aple trees, without question would beare very good fruite. 1624 J. SMITH Gen. Hist. Virginia II. 27 The Woolues [are] not much bigger then our English Foxes. 1734 E. ALBIN Nat. Hist. Birds II. 37 The Banana Bird from Jamaica..of the Bigness of our English Starling. 1802 WORDSWORTH Redbreast chasing Butterfly 3 The pious bird with the scarlet breast, Our little English Robin. 1832 J. PICKERING Inq. of Emigrant 59 Thousands of long large flies, similar to the English dragon fly, but a little smaller, are flying about the fields. 1920 Glasgow Herald 14 May 8 For pure bel canto the English blackbird is hard to beat. 1993 Harrowsmith Dec. 56/1 Vancouverites and Victorians..enjoy occasional colour from spring things such as pansies, English daisies, primroses and wallflowers.

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

Someone buy this dictionary--If I did not have one already I would. I use mine all the time for any book idea I have I look up all the words related--it just expands your ideas--invaluable tool for writers--and do not think that computer or online dictionaries can compare--they can not!

www.stevelightart.com

I bought mine before the internet was born. I still use it, even though I can get it online now with my library card. It's a diachronic, not synchronic, dictionary. You get the history of the word as well as its meanings or changes in meaning, from Old English on. It's a classic, all pages photographically reduced in size to fit in one volume. Comes with a wonderful hemispherical magnifier -- I've never seen anything quite like it. It's a Rolls-Royce among dictionaries. I'll never sell mine, that's for sure. A little paradise for word lovers.

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files