Edison Herald Grande

stevlight

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4709095276_b5182705f7.jpg

REASON FOR ORDERING:

I ordered an Edison Herald Grande from Brian as soon as I heard it was about the size of the Mont Blanc 149. The 149 is my favorite pen to draw with. I love the weight and size for my hands and the nibs and ink-view window. Lately I have been using Platinum Carbon Black ink and while I love it's super blackness and super waterproofness it is a high maintenance ink. I flush all my pens on the 1st and 15th of the month to keep up with PCB ink and the pistons on the 149 and the inability to remove the nibs, make them hard to clean. The idea of an eyedropper with all the parts--nib,feed,section removable to clean and scrub with a toothbrush appealed to me.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4709089768_abcb54c482.jpg

DESIGN:

I contacted Brian and asked for a Herald Grande in Red/Black ebonite with amber ink-view window. I also needed the pen to post VERY securely--He said the Herald was a good choice then. This pen holds a ton of ink and with these ink dropper bottles I found at the art supply store I can fill it on the go. Here is the link to the Rapidiograph ink bottle--DO NOT USE the ink that comes with the bottle empty it and fill it with fountain pen ink!http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4708454437_f1d107ae54_m.jpg

NIB:

I asked for a B nib that flips to a fine and Brian did a fabulous job with the nib. It is his 18K nib and it is a pleasure. I did adjust the feed--I widened the channel to make the nib write wetter--something that I am happy I was able to do so easily because the pen is so simple to take apart. I like my nibs VERY wet even though I asked Brian to make it wet--which it was---I should tell people I like Really really really wet!! I think it is a drawing thing--you make lines faster when drawing and longer lines so the feed needs to keep up with your hand.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4709092058_e96b23ee01.jpg

SIZE:

It is a huge pen--I LOVE it!! It is slightly longer than the 149 but the same girth and just slightly lighter.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4709089180_396e8cf87b.jpg

Here it is with a Pelikan M800, Pelikan M1000, Edison Herald,MB 149, MB 146,Waterman No.5 red ripple, Waterman 52

More Pics for fun!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4708449271_ee62a11d57.jpg

You can see the line variation I can get from flipping the pen.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4708452719_65427fb0b8.jpg

That red/black ebonite looks good with my worn leather cover to my sketchbook.--These two will be my constant companions for a long time!!

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevlight

• karmakoda

• HelzBelz

• reprieve

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really beautiful pen, and it does match your sketchbook cover very nicely. :puddle:

<font size="1">Inked: Pelikan 400nn, Pilot VP, Pelikan M400, Pelikan M200, Pelikan 400, Pelikan M101n, Esterbrook SJ<br> | <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27410410@N05/>Flickr</a> <br></font>

I still use and love the Huron--Brian did an amazing job on a flex nib on that --I use it now as an eyedropper instead of a bulbfiller--since i only carry the dropper ink bottle around with me now. I like the size and balance of the herald grande a little better than the huron when posted. The Huron is back heavy when posted and does not post as securely.

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

Thanks for this review! I have been curious about this new grande size ever since I ran across photos of a tortoise celluloid grande on Brian's flickr page.

Wow, is that pretty. I think I know what my next Edison is going to be: a Herald Grande!

Fabulous combination you picked out, stevlight. I can't imagine a pen matching your sketchbook more perfectly than this one does. :thumbup:

read, write, grade essays, repeat

Excellent review and photos. Always a pleasure to see your drawings, Steve.

My only concern about the Edison pens has been the step down at the threads, but it does not seem to be an issue for you, and your pens get a lot of use, so I'm assuming it is comfortable.

Did Brian alter the step for you? Your Herald appears to have less of a "bump" than others I have seen.

Congrats

Greg

How long have you had that sketchbook cover?

Steve:

What character that cover exhibits. A lifetime of use. What stories it could tell. What a beautiful set of tools for your daily work. I'm envious of your skills as well as your tools. Jim

Did Brian alter the step for you? Your Herald appears to have less of a "bump" than others I have seen.

I asked for no step and Brian is very accommodating!

About 1+ years. It looks older than it is because i covered the leather with black scuff-magic shoe polish which has started to wear away and give a nice old look to it! The cover is from Gfeller casemakers and covers an Exacompta sketchbook--very FP-friendly. I carry it and a fountain pen or two everywhere I go!!

www.stevelightart.com

About 1+ years. It looks older than it is because i covered the leather with black scuff-magic shoe polish which has started to wear away and give a nice old look to it! The cover is from Gfeller casemakers and covers an Exacompta sketchbook--very FP-friendly. I carry it and a fountain pen or two everywhere I go!!

Thank You Steve

Again, a wonderful review, and I no longer have any excuses not to aquire one of these handmade pens. Brian is well on his way to becoming an American Artisan Icon, encouraging in this particular Era. He must me an incredibly organized and hard-working person.

Regards

Greg

Footnote:

The ease of disassembling and cleaning is very important. Another plus to the Edison. I am not looking forward to having to ship my 149s off to be cleaned and resealed. My old forties Montblancs come apart, and are cleaned in minutes, no special tools.

The ease of disassembling and cleaning is very important. Another plus to the Edison. I am not looking forward to having to ship my 149s off to be cleaned and resealed. My old forties Montblancs come apart, and are cleaned in minutes, no special tools.

Absolutely--I LOVE my Mb's but the maintenance is a problem. These are easy to clean and Brian at a pen show gave me a few extra feeds so i can play with them to get the flow just right. He really is an amazing guy. I think Edison pens is going to be the next GREAT pen company!

www.stevelightart.com

I like what he's done with that, too - I like the Herald design and have considered it but had reservations about the section step. I was considering the Huron but the overall design isn't quite as attractive to me.

What did this one set you back, if you don't mind my asking? I don't see it on Brian's site yet.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

That sucker is HUGE! I think the next step up is a hollowed out baseball bat.

Brian at a pen show gave me a few extra feeds so i can play with them to get the flow just right. He really is an amazing guy.

Now that's just too cool! I just love all these Edison reviews. I'm thinking I know where the next major purchase will come from.