What Waterman pens do you own?

Onion

Re-awakening this thread surprised me when I saw that I had mentioned four Watermans above with a slightly jokey comment about "starting to get serious". Ah, the good old days, or naivety of youth, or some such.

My Waterman list now comprises these twelve (photos another time):

Exception Ideal black

Expert II

Edson, in emerald

Man 100 Opera, pre-1990

Man 100 Opera, circa 1997 (globe nib)

3 x Man 100 Patricians, in red, green and blue

32 in plain black celluloid

52, red hard rubber

52, gold-filled (0552)

52 1/2V, black hard rubber

Of the more modern eight pens, F and M nibs are four each. The older four ( the x2 pens) have fine but somewhat flexy nibs. I would say I am especially in love with using the Man 100s except I would not be parted from most of the others, either. Right now, the 32 (2A nib), 52 RHR and 52 1/2V are inked and all a pleasure to use.

At the moment I am still establishing my Onoto collection so the Waterman side is likely to remain quiet unless I see some good opportunity, most probably adding to the x2 or Man 100 sets rather than expanding into new areas (or adding Edsons).

A stub Carène is sadly missing.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• Sinistral1

• HalloweenHJB

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought my first le Man 200 NOS - it completes my Waterman collection! I only collected the Gentlemans and their two predecessors (Man 21 and Faucette). The le Man succeeded the Gentleman.

I welcome anyone here to correct my timeline sequence if it's wrong or if I'm missing a pen in the lineup. Thank you!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

To my list above I have added a 52 red ripple and a 452 1/2v, and now feel comfortable with the list, excepting that I plan to sell one of the Operas rather than keeping two of the same pen, same colour.

X

I have a Waterman Expert Black Fountain pen with gold plated clip and a M nib that I have ground to an EEF size (EF japanese). I find this is one of my best ergonomic and balanced pens for my hand. When I write with it, the sound the ground nib makes on the paper is like the windsurf board crossing the sea water, I so much adore it...

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

fpn_1473755009__image.jpeg

Here is my Gentleman collection starting at left with a Faucette, then a Man 21 with a Super 6 nib and one with a regular nib, then the Gentlemen in gold, silver, black, blue, green, maroon and brown. The one at the bottom is my pride and joy - a blue Gentleman owned by the King of Jordan for use as a gift to guests. Sorry the photo is so dark, it was taken with my phone.

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Only have one at present, a hemisphere fine point. Sadly, the best (smoothest writer) I ever owned is no longer around. Bought it about 40 years ago at harrods in London; used it for probably 10 years before I dropped it (on the nib, of course).

As of today:

Hundred Year Pen maroon Amber jewel

Medalist black gold filled clip and band

Preface silver plate

52 celluloid green with red veins

3 black nickel trim

32 black red veins

All are excellent writers.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, let's see: a) Ideal lever fill, 14k #2A - In rotation, gorgeous pen, love that gold nib!

B) Master/SuperMaster hybrid (? - or unindentified) w/ 18k nib.

c) Expert II, (N.I.B.)

d) Expert II DeLuxe - In rotation, my best writer and current favorite even with a steel nib!

e) Carene Contemporary, 18k gold rhodium plated

f) Ligne 60, 18k #3

g) Gold Moire C/F, 14k plate, 18k #3 nib. - Very nice pen. (The C/F was designed by Harley Earl of Buick fame!)

h) Executive, 18k

i) (2) Exclusives, 18k

j) (10) Laureats, Type I - All different

k) (6) Laureats, Type II - All different

l) Vintage Chromo w/ 18ct. nib (European ?)

m) Hemisphere, vintage brown lacquer, and

n) Forum (European market only)

There is nothing in pendom to compare with a soft 18k nib with a little spring. So you can guess how good a writer my steel nibbed Expert II Deluxe is!

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned somewhere that I had bought an 0552 pen and pencil set after a month of discussions over the price. I was cautious because I know the sac needs replacement, which carries at least some risk, and the pencil was described as lacking internals which sounded pretty fatal for it. There were also the usual risks around cracks, scratches and quality of the nib. As it was I did not find until I received it that the pen was monogrammed.

Given all of that, I am pretty pleased so far, and this photo will help to explain why.

post-129543-0-31277100-1478064610_thumb.jpg

Under the felt tray were non-mentioned paraphernalia providing not only original Waterman documents but also some provenance for the set. The Waterman leaflet and cards explain how to use this (and other) pens, how to use the pencil, and an offer to exchange the nib. The hand-written document, dated 8 August 1928, says the set was given to [indecipherable, presumably starting with J as in the monogram] "From. The Owners, Trainers and Jockeys".

Was it given to the horse?

I have not yet time to start on repair nor on investigating the pencil. At the time, I will be doing so with great care because quite apart from having a case and documents to add value, I can see that the body of both the pen and pencil are simply flawless; not a mark on the gold or the hard rubber anywhere beyond the unworn Waterman imprints. The horse was not a big writer.

X

I mentioned somewhere that I had bought an 0552 pen and pencil set after a month of discussions over the price. I was cautious because I know the sac needs replacement, which carries at least some risk, and the pencil was described as lacking internals which sounded pretty fatal for it. There were also the usual risks around cracks, scratches and quality of the nib. As it was I did not find until I received it that the pen was monogrammed.

Given all of that, I am pretty pleased so far, and this photo will help to explain why.

attachicon.gif0552 set 112.jpg

Under the felt tray were non-mentioned paraphernalia providing not only original Waterman documents but also some provenance for the set. The Waterman leaflet and cards explain how to use this (and other) pens, how to use the pencil, and an offer to exchange the nib. The hand-written document, dated 8 August 1928, says the set was given to [indecipherable, presumably starting with J as in the monogram] "From. The Owners, Trainers and Jockeys".

Was it given to the horse?

I have not yet time to start on repair nor on investigating the pencil. At the time, I will be doing so with great care because quite apart from having a case and documents to add value, I can see that the body of both the pen and pencil are simply flawless; not a mark on the gold or the hard rubber anywhere beyond the unworn Waterman imprints. The horse was not a big writer.

I suspect he would have preferred a bucket of oats. I bet he had a long face when he saw the pen set :lticaptd:

Further to the pencil "problems", the ad said specifically that the innards were missing. After a bit of fiddling I found that the only thing missing appears to have been someone's knowledge of how to use an old mechanical pencil; one which works quite similarly to a new mechanical pencil. There was even a lead in the spout, with a broken end but waiting to be wound out and used. There were no spares under the rear cap.

I conjecture that, with no lead visible at the writing point, they tried the rear cap and found that it unscrewed, looked inside, saw empty space and darkness (the spare lead space) and concluded the innards were gone.

X

post-80360-0-82771300-1478375674_thumb.jpgpost-80360-0-52262300-1478375696_thumb.jpg I do have quite a few Watermans but this is my favourite. It has an ultra smooth broad ball point nib. Unfortunately I can't use it because it leaks and repair would damage the solid gold overlay so I just look at it lovingly.

Last mention, I promise.

The 0552 above came apart without difficulty, implying no dried ink in the section-to-barrel join. The barrel and cap were clean, the sac simply dried and crumbled. Washing the section produced no tell-tale ink traces. I believe this pen has never been inked! Barring the engraving, I appear to have 88 year old NOS.

That is, for the pen and the pencil not a single one of the risks for which I had allowed eventuated. :bunny01:

A new sac is on with the shellac drying. By tomorrow both pen and pencil will be together in service.

Chuffed am I. B)

X