The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Servicing The Filler Of An Omas Extra Faceted

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 ceac

ceac

Great minds discuss ideas - Small minds discuss people

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 15:36

TNX hari! 

I'm trying to fix an Ogiva Vespucci I bought recently and your post was a great help. 

I have one problem still though .... when I reassemble the pen the piston does go up when I turn the knob clockwise, but when I turn the knob anti-clockwise the piston doesn't go down and remains in its upper position  :blush:

Any help is welcome ...

BTW ... I've also looked at this video for instructions (relevant part starts at 4:00) ...https://www.youtube....h?v=5q-z_GAQVfo

Attached Images

• vespucci 001.JPG
  • vespucci 002.JPG

Sponsored Content

#42 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 16:29

Hi, pls shine a torch into the barrel and make sure the tab (on the barrel wall) that engages with the slot on the piston shaft, is intact.

If the tab is missing, under some circumstances, the shaft will still be pulled up by the resistance provided by the static friction between the piston seal and walls. but when you try to extend the piston, it will simply rotate.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#43 ceac

ceac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 17:35

I checked and the tab (flange/rim) is there and has a perfectly round hole in it, so seems to be OK.

The diameter of the tab is a bit larger than that of the piston shaft. The piston shaft is pushed through it easily though and doesn't 'engage' ... is that how it is supposed to be?

#44 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 17:57

I checked and the tab (flange/rim) is there and has a perfectly round hole in it, so seems to be OK.

The diameter of the tab is a bit larger than that of the piston shaft. The piston shaft is pushed through it easily though and doesn't 'engage' ... is that how it is supposed to be?

nope. it sounds like the tab has sheared off the flange/rim and is now missing. let me try to get a picture of how the tab should look like.

the tab is a rectangular key that engages the matching "keyway"/slot on the piston shaft.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#45 ceac

ceac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 18:07

so if I understand correctly there is a part missing inside the barrel (the tab) ?

#46 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 18:36

so if I understand correctly there is a part missing inside the barrel (the tab) ?

sounds like it. yes.

#47 ceac

ceac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 18:54

sounds like it. yes.

Dang  :wallbash:

Guess I'll try and contact Omas Italy to ask if they can repair it at a reasonable price ..

TNX for your help!!

#48 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 19:24

Please keep us informed.

As Hari pointed, probably the "torque transmission" pin has been sheared away.

When I had a problem with my Vespucci, they advised me to take special care with the filler unit as they had no more spares (and I physically was in Omas HQ in Bologna).

Best wishes, hope I'm wrong. 

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#49 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 19:32

Hi Enrico, nice to hear from you.

Ceac, It is possible to fabricate a replacement part and install inside barrel as already demonstrated by Francis here: http://www.fountainp...filler-problem/

#50 ceac

ceac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 19:47

Gracie for your support !!

If only I had the skills of Francis I could give that a try, but I'm afraid that is way out of my league 

Going by Enrico's story I'm afraid Omas can't be of help too anymore .... Maybe I should decide to use the pen as an eyedropper. The section screws off very easily and one fill would last for weeks  :)

#51 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2015 - 20:12

Hi Enrico, nice to hear from you.

Ceac, It is possible to fabricate a replacement part and install inside barrel as already demonstrated by Francis here: http://www.fountainp...filler-problem/

Hi Hari, thanks.

As usual, your information are amazingly useful.

Took good note of Francis solution, hoping it is never needed (and just reinked my A.V., after a long rest..). 

Gracie for your support !!

If only I had the skills of Francis I could give that a try, but I'm afraid that is way out of my league 

Going by Enrico's story I'm afraid Omas can't be of help too anymore .... Maybe I should decide to use the pen as an eyedropper. The section screws off very easily and one fill would last for weeks  :)

I think you should try contacting Omas anyway, the Vespucci is such a charm it deserves it.

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

#52 McKool

McKool

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:49

Fantastic maintenance advice and photo's Hari!

While this thread may have aged a little, the love and need to care for Omas pens never dies.  It is a joy and a credit to have people such as "Hari" provide awesome advice on caring for our pens.  I have a number Omas Paragon pens that I've used for over 15 years now and they need some lubrication as they just seem to be a little tight and stiff more so than when they were new.  Thanks so much Hari and glad we have such great people as you!

All the best!

#53 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 22:36

I recently acquired a rather pretty Extra in blue, which leaked a little from the piston knob and clearly needs some TLC.

Following your instructions, Hari, I have successfully taken it apart (hand pressure only: no tools or even hot water needed).

This is what I found inside:

fpn_1471040240__omas_extra-blue_disassem

The black stuff caked all over the piston and the inside of the pen is not dried ink; it's crumbly and artificial (plastic, I should think). I'm guessing it's something to do with the remnants of a sealant that is still just about visible on the section threads - any ideas?

My plan is to soak everything in water (happening now) and then carefully scrape off all the gunk from the inside of the pen, the piston and the section/nib before putting it all through the ultrasonic cleaner. I'd prefer to leave the nib in its housing, so won't immediately disassemble it.

Once I've cleaned everything up, I'm wondering about the best way to seal up the the section.

Rick Propas suggests shellac and teflon plumber's tape: that sounds very thorough, but also a little complicated. I'll do it if needed, but maybe there's an easer way that is almost as good. The Good Captain simply used silicone grease, which would be my preferred option if if works long-term. Can anyone share their own experience (and Captain, any thoughts two years later)?

Thanks!

#54 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 19:44

I recently acquired a rather pretty Extra in blue, ...

The black stuff caked all over the piston and the inside of the pen is not dried ink; it's crumbly and artificial (plastic, I should think). I'm guessing it's something to do with the remnants of a sealant that is still just about visible on the section threads - any ideas?

My plan is to soak everything in water (happening now) and then carefully scrape off all the gunk from the inside of the pen, the piston and the section/nib before putting it all through the ultrasonic cleaner. I'd prefer to leave the nib in its housing, so won't immediately disassemble it.

An update. In the end, I had to disassemble the nib as well, and physically scrape out the encrusted ink from the channel and off the nib itself. Then I added silicone grease to the barrel, and section threads, and I have a wonderful writer. It took a bit of fiddling to get the piston in the right position (so that the knob was flush with the barrel), but overall it wasn't a very hard job.

Also, some more information on the pen itself: it's a special edition Bufetti anniversary pen, in Ogiva format ("140 Anni", from the early 1990s, I believe). It's about 147mm capped.

#55 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2016 - 23:06

I wonder if the torque transmission pin and flange are standard across a number of models? Perhaps we should make up a 3D printer file for it so that we can keep these great old pens going!

Thanks,

Ralf

#56 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:15

A pdf file of my original post including the missing pictures is now available for download from the following link:

https://ia601507.us....tra Faceted.pdf

#57 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 18:00

A pdf file of my original post including the missing pictures is now available for download from the following link:

https://ia601507.us....tra Faceted.pdf

Just discovered this excellent informative  post…

Thanks Hari !

Francis 

#58 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 22:33

Followed the instructions and managed to get the section off, but wasn't able to screw the Piston all the way out. This is on a 1997 celluloid Paragon. Stopped before I did any harm, and put some silicon grease on the barrel walls. It's helped a bit, but I'd really like to get in there and grease the whole mechanism. Any thoughts?

"Oh deer."

#59 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:00

First thought is to leave it as is. If its better with the grease applied. Since attempting to remove can go wrong esp if you are new.

Omas used section sealant on the threads. The piston head has to cross the barrel threads. The barrel threads might still be cruddy. Take a wooden toothpick and clean the barrel threads thoroughly. Apply a bit of silicone grease to the barrel threads and now attempt to remove the piston fully.

Good luck!

#60 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:02

Just discovered this excellent informative  post
Thanks Hari !
Francis 

thank you Francis.

Sponsored Content

|