Parkervacumatic Lamp Desk Base

macquid

Does anybody else here have a Parker Vac lamp desk base like this one, or know somebody who does?

I'm trying to determine whether the white color on the lamp's support arm is the original color...

It looks like original baked enamel, no brush marks, etc. But the white is like you'd find on a kitchen stove or fridge from the time period, "kinda feels" like it should be copper or black in color...

post-21410-035245500 1276366316.jpg

post-21410-070305700 1276366336.jpg

post-21410-003552800 1276366361.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• algabatz

• twopens

• macquid

• georges zaslavsky

Does anybody else here have a Parker Vac lamp desk base like this one, or know somebody who does?

I'm trying to determine whether the white color on the lamp's support arm is the original color...

It looks like original baked enamel, no brush marks, etc. But the white is like you'd find on a kitchen stove or fridge from the time period, "kinda feels" like it should be copper or black in color...

I saw it on the bay, but I had just bought the one below, and couldn't really justify two!

I have never seen that particular model before. Mine has definitely been repainted:

http://parkercollector.com/bilder/lamp.jpg

...as one can see comparing it to Mr Rick Propas' lamp:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Cg39F8OH8W4/SFArex2seTI/AAAAAAAAAAs/JUHHaaPIU9A/s320/DSCN1387.jpg

And Mr Ron Ricketts lamp:

http://topazgold.com/ronspens/pen%20lamp.jpg

And Mr Tsachi Mitsenmacher's:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/tsachi-m/IMG_0229.jpg

Or the one current for sale on eBay (missing a panel):

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=360269688811

... and another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320547047008

I can't tell how this helps, but at least my guess is that Your's is the more uncommon one :-)

/Tony

Edited by algabatz

@ Tony/Vintage: Your (beautiful) Parker lamp was a "for professional use" point of sale display item, rather than a consumer market item like my Vac desk base lamp was. Though, as can be seen in the photos you attached, it does very well as a personal desk lamp too :-)

BTW, I have a further variant of the shop counter-top lamp similar to yours, and attach a photo below...

post-21410-039824800 1276372315.jpg

post-21410-037415900 1276372328.jpg

Edited by macquid

@ Tony/Vintage: Your (beautiful) Parker lamp was a "for professional use" point of sale display item, rather than a consumer market item like my Vac desk base lamp was. Though, as can be seen in the photos you attached, it does very well as a personal desk lamp too :-)

BTW, I have a further variant of the shop counter-top lamp similar to yours, and attach a photo below...

Beautiful!

/T

very nice memorablia :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

Would you able to add a photo showing the wording on the tab at the rear of the brass cover/bottle hold-down? ("Flush pen in water before filling" with a white arrow pointing to the right?) I recently purchased a Parker lamp that uses the same walnut/brass base, but has a painted shade instead of brass. The brass on the base looks to be blackened with the wording painted on like yours, but the entire lamp has 6 or 7 coats of paint and I'm pretty sure I'll to restore/redo all the wording.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by twopens

That it's chipped or worn down to bare metal in places tends to indicate (to me anyway) that the color is original. It is a beautiful lamp. The cord appears to have been replaced though. I don't think that is a negative in any way.

I think I have a desk pen and holder that looks like that one (not the lamp, just a base with trumpet and pen) but mine isn't a vac, it's a duofold.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 3 years later...

Hi Macquid: Regarding your Parker Vac lamp with pen holder, I have an example in my collection. Everything is identical, including the cream colored arm with base. Joe Nemecek

Just for comfirmation's sake: beside the monochrome image of that very set in the '38 catalogue, it says "Walnut Base. Metal Shade and Ivory Finish." $12.50 with a Challenger, $15.00 with a Junior Vac, $17.50 with the Major Vac, and it looks like you've got the Sealomatic bowl, too.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg