The Fake Spotted Here Thread...

hari317

Spotted this fake being sold as a Montblanc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mont-Blanc-Meisterstuck-Fountain-Pen-/170496630504?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b2641ee8

Reasons:

Most obvious: IPG nib

Poorly made clip in the 5th photo.

Ist photo shows wear in the distal end of the barrel, probably the paint/lacquer has worn off the metal barrel. MB Meisterstucks of this size are wholly plastic and do not have a metal core.

Pls feel free to add to this thread whenever you find a Fake MB listed on ebay or other fora.

Edit: Reasons added for declaring this a fake.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• jar

• Scrawler

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good thread Hari. This will help in protecting inexperienced MB lovers from getting burned.

I am actually surprised by how much money people are willing to pay for such a bad fake.

Inexperienced buyers buying from inexperienced faker.

Edited by markiv

Did anyone tell the seller it's a fake? There are 19 bids. :headsmack:

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

My favorite part of the listing is the section titled "Authenticity Points for Verification." The listing mentions that it is a real MB because it says Mont Blanc Meiserstruck round the band. But, look at the fourth photo and it appears to read, "MONLBLANC." Ha ha ha. That's a terrible fake. Listing reported as fraudulent.

My favorite part of the listing is the section titled "Authenticity Points for Verification." The listing mentions that it is a real MB because it says Mont Blanc Meiserstruck round the band. But, look at the fourth photo and it appears to read, "MONLBLANC." Ha ha ha. That's a terrible fake. Listing reported as fraudulent.

Is there any point in reporting frauds on ebay? I have don it in the past on several occasions and nothing was done. I have also reported the sale of fakes to MontBlanc and they also took no notice.

:rolleyes: First time I've seen precious resin with a dent in it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Now US$ 102,oo for a "m-o-n-L-b-l-a-n-c"!! Are people crazy?! :headsmack:

Edited by fabrimedeiros

A truly poor fake in this instance. The quality of the photos are also bad. I won't buy anything from anyone with such low feedback or poor photos.

I think people are more likely to start their own thread though than post in this one as this thread is geared to people posting details of known fakes. Most threads are started by someone who wants confirmation as to whether a specific auction is genuine or not.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

...edit...

Is there any point in reporting frauds on ebay?

Probably not. Or very little point. But it is so easy to report, why not do it, anyway.

It's not as if it's going to take up a whole evening. A couple of clicks and I feel as though I may have done something worthwhile.

Even if nothing comes of it.

Here's another one, which is a scam, rather than a fake. Seen a couple of these recently, exactly same picture and description. 1970s MB 149 (3 available!). Pens don't exist. Reported.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300434803234&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

Edited to add link

Edited by CS388

...edit...

Is there any point in reporting frauds on ebay?

Probably not. Or very little point. But it is so easy to report, why not do it, anyway.

It's not as if it's going to take up a whole evening. A couple of clicks and I feel as though I may have done something worthwhile.

That's why I report, takes away any guilt on my part. I just feel so bad for the poor sap who was probably so psyched to get a deal ($105!), or just didn't know enough about pens, that he or she gets taken.

Scary thread if you ask me! I belong to another forum that has a sub forum for fakes that got out of control and their server ended up getting hammered left and right by the crooks! Their server was down for quite awhile and took them a lot of time to restore back to it's original format! Just use extra precautions! :thumbup:

your pen silently speaks about your character!

The decernable portions of the pen show elements of a super cheap copy with not only the detail being off but the dimensions of the item being wrong and the photos are so sub-standard I never could understand how people bid on items such as this. I see it all the time with wrist-watch sales as well.

Terrible fake but it sold!

I simply will not buy of e-bay any longer as I have been stung three times and despite reporting seller's to e-bay they have taken no action and I have never received any form of communication from them let alone any financial re-imbursment!

I have even sold on e-bay, the buyer reported me for not receiving item, despite it being signed for, claimed money back via his credit card company and paypal debited my paypal account even though post office confirmed the item was delivered and signed for and provided a copy of signed delivery note neither e-bay or paypal bothered to correspond with me!! Buyer not seen on e-bay since! :mad:

Nigel

Edited by Izzy

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Terrible fake but it sold!

I simply will not buy of e-bay any longer as I have been stung three times and despite reporting seller's to e-bay they have taken no action and I have never received any form of communication from them let alone any financial re-imbursment!

I have even sold on e-bay, the buyer reported me for not receiving item, despite it being signed for, claimed money back via his credit card company and paypal debited my paypal account even though post office confirmed the item was delivered and signed for and provided a copy of signed delivery note neither e-bay or paypal bothered to correspond with me!! Buyer not seen on e-bay since! :mad:

Nigel

That was a common scam. A friend of mine sold a lot of coins on e-bay, got paid, and then got busy in the shop, so he didn't get them packaged and shipped THAT day, but packaged them to ship that evening. The next morning he was debited the amount of the sale due to "non delivery". He contacted Paypal and asked what had happened as he had not even had the chance to ship the items yet. Paypal told him he hadn't delivered the items! He asked them to check the date, at which point they saw the problem. He stopped accepting Paypal at that point. When Ebay changed the rules to require sellers to accept Paypal. He stopped selling on ebay. As I did. He was fortunate that the "buyer" hadn't waited a couple of days before "reporting" him. He was able to keep his coins. If he had been just a little quicker with shipping it would have cost him dearly. Now it's so far the other way, when a seller doesn't deliver the buyer is usually out the money...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

The blurb says "May not be original nib", yet the entire focus of the photo is on the nib and there are none of the rest of the pen.

The blurb says "May not be original nib", yet the entire focus of the photo is on the nib and there are none of the rest of the pen.

Well at least this listing has been removed.

Well at least this listing has been removed.

I am glad to have found out he was a scammer, because he was advertising other pens that would have been of interest to me.

Here we go, then.

Montblanc 146, with box and papers, brand new, Buy-it-now for $12.99. From China with zero feedback. Fancy your chances?

More than 10 available!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-B-Meisterstuck-146-Fountain-Pen-M-/280515798546?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41500b6612

Edited to add link

Edited by CS388